Have you ever ?

Charlieme

Left the internal fresh water tank half full during winter or shut down?

Just asking

Although its in the dark does the water become contaminated or does mildew form where condensation has settled on the side walls of the tank?

Has anyone had a look after several weeks or months to see results?

Guest Tracker

The biggest risk is from freezing especially for the water 'otter which could prove very expensive.

Much easier and safer to drain all tanks after every trip and drain the tap and boiler as well in the winter.

The object of this is thread is to ascertain if its detrimental to leave any water in the internal tanks when a vehicle is over wintering.

I personally always empty the tank and leave all taps and lids off.

Its quite possible that someone when repairing a vehicle or changing a tank will have noticed if there was any unwelcome residue or mould remaining.

So advising others in relation to future health hazards / benefits etc:

I assume therefore this may be welcomed and be of assistance to new users of M/H vehicles, particulary as we are entering the winter season and shut down for many M/H users.

Agreed, I can normally recognise a spoof but this doesn't have the feel of one.

My answer is, do not leave any water in! Drain it all down as has been said, make sure the water heater is empty as that can be expensive.

When you restart flush it though with a bit of Milton, or is it Stilton, I can never remember.

Water left standing will act as a breeding ground for all manner of microbes. The longer it's left, the more biomass in the 'ecosystem'. The biggest threat is indeed freezing, but purely on the grounds of minimising the risk of harmful microbes, I personally wouldn't leave the same water stood in my tank for more than a couple of weeks.

crinklystarfish - 2007-10-11 8:46 PM

Water left standing will act as a breeding ground for all manner of microbes. The longer it's left, the more biomass in the 'ecosystem'. The biggest threat is indeed freezing, but purely on the grounds of minimising the risk of harmful microbes, I personally wouldn't leave the same water stood in my tank for more than a couple of weeks.

'Standing' in my tank Crinkly surely? I know that you don't mind these little digs as, like me, you're a true pedant and you're welcome to respond in similar vein should I ever confuse past and present tense!

:-D :-D

Guest Tracker
crinklystarfish - 2007-10-11 8:46 PM

Water left standing will act as a breeding ground for all manner of microbes. The longer it's left, the more biomass in the 'ecosystem'. The biggest threat is indeed freezing, but purely on the grounds of minimising the risk of harmful microbes, I personally wouldn't leave the same water stood in my tank for more than a couple of weeks.

Which is why most of us drain down after every trip!

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2007-10-11 8:28 PM

C'mon guys, don't waste your time with this one, he's just having a leg pull ... :D

Being a bit gullible I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway it don't hurt to repeat good practice for the benefit of newbies old and new.

Guest Tracker

How does water 'stand'?

Although I have experienced standing waves at sea!

I thought water lay or laid (not layed - that's what chickens do to eggs)

Guest Tracker

What (?) ,now I am really lost. :-S

Get yourself a sat nav but failing that Bournemouth is the big pink blob between Southampton and Weymouth!

crinklystarfish - 2007-10-11 9:23 PM
tc102 - 2007-10-11 8:49 PM .

'Standing' in my tank Crinkly surely? ...:-D :-D

Frank, 

Passive form of past participle with a leaning to the vernacular. I think it stands OK. 

I trust that will pacify you.

Only the vernacular I'm afraid stands up there!

Mel B - 2007-10-11 8:28 PM

C'mon guys, don't waste your time with this one, he's just having a leg pull ... :D

What gives you the right to determine what's genuine or not. Charlie asked a legitimate question and if you don't have a valid point to make then keepout of the equasion. Idiot

jjg - 2007-10-11 10:41 PM
Mel B - 2007-10-11 8:28 PM C'mon guys, don't waste your time with this one, he's just having a leg pull ... :D
What gives you the right to determine what's genuine or not. Charlie asked a legitimate question and if you don't have a valid point to make then keepout of the equasion. Idiot

Oh dear, one of our more stupid members has set up a new name so he can be as offensive as he likes.

Let's think, whom have we upset lately, Jen's Grumpy Git maybe, Handyman?

Just so there's no mistake here, I know it's not Tracker, he wouldn't hide! :-D

Ps He can't spell 'equation' is this a clue?

Guest Tracker
tc102 - 2007-10-11 10:53 PM

, I know it's not Tracker, he wouldn't hide! He can't spell 'equation' is this a clue?

I would have you all know that I can spell equasion.

But I do agree that jjg has all the makings if a very nasty example of the species - but of which species I'm not sure!

Archived