Levelling blocks - Pro's and Con's of different types

gedger

I use the home made type of chock although did buy the plastic sort but using them puts too much strain on the clutch and I think this is one of the reasons clutches dont have a long life sometimes and having watched people performing have no doubt they have no idear the damage cooking the clutch does. home made ones are gentle and the wheel is fully on level bit before the next up piece.

J9withdogs - 2007-10-13 7:53 PM

I also subscribe to your moving-about system as it's difficult to use levelling blocks when you don't have a navigator, but don't you have to be on the level for the fridge to work?

We always use levelling blocks, but thats probably because we used to have a caravan and so have got used to the superior comfort! B-)

I normally set the chocks (Fiamma standard yellow ones) myself without the aid of the boss, its not too difficult and takes seconds all you do is drive onto the pitch and set where you want to be. Check for out of level, I just open the fridge door (side mounted centre kitchen) half way and see which direction it swings open or close, before I leave the van, then place the leveler against the outside of the wheel in the position it needs to be to give an appropriate height increase. Reverse or forward the van to miss the leveller then jumpout and put them in the same place but in line with the tread of the wheel then just drive up, simple and easier to do than describe, always do a recheck with the fridge door when I'm finished in case of any fine adjustment requirement.

Bas

I claim the cardboard crown for Pongo and my internal cardboard and foil sun screens if nothing elase!

Baz is correct regarding fridges. Since our first MH back in 1972 none since have been that worried by a slight gradient.

OK OK so I sometimes tow a trailer, main reason is to carry our motorbikes but once you have lumbered yourself with towing one might as well make use of the facility!

Next MH will have a B I G garage and adequate payload.

don't forget that the best way of checking that the van's level actually precludes you doing much about it if it ain't

ie take a glass and bottle of wine, pour wine in glass - does it look level ??

reduce quantity of wine in glass and check it again - does it look anymore level than before - reduce quantity of wine in glass topping up from bottle as necessary until you no longer really care :D :D :D :D

or words to that effect, original instructions actually a lot more detailed but I'm sure you all get the jist :D :D

B-)

J9withdogs - 2007-10-14 3:59 PM

My fridge has to be level to work, I think.

Would that just be on gas though, or on hook-up too?

we now have a compressor fridge which doesn't seem to care if it's upside down >:-) but from memory it's ok on hook up - presumably the 'flow' of gas is affected by fridge positioning.

We generally found that if the van was level enough to sleep in then the fridge seemed to work ok as well.

B-)

Guest Tracker
J9withdogs - 2007-10-14 3:59 PM

My fridge has to be level to work, I think.

Would that just be on gas though, or on hook-up too?

Your fridge probably has a 5 degree tolerance of level J9, but the handbook should tell you more depending on model.

I don't know what the gap between two diverging lines at 5 degrees and at 18' would be but I reckon it is a lot more than would be comfortable in a van? This is because these fridges are designed to work in boats at sea as well as in caravans on land - unless yours floats?

twooks - 2007-10-14 4:35 PM

don't forget that the best way of checking that the van's level actually precludes you doing much about it if it ain't

ie take a glass and bottle of wine, pour wine in glass - does it look level ??

reduce quantity of wine in glass and check it again - does it look anymore level than before - reduce quantity of wine in glass topping up from bottle as necessary until you no longer really care :D :D :D :D

or words to that effect, original instructions actually a lot more detailed but I'm sure you all get the jist :D :D

B-)

does it matter if you use red or white (lol)

Guest Tracker
malc d - 2007-10-15 7:38 PM

Be careful. Those of you using the 'alcohol' method, you could end up letting the tyres down to get the van level.

That's a brilliant idea I wish I had thought of that one!

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2007-10-15 7:51 PM

That's actually not that stupid an idea if you are really stuck and just need a little tweek to get things sorted!!!!! Just make sure you've got a way of blowing them back up again otherwise you could be 'really stuck'! :-D

Know anyone with plenty of hot air and wind Mel?

Sorry I meant anyone OTHER than me!

take a glass and bottle of wine, pour wine in glass - does it look level ??

reduce quantity of wine in glass and check it again - does it look anymore level than before - reduce quantity of wine in glass topping up from bottle as necessary until you no longer really care

Difficult to tell if it's level through the fuzziness (lol)

Guest Tracker
ajd3 - 2007-10-16 9:49 PM

take a glass and bottle of wine, pour wine in glass - does it look level ??

reduce quantity of wine in glass and check it again - does it look anymore level than before - reduce quantity of wine in glass topping up from bottle as necessary until you no longer really care

Difficult to tell if it's level through the fuzziness (lol)

If it's that fuzzy who cares anyway?

Archived