Drain plug problem

malc d

After a habitation check on my van I was told that there were signs of cracking around the drain plug in the bathroom sink, which would in time cause a leakage. I asked what would have caused that and was told " Oh, it's quite a common problem". (Due to stresses in the plastic while travelling I think he said).

Is it a known problem and if that is the case can anything be done to prevent it?

Thanks

Yes, its quite common.

A repair is to dismantle the plug hole bits and cut a wide plastic washer from something else then assemble the plughole bits with the washer underneath with a goodly layer of suitable white hardening mastic to provide a strengthening medium all clamped together by the plug hole screw. Sounds a bodge and it is, but it cannot be seen from the top and it works!

If you bust your ankle and need to get off the loo you have to heave on something don't you?

Michele

The unit is 4 + half years old, and we have spent 364 nights in it.

(26000 miles).

I have bodged it up at the moment with some Duck tape which is successful, but unsightly.

It will mean a new sink unless I can make some sort of repair on the lines that Clive is suggesting.

I agree with the comment someone made about thin plastic - it's very thin.

What I do really depends on the price of a new one.

i tend to agree with clive, i do lots of domestic repairs and installtions being a plumber, depending on how far spread the cracks are, if it was at all possible to repair neatly, i would strip out the trap and waste, and try to reseal using a good rubber washer and a good quality grade A sanitary silicone sealant. that would atleast do the trick and save the expense of a new one.

Archived