Have you ever ?

Charlieme

Maybe they don't know the answer, but don't want to admit it?

I can't look into my water tank - it only has the inlet & outlet pipes- so I couldn't comment on what goes on inside.

I never use it for drinking, only washing, so it doesn't really matter to me. It gets drained if it's been standing for a while and flushed with chemicals once a year.

Is that a sensible answer? *-)

Charlie&me - 2007-10-12 11:44 PM I don't believe anyone has answered the original post. "Has anyone had a look after several weeks or months to see results" ref contamination !! Why do you have to rant at each other sooner than answer the question?

You're being a little unfair Charlie (or is it 'Me'). I too have never looked inside my tank because I can't see in it and I suspect that this is the case with everyone else.

The other reason is that we don't need to look inside our tanks because, as has been clearly stated by those who were actually trying to help you, we know enough not to leave our tanks half-full of water over the winter, so the problem will never arise.

I can look into my tank!:-D

I have to - the drain plug is located within the tank itself so I have to remove the cushions and look into it to grab the ruddy thing, not the most hygenic of set-ups and a nuisance. I then have to remember to put the ruddy thing back before filling it. Upon looking into it I have never seen anything wrong in there, but as TC102 has said, we know better than to leave water in there to go all manky, the longest it has ever been left in there unused is 4 days when, due to circumstances at the time, we were unable to empty it. Even then, it was still nice and clean, the tank that is, but I'd certainly not have drunk the water, despite it looking okay, any water left standing for more than a few days should not be consumed as you can't always 'see' the things that will do you harm.

If you really want to find out, why not go ahead and do it, you'll more than likely regret it though, especially when it comes to you having to clean it out and hopefully by then it won't have done any irreparable damage to it, or that could be a very, very expensive experiment indeed. Please do, indeed, let us know how you get on with it though, it will no doubt make absolutely gripping reading! :-D

I have actually left water in my main tank for several months but as its a black plastic tank and slung underneath the 'van I can't inspect it internally. Like J9 we NEVER drink the water from the main tank but carry a two gallon hand container for drinking water. When I have left water in the tank for any length of time I simply run it out through the pump and taps into the waste tank along with a capful of bleach. I then drive the 'van around for a few miles to give it a good shake up before draining it down. With the tank being black there is little chance of any algae growing in the water as that needs light to happen.

D.

Guest Tracker

The other side of that coin Dave is that we have over 35 years been drinking water out of the van tank, albeit never stale water, without ever having had a real problem other than very rarely a stale or plasticky taint. Even that is usually dispersed with a drain, flush and refill. Maybe the Chlorine in the fresh tap water helps keep the tank water drinkable?

As with many things we all have different ideas and the main thing is finding a system that works for ourselves.

I think maybe we are all agreed on one thing which is the wisdom of a drain down on return home and a total drain down before frosts occur - whoops that's two things!

Our not drinking water from the on board tank is a bit of a throw back to when we first started motorhoming. We had a 1978 vintage Bedford CF panel van pop top with no on board tank so we had to use the hand container. Just never got out of the habit and as the tank in our current 'van has been under neath for nearing 18 years I have no plans to get out of the habit either.

D.

I noticed that Brownhills included Biotreatment of our Water Tank during it's Habitation service 2 weeks ago.

We use a Water Filter Jug if we need drinking water from the Tank. It seems OK and no plasticy taste.

Regarding leaving water in your system over winter will invalidate your warranty and leave you with expensive bills if frost damages your Water Heater.

Thanks all round, better results than I thought.

I always do the right thing of course and drain before a spell of non use but I had thought that there would have been someone who had had a problem, supposidly not which is good news.

Our tank is a light color plastic (possibly nylon) under a seat with a large inspection lid and would be easy to look into.

"Having been trained militarily to always keep ones water bottle top open when empty it kinda follows on that I'm always consious of such hidden areas as a form of good health keeping"

As our Grandaughter often reminds us "you old uns are delicate"

We always cary our own tap water for drinking (until we run out) then its the local taps or in France the Superstore as we are not keen on the 'natural flavours' of some.

Perhaps I am a bit paranoid when it comes to drinking-water but I can justify it.

