Levelling blocks - Pro's and Con's of different types

gedger

So far we have always managed without levelling blocks but a couple of times we have thought it would have been nice to have a more level van so I started to have a look round.

You seem to be able to get a wedge type, a stepped wedge with 3 levels and an adjustable height wedge (http://www.milenco.com/levelling_ramp.html).

The plain wedge seems to offer any height but presumably the van is always trying to roll down, is this a problem? The stepped wedge gives less height choice but would appear to be less likely to roll off. The adjustable wedge seems like a good idea but I can imagine you'd have to keep driving off and on whilst tweaking the height, which would be a pain.

I'm currently favouring the stepped wedge type but would be interested in other peoples experience.

Thanks

Richard

We've had the plain wedges, albeit with ridges for grip, they worked fine and we didn't have a problem with 'roll off'.

We then progressed to stepped wedges which were a bit wider so we thought kinder to the tyres, these as you say stop any 'roll off' but can be a bit jerky to get on and off of.

We haven't used the adjustable ones - to be totally honest we have better things to do that adjust them by a centimeter or so.

So long as the van is fairly level and the pans don't slide off the cooker, we're happy! :-D

I use the Fiamma stepped wedges and they are OK.

I would certainly go for the wider style as Mel says, if I were to change.

Which ever style, I think it's worth while having the "back-stop" blocks, (not sure of the correct name) they do help in wet conditions.

I have also used the "back-stops" in front of the wedge to stop it slipping forward whilst driving on to the wedges and then putting them in position on the wedge after.

As Mel says, it's not a question of achieving 100% level and I find a spirit level placed on the habitation floor but viewed from the driving seat will usually get us comfortable.

Guest Tracker

A 48" length of 7 x 2 joist can be cut into three lengths about 10", 15" and 20" with a 45 degree taper at one end of each section.

A 21" length of 4 x 1 hardwood can be cut into three equal sections and each section securely screwed to the back non tapered end of each section of 7 x 2.

The three sections will then pyramid to give up to 6" of levelling in 2" increments without the need to bolt them together, but if your need for level is greater then make a fourth section out of 7 x 1 as an 'in between fillet'.

Sand and varnish the whole lot to make them easier to keep dry and clean.

It has worked well for me for over 20 years!

They will never perish or crack and will last a lifetime.

But best of all all the timber can usually be found or scrounged from a building site or skip for nowt.

Take care of the pennies and you will have more to pay taxation with.

We no longer bother with them, we found that the vehicle's suspension system counteracted in part the effects of the ramps. We did use fiamma ramps, but recently saw a German van [don't remember the marque] using what looked like wind down jacks at the back to level their van - it looked to be very effective and stable - probably also very expensive *-)

B-)

Guest Tracker

The wind down jacks are meant to be 'steadies' as on a caravan and not intended to take the full weight and it is not advisable to use them to jack the van up more than an inch or two.

You could get an old car jack or two from a breakers yard and use the same principle on the front of the van but it does seem a more fiddly method than simply driving up on a block of wood!

Tracker - 2007-10-11 4:54 PM

A 48" length of 7 x 2 joist can be cut into three lengths about 10", 15" and 20" with a 45 degree taper at one end of each section.

A 21" length of 4 x 1 hardwood can be cut into three equal sections and each section securely screwed to the back non tapered end of each section of 7 x 2.

The three sections will then pyramid to give up to 6" of levelling in 2" increments without the need to bolt them together, but if your need for level is greater then make a fourth section out of 7 x 1 as an 'in between fillet'.

Sand and varnish the whole lot to make them easier to keep dry and clean.

It has worked well for me for over 20 years!

They will never perish or crack and will last a lifetime.

But best of all all the timber can usually be found or scrounged from a building site or skip for nowt.

Take care of the pennies and you will have more to pay taxation with.

also they don,t sink as much as the fiamma ones, i bought some of the stepped ones and have put marine ply on the bottom as they slowly sank in soft ground, should have gone d.i.y. from the start, doh!

Tracker - 2007-10-11 6:17 PM

The wind down jacks are meant to be 'steadies' as on a caravan and not intended to take the full weight and it is not advisable to use them to jack the van up more than an inch or two.

You could get an old car jack or two from a breakers yard and use the same principle on the front of the van but it does seem a more fiddly method than simply driving up on a block of wood!

