weather in costa del sol

horse444

Not there, but do remember that November and December are the peak rainy months in most of southern Spain. Much less rain normally in Jan thru April.

The driest part of southern Spain is normally Almeria rather than the Costa del Sol.

Mel E

====

Hi Horse444,

The area to the south of the Mar Menor is a very dry area of Spain. I believe I'm right in saying that it has so little rain that it almost qualifies as a desert.

We spent October and (part of) November 04 and 06 there and saw rain only once.

Although the area had snow in December 05!!!! The first time for 40 years we were told.

We stayed at the La Manga site that borders the Mar Menor.

In any case we are 'confined to barracks' this year , so I am jealous.

Regards Cattwg :-( :-)

I've had a look at the synoptic charts for the next 10 days and the Costa del Sol looks like a mix of 'partly cloudy' or 'partly sunny' for most days, with occasional showers, heavier rain on Monday and probably again in a further 5 to 6 days.

My experience of the Costa del Sol at this time of year suggests this is typical for the time of year - occasional days of heavy rain with quite a lot of cloud either side, and quite a lot of days when it's quite windy, with the wind wipping up from the Altantic through the Straights of Gibraltar.

I can also see the rain you're sitting under in the Alicante region - it should be now be what the Spanish call 'Light Rain with Showers', though expect the Cumulo-Nimbus to build again the evening to give more thunderstorms.

If you want decent weather at this time of year, I'm afraid there's nowhere in Southern Europe that guarantees better than a rainy season - you have to head for Morocco.

Cattwg is right about La Manga - it's at the northern end of Murcia/Almeria. However, one word of warning - we spend a couple of weeks there over Christmas one year and, whilst it didn't rain, and was sunny most of the time, warm it most definitely was not!

Mel E

====

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I live on the Costa del Sol, and looking out of my window now it is bright, sunny and warm with no clouds.

This time of year is always unpredictable, and although the Almeria region is very hot in the Summer, it gets colder there in the Winter than we do here.

Wherever you decide to go, hope you have a great time. Inland Spain is very beautiful (we are about 30k from the coast), and is largely undiscovered by the package holiday peeps. B-)

Archived