I have bottled water (supermarket-cheapest, not sparkling!) for drinking and making tea.

Portable water container for washing salad, boiling for pasta etc.

Tank water for washing up etc.

Just have to be careful that grey water tank doesn't get overful!

We always use and drink the water from the onboard tank. Our previous vans/ caravans also had onboard tanks and we have always drunk from them as well, so that is since around the mid 80's. Prior to that, since the 60's our caravans used the old 'wheel the water to the van style tanks' so the water was refreshed each new pitch, but we still used the water from the tank to drink, why else bother having on board facilities.

Our children have also used the same since they were 1 month old and we have never had a problem with stomach upsets or other related problem, I also do not believe over that period of time we have been lucky.

The fact is that the majority of bottled wate has more impurities in it than tap water so the current fad is really quite amusing in my view, still each to their own.

The important thing is how you 'manage' the water system in the van not the system itself, and I fear this is where most who have problems make their mistake one of which is leaving a tank half empty (or half full according to your view), this promotes the growth of bacteria on the sides of the tank that are not covered by the water but in the condensation forming there.

Bas

Edit typo's

Guest Tracker
J9withdogs - 2007-10-14 9:12 AM

Portable water container for washing salad, boiling for pasta etc.

Tank water for washing up etc.

Not a criticism J9 but surely the potentially 'polluted' water that you wish to avoid will still come into contact with your pots, pans, crockery and cutlery when you wash up and with your skin and vulnerable bits (eyes & mouth) when you wash yourself once a week?

I dont really drink water..its a waste of good whisky (lol) (lol)

However, I do use the main tank to clean my teeth...Always tend to use these aquacleanse tablets to treat the water supply when we go somewhere new and fill up.

Dont always use the tablets if going to a site where I trust the water supply...but they are only a couple of quid for a good few tanks worth.

Being a microbiologist its better to be care full than get the back door trots. :-> :->

Goes for cooking too..better burnt than undercooked....has to be anyway with the bosses cooking :D :D

I would never drink water from the tank. I'll drink it if it is boiled thoroughly but it still doesn't always remove the odd taste that you sometimes get, possibly a hangover from the odd dose of Milton?

It's so easy to carry a couple of small containers with fresh water for drinking.

On the other hand, the risk of infection from washing and teeth cleaning is absolutely minimal compared to ingesting it. I'm also pretty sure that the risk of bacteria from crockery and cutlery is also minimal, they simply cannot live on a sterile surface such as melamine or china.

Even if there is a tiny risk of microbes it surely cannot be compared with taking them straight into your gut by drinking them.

However, the main problem for me is still the taste. Carrying my drinking water in small containers means that the water is always fresh.

Finally, I've no doubt whatsoever that many people have been drinking from their tanks for years with no ill effect. Perhaps they've just been very lucky? But to me it's pure common sense that there is far more chance of a proliferation of nasty bacteria in a large tank that may stand 'possibly' empty for several weeks. I say 'possibly' because even if you drain it down there may always be the chance of an odd corner with a small amount remaining.

davenewell@home - 2007-10-14 5:23 PM Hey Hey hey guys and gals, just because we don't drink from the on board tank doesn't mean nobody should. Its a personal decision that we made but is based more on habit than anything. Lets not distract ourselves too much from the original topic :-) . D.

I'd forgotten what the original topic was Dave! But now I've looked and it would appear to have been answered and the poster's happy so I'm not sure that it really matters that it's gone off on what is probably a useful tangent.

And it should go without saying that if people wish to drink from the tank and have been doing so for years, then good luck to them.

We're just adding our own views and debating them, which is good.

davenewell@home - 2007-10-14 8:55 PM

Well just as long as it doesn't descend into another argument over whether or not we should or shouldn't drink water from our on board tanks.

D.

Dave, if you really want to drink the water from your onboard tanks then do so, just one piece of advice, make sure it's not the waste water one first. 8-)

i know this a very long & sometimes wayward thread but to go to the original question.

i had a food quality transparent hose that i used to fill my tank.

after leaving it for a while unused it was easy to see a build up of blackness inside.i assume this was bacteria.

may have no relivence but as everyone seems to have commented thought i'd join in.

Archived