hard bed

eddie123

our Burstner has a fixed bed which we hoped would afford us a good nights sleep, unfortunately that is not the case, in fact it is too firm for our liking. I think a couple of inches of memory foam may however do the trick. Has anyone found a supplier of mattress toppers that are cut to fit the odd shape typical of fixed motorhome beds. From what I have seen memory foam is not like ordinary high density foam which can be easily cut to shape, the memory foam edges are sort of upholstered.

regards

Ed

Guest Tracker

Cutting memory foam is no big deal but you will need a handy person with a sewing machine to remake the cover to fit.

Don't have one in the van but do at home and it works a treat.

Rich, is it a handy person with a sewing machine you have at home or the memory foam topper? (lol)

Eddie (or should I call you Judge ... wink, wink ;-) ), we've got a memory foam topper for the camper which fortunately fits perfectly. However, they are just a thin slab of foam, from 1 inch to 3 inches depending on what you buy. You can use a very sharp knife to cut it though, using a long piece of timber as a 'ruler' to run the blade along, if you haven't got a very sharp knife long enough for the job, try cutting so far down and then repeating it gradually until you go all the way thorugh. Or you can try to cut it with a pair of scissors, but the edge is likely not to be quite so nice, however, if you're going to put the cover back on then it doesn't really matter.

When selecting the memory foam in the first place make sure you can have a 'squeeze' and a lie down on it if possible, they vary so much in quality. The 1.5 inch one we bought for the camper is absolutely lovely, £99 from the NEC earlier in the year, the 2.0 inch one we got from the market for £38 for our bed at home is a bit firmer, possibly down to the fact that it's thicker, it's still okay though.

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2007-10-12 5:39 PM

Rich, is it a handy person with a sewing machine you have at home or the memory foam topper? (lol)

Yes when I read it I too thought that I had not worded it very well but I doubted anyone else would notice - yeah some hope!

Guest Tracker
eddie123 - 2007-10-12 5:43 PM

Thanks for info. I haven't a clue what the wink wink ref is all about.

Ed

Careful mate there are a lot of winkers on here!

Guest JudgeMental

Ed

Sir, we share the same Christian name. This lady thing is obsessed with certain men on here & is trying to draw me into a lurid conversation. Her only intention being, to to to get me banned! - I am having none of it!

:-D

Eddie,

I had exact same problem as you actually used to wake in agony and its not unknown for hubby to get on the floor for the night .

I had a copy of the Caravan Club mag and in that there was a company advertising . I sent off got it and have never had a problem or back ache since £59 it cost cut to the size I wanted we have not covered it as the sheet goes over it. Good Luck ;-)

JudgeMental - 2007-10-12 6:30 PM

Ed

Sir, we share the same Christian name. This lady thing is obsessed with certain men on here & is trying to draw me into a lurid conversation. Her only intention being, to to to get me banned! - I am having none of it!

C'mon Judge, you know you like it really .... ;-) ;-) ;-) Do you want me to twisel your lovely flowing locks around my fingers? I promise not to put ribbons in again, although you did look really cute. :D

Hi,

W haven't got room to store a rolled up memory foam topper in our van (we have one at home, just the bare foam from that company that advertises in the mags) but we use a pair of thin self-inflating mattresses that we got from Decathlon Sports shop for about £20 each. They do need a couple of puffs of air to get them inflated to the best comfort level but certainly help and roll up small. Obviously if you have a drop down or fixed bed they could be left inflated

Steve

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2007-10-12 7:12 PM

JudgeMental - 2007-10-12 6:30 PM

Ed

C'mon Judge, you know you like it really .... ;-) ;-) ;-) Do you want me to twisel your lovely flowing locks around my fingers? I promise not to put ribbons in again, although you did look really cute. :D

AGAIN, I warn you Sir, they gather, & are like sirens beckoning sailors on to the rocks!

Thanks all

Mel, just call me Ed or Eddie (cos that's my name), in the mean time be more careful when you pick wild mushrooms!!!!

all the best

Ed (really)

Judge thanks for the warning. What have I got myself into? all I wanted to know was if I cut cut memory foam; I feel I have been on a surreal journey.

Memory Foam matresses made specifically to suit your weight and to your individual size is how some firms work as normal.

We got ours from Martin Ashmore on mobile 07791-605722

Factory details

Unit 3, 555 Sutton Road

Southend-on-Sea

Essex SS2 5FB

Tel/Fax: 01702 – 614421

Mon – Sun 10am until 4pm

By appointment only due to factory environment

Sales Line: 01268 – 778767

Mon – Sun 8am until 8pm

It was so good we got another one for our bed at home.

C.

Homenaway - what a very good suggestion, not any use for a double bed really, but for singles it would certain be a very good compromise if storage is an issue, and you could also use it outside as well for a sunbathe.

Ed, or Eddie, take no notice of the Judge, he's just worried in case he falls out of favour with us all ... he likes a bit of abuse every now and then. :D

Although we don't have a fixed bed we did find the foam cushions a tad hard. While we were at York we bought a 2" memory foam topper for £69 and it makes a world of difference. We have one on our bed at home which we bought from Argos for £99. Cutting to shape should be no problem and we don't have covers on either of them. We do have a slightly padded "mattress protector" for both though which we put over the top and this does counter the heat build up you sometimes get with memory foam.

D.

We bought a 2inch memory foam mattress topper from Raskelf (http://www.raskelf.com/). Sent them a sketch of the bed size and they supplied one to the exact dimensions. They also provided (at additional cost) two fitted sheets also to the mattress size. Quite expensive, but does provide provide the necessary softness to an otherwise firm German bed, and a good night's sleep. Matterss topper weighs just over 8 Kg for my double bed. I have no connection to Raskelf.

Archived