Alternator warning light.

Stew

On our recent summer hols we went down to Spain having crossed the channel from Hull to Zeebrugge, and travelled down through France etc. The majority of the journey was pretty uneventfull, however when I was not far from the Spanish border I looked down to check my speed, as you do, and noticed that the alternator warning light had come on and both fuel and temperature gauge had gone to zero, luckily I was just approaching a servis area so pulled straight in. After the usual curseing I checked underneath to sell if I'd lost a belt or something but all were present and correct.Next all the fuses I could think of were pulled and checked, but none were blown. After scratching of head I thought I'd just start her up again to see if the fault was still there, and low and behold everything was back to normal, everthing working fine. We continued the journey to Spain and back without and further hic cups. The reason for the this long winded thread is Does anybody know which fuse could have been responsible and where its located or could it have been something entirely different. I've no manual for the vehicle. Its a 2000 Fiat Ducato 2.8idTD. (lol)

Somebody will probably correct me and give you a more detailed answer, but I have found that in a diesel motor, if the ignition is inadvertantly switched off whilst you are driving, the engine doesn't always stop but some of the other ignition connected circuits will be turned off.

Maybe you knocked the key or a loose cable to battery etc.

You've did a reset to the ECU here by switching your ignition off but it will be flagged up in the ECU memory. Pity you didn't have a code reader to get the number on it, but as your engine is only a 2000 model and not 2004 a OBD 11 scanner can't read it. Dave Newal? popped his head in on this type of thread the last time or is Barry Crawshaw not going to take up, "OBD 11 Code Readers for those traveling the world". (well OK Europe).

Good Luck,

Gordonaldson,....

Guest Tracker

Yes my thoughts too probably a false signal picked up somewhere in the system and resetting the ECU by re starting will go on curing it until eventually the culprit will identify itself - or not. It might never be found?

I had a temperamental Jag that used to do similar things but always worked OK on restart - and when I found out the price of an ECU I sold it!

Archived