New Speed Limit From 2008

yesmad

I have just been onto the Royal Mail website and had a look at their news section and found the following:-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From 1st January 2008 there will be a lower speed limit of 56 mph (90kph) for vehicles weighing more than 3.5 tonnes. This is because of EU legislation and will apply to all vehicles in the EU and the UK.

It is the first that I have heard of this and it may affect some of the members of this forum, sorry to be the bearer of bad new.

Miami - 2007-10-12 12:19 PM

The Royal Mail Website!!!!!! They can't even run a Post Office without strikes so what would they know about motorhomes!!!!!!!!

I saw the statement last week. It appears to be by way of a "get in early to make an excuse for more service reductions" type of thing.Graham

Guest JudgeMental

Good, that will teach all who purchase inappropriate vehicles for our roads...:-D

(jealous really as restricted to 3500kg*-))

so while you all sit in behind the trucks - you can wave as we fly by at 80+:-D

head down now awaiting incoming - wheres by bloomin hard hat! :D

seriously though, this has been on the cards for a while as more restrictions coming in as pressure rises on road resources. what is questionable is should campers which spend most of there time parked up be treated like commercial vehicles....

Quote from website above :

""Regarding speed limits, provided the motor homes are "motor caravans" then

they are subject to pasenger vehicle speed limits, which are 70 mph on a

motorway or dual carriageway and 60mph on other roads unless a lower speed

limit applies, provided the unladen weight (not MAM) is not over 3050 kg.

If the UW is over 3050 kg then the speed limits are 70 mph on a

motorway, 60 mph dual carriageway and 50 mph on other roads." "

+++++++++

Would I be correct in thinking that any vehicle of about 3.4 - 3.8 tons that has be re-plated to higher axel loads, (or those where a higher axle load can be purchased at point of sale) would still have an unladen weight probably well below 3050 Kg ?

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2007-10-12 2:51 PM

Would I be correct in thinking that any vehicle of about 3.4 - 3.8 tons that has be re-plated to higher axel loads, (or those where a higher axle load can be purchased at point of sale) would still have an unladen weight probably well below 3050 Kg ?

I would doubt it, if you had a 3.5t van weighing less than 3.05t unladen would you bother getting it replated?

Three points:

1. The new limits do not apply to motorhomes.

2. The old unladen weight based rule continues to apply. Since unladen weight is defined as the weight without fuel or water (NOT engine coolant), or loose or removable tools, which I take it to include gas bottles (but not cycle racks, etc), then anything plated at 3500 Kgs is almost certainly safe. Anything above about 3700 Kgs may not be. Unfortunately, modern speed cameras, which can now distinguish between vans and cars and thus photo the former over the commercial vehicle limits, cannot distinguish motorhomes, so you may find yourself in an argument! So far, everyone that has consulted MMM has been returned their fine and had their speeding conviction and points quashed. Another good reason for reading the mag!

3. From 1 Jan 2008, all NEW vehicles plated at over 3500 Kgs are not only subject to the new limits but must also have a speed governor factory fitted. Hopefully there will be some way for the factory NOT to fit said equipment to vehicles going to motorhome converters - but don't bet on it!

4. I believe there is also a phased programme for retrofitting govenors to older commercial vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes. So make sure your motorhome is properly registered as such or you're more than likely to be invited to have a govenor fitter - at your cost, naturally!

Mel E

====

Just had my Vehicle Licence reminder today and noticed that it says under Tax Class - Private HGV. Under Body Type it says Motor Caravan.

As its Revenue weight is 3800kg gross, can anyone tell me if it has been decribed correctly?

colin - 2007-10-12 6:33 PM

tonyishuk - 2007-10-12 2:51 PM

I would doubt it, if you had a 3.5t van weighing less than 3.05t unladen would you bother getting it replated?

I was thinking of owners who might repalte to carry a motor/bike scooter on the rear.

(Whole different can of worms there !)

Rgds

• 4 weeks later...
Mel E - 2007-10-13 12:44 PM

John,

Description perfect - any motor caravan over 3500 MAM/GVW is taxed as Private HGV and not as PLG.

Mel E

====

hi my motor home is over 3.5ton in fact it is 4.5ton and it it taxed as PLG same as a car regards pedro

One additional point I forgot earlier: from 01 January 2008, all commercial vehicles in excess of 3500 Kgs MAM (Maximum Allowed Mass) are banned from the outside lane of motorways with 3 or more lanes, as well as the lower speed limits (ultimately governed) applying.

Mel E

====

foxy - 2007-11-07 3:35 PM

Why does everyone want to fly around at 70 MPH. 56MPH is goood for the soul and the wallet. Take your time, drink in the surroundings arive at destination at peace and not stressed out of your brains.

Obviously depends on the individual, I never arrive stressed whatever speed I have cruised at, accelerate to 65 or 70 switch on cruise and just drive marvellous. The only stressing thing for me is getting trapped in slow moving or stationary traffic on motorways I find that incredibally aggravating. But hey ho each to their own if you find you can't keep up the pace it is probably better to go slow and safer for others if you find you get stressed going at the National Speed Limit.

Bas

As I said basil better on the wallett and the carbon footprint left behind by racing all over the place. I have never been stressed by driving and I can probably keep up and probably leave you behind. But whats the point, just so I can arrive 10 minutes before you!

Just because we are allowed to drive at 70mph there is no good reason why we have to. Driving at 60mph would surely use less fuel, cost less, make moving parts last longer, pollute the atmosphere less, give drivers more time to take evasive action, allow more time to appreciate scenery and reduce the severity of impact damage to vehicles and persons. Seems sensible to me . With ever increasing fuel prices I can see the time coming when we shall be forced to drive more slowly and folk like Basil will be permanently aggravated.

JohnS

John S - 2007-11-08 4:06 PM

Just because we are allowed to drive at 70mph there is no good reason why we have to. Driving at 60mph would surely use less fuel, cost less, make moving parts last longer, pollute the atmosphere less, give drivers more time to take evasive action, allow more time to appreciate scenery and reduce the severity of impact damage to vehicles and persons. Seems sensible to me . With ever increasing fuel prices I can see the time coming when we shall be forced to drive more slowly and folk like Basil will be permanently aggravated.

JohnS

Paying for fuel has never worried me I just put in what I need never worry about the cost.

For you maybe, I have no concern about my carbon footprint whatsoever, it's all 'Bovine excretia'.

Fact is all fossil fuel is running out and I intend to use as much as I can while we have it and enjoy doing it.

I like speed and will drive at the maximum I am allowed to, at those times I choose to I will also drive faster. I also like large engined high powered so called 'gas guzzling' vehicles of which I own many, most of which will still do more to the gallon than any moterhome driven at 56mph.

Fact is my fastest vehicle uses more fuel below 60mph than at 90mph.

There is nothing better than doing 150 plus its wonderful.

Bas

Archived