.. but in this case they were jacks not steadies - and they worked a treat

nice n easy - non messy - and much easier to store

B-)

I use the adjustable blocks which are now marketed by Milenco.

These were purchased at the Dusseldorf Show and having used them since September 2004 I can only say that they are superb.

Now that I use the van on my own they have been invaluable since you can feel the van wheels drop into the depression on the ramp. Adjustment is quick and easy. There is no need to put a wedge behind the wheel as you have to do with the straight ramps.

Milenco charge about twice what we paid in Germany.

JohnP - 2007-10-11 6:56 PM

I use the adjustable blocks which are now marketed by Milenco.

Milenco charge about twice what we paid in Germany.

That's a shame as they look good but no way I would pay £55 for a pair but would be tempted at £30...

Looks like a stepped wedge set for me!

Richard

Pay Pay !!!

I use a couple of bits of chamfered 10 X 3 and a couple of bricks if I can remember to bring them. Mostly I don't remember! Just move the van a bit and sleep the way round that puts your feet at the low end.

Come on Come on, who do you think we are CARAVANNERS!!

Guest Tracker

You be careful Clive or you will branded as tight fisted as me and that would be untrue and unfair now wouldn't it!

On the other hand I don't mind passing on the papier mache crown to a worthy contender with the right credentials.

'Tight Fisted Champion' - now there's a thought for a new thread - but as an expert it would be an unfair advantage for me to start it!

Clive - 2007-10-13 3:46 PM

Pay Pay !!!

I use a couple of bits of chamfered 10 X 3 and a couple of bricks if I can remember to bring them. Mostly I don't remember! Just move the van a bit and sleep the way round that puts your feet at the low end.

Well, actually Clive .... you do TOW a trailer behind you and I'm sure I read somewhere that you sometimes have a water carrier ... and a waste carrier ... oh, and of course, a gazebo or two ...... :D

Clive - 2007-10-13 3:46 PM

Pay Pay !!!

Not sure when you are jesting, Clive *-)

I also subscribe to your moving-about system as it's difficult to use levelling blocks when you don't have a navigator, but don't you have to be on the level for the fridge to work?

Makes I laugh when I see all these tuggers (and some motorhome users) putting all these bits of wood, plastic and goodness knows what else under their wheels, then get out the spirit level, up a bit, down a bit, FIRE

As long as the van is roughly level and the water isn't slopping about too much in the kettle, saucepan or what, does it really matter.

Modern refridgerators aren't so dependant upon complete levility (is there such a word !!) as they used to be.

The less there is to do on arrival or departure the better.

(lol)

Baz - 2007-10-13 8:39 PM

Makes I laugh when I see all these tuggers (and some motorhome users) putting all these bits of wood, plastic and goodness knows what else under their wheels, then get out the spirit level, up a bit, down a bit, FIRE

As long as the van is roughly level and the water isn't slopping about too much in the kettle, saucepan or what, does it really matter.

Modern refridgerators aren't so dependant upon complete levility (is there such a word !!) as they used to be.

The less there is to do on arrival or departure the better.

(lol)

Baz

I use levelling blocks and can be set-up in max 5 minutes by first checking my spirit level, moving forward or back from chosen position, getting the blocks out & into position on my own (admittedly leaving the engine running) and then driving up them. I rarely have to repeat the procedure to get an acceptable level (within the bubble for to aft & across)

Being on a level is about being comfortable to enjoy our M/H and there are numerous people with disabilities (including my wife) where a sloping van (either way) is an unnecessary hazard which can be eliminated by a few minutes extra to set up on arrival.

Guest Tracker
malc d - 2007-10-13 9:17 PM

I once read in a m/home mag that the stepped Fiamma chocs can be strenghtened by filling the underside with that spray foam stuff which sets hard. (Haven't tried it myself).

Or drill a hole in the bottom and fill with either sand or damp sand & cement mix and reseal?

Guest Tracker
flicka - 2007-10-13 10:31 PM

Or drill a hole in the bottom and fill with either sand or damp sand & cement mix and reseal?

then get the local Rugby club to unload them when you arrive on site :D :D :D

I much prefer the fill with Expanding Foam idea. >:-)

It's just that sand and cement is cheaper and they are more likely to stay in place as you drive up them.

Archived