Eurotunnel

maggyd

Although you can take your pet with you on the Chunnel, it still costs quite a bit, £30 I believe at my last look at prices.

You also have to produce all their documents, passport, jabs, etc each side.

Hope it is of help

(lol)

Baz and Buzzy (the dog)

handyman - 2007-10-13 8:08 PM

you take your motorhome on the normal car trains, and you are with your pet at all times.

When we went in the car last October there was height restrictions I remember thinking if my son had had a roof box on his VW Sharan he wouldnt of been able to go on the car train.

In reply to your query about height,it is the carriages which are different, some are for normal height cars and others are for taller vehicles, such as motorhomes, coaches, etc. The train is then made up of differing carriages and you will be directed onto the one which is for your type of vehicle.

Where you are getting mixed up is with freight carrying HGVs, these are put onto flat bed open carriages, completely different to what you will go on as a motorhome.

(lol)

Baz and Buzzy

Hi Margaret, don't know what the height restrictions would have been as coaches and vans use the same carriages as cars. The tunnel is ideal for pets as you have them with you all the time. You only need vets details when you return, not when you leave. If you do a search on here the pros and cons of Tunnel/ferry have been discussed. We have used the tunnel several times with our two dogs and would recommend it.

Guest Tracker
maggyd - 2007-10-13 7:57 PM

Has anyone used the tunnel with their Motorhomes with their pet on board I read that on Freight they werent allowed it doesnt include Motorhomes does it?

We've done it twice - no problem - they do charge but then so do the ferries - just ensure you get the dog checked in before checking the van in on the way back.

Guest Tracker
michele - 2007-10-13 10:20 PM

margaret,

there is a return vet right in the drive in part at the shuttle on the way back if it helps. Also somewhere for the van right outside

Is there? I never knew that?

However the dog has to be done between 24 and 48 hours before departure time.

Tunnel + Motorhome + Pets - excellent. Do not rely on the Pet passport check outwards as a guarantee that it will be acceptable inwards. We were checked outwards last month but stopped inwards because the line saying "Date chipped" had been completed "not known". The Vet doing the rabies vaccination must ensure that "date chipped", if not known, says "before .........." the date of the rabies injection. Note "date of injection" not date of verification that injection has "taken". After phone calls and faxes between home vet, Dover and Calais we got away OK, but it was scary for an hour or so. We had arrived early for check in so in spite of all the hassle our eventual check in, after the dog-passport fiasco, was less than hour after our original booking. Because we were less that 1 hour late we were put on the next available train with space at no extra charge. Well done Eurotunnel.

naittaw - 2007-10-14 4:39 PM

Thats just the kind of thing Im worrying about !! especially as we dont speak the language! I think Ill make a check list so nothing untoward happens ( we tend to panic a bit if we arent prepared)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tunnel + Motorhome + Pets - excellent. Do not rely on the Pet passport check outwards as a guarantee that it will be acceptable inwards. We were checked outwards last month but stopped inwards because the line saying "Date chipped" had been completed "not known". The Vet doing the rabies vaccination must ensure that "date chipped", if not known, says "before .........." the date of the rabies injection. Note "date of injection" not date of verification that injection has "taken". After phone calls and faxes between home vet, Dover and Calais we got away OK, but it was scary for an hour or so. We had arrived early for check in so in spite of all the hassle our eventual check in, after the dog-passport fiasco, was less than hour after our original booking. Because we were less that 1 hour late we were put on the next available train with space at no extra charge. Well done Eurotunnel.

*-) *-)

Used Eurotunnel once with two dogs - no problem. However we tend to use the ferry as it's cheaper. Again no problem. Dover to Calais is pretty short crossing and our dogs sleep through the trip. Has anyone heard about possible changes to the pet passport scheme whereby the period between the rabies vaccination and bringing the animal back in is to be reduced to one month instead of the current seven?

Hi Nattaw

I have used eurotunnel lots of times if you get there out of time even days, they will offer a new time with no extra charge ,It may not be the next train but soon after remember they run every 20 mins. And i do not pay extra for height or length as the ferry does. Most times the ferry will charge a re booking fee.

Derrick

Guest JudgeMental

Using it this weekend, if you turn up 2 hours early and theres room they let you on. but I believe they can charge outside of these times if they want to.

it is more expensive then boat but far quicker and more convenient. If I was retired and on a fixed income, with more time on our hands would probably use a boat.

ike - 2007-10-15 4:08 PM

Used Eurotunnel once with two dogs - no problem. However we tend to use the ferry as it's cheaper. Again no problem. Dover to Calais is pretty short crossing and our dogs sleep through the trip. Has anyone heard about possible changes to the pet passport scheme whereby the period between the rabies vaccination and bringing the animal back in is to be reduced to one month instead of the current seven?

i havn,t heard that, but our vet says the re-vaccination(booster) is being extended to 3yrs, i am seeing her next week so i will check the facts, make sure you get the booster inside the date on the passport, i was 1week late, i have to start the whole procedure again, which means no trips abroad until late april

Hi I have been reading this thread with interest............can anyone confirm for me how often you have had the rabies booster jab ? I ask as a friends vet says it is yearly whilst my vet has said 2 years as matches the expiry date on my dogs passport..............my friends dogs passport stated an expiry date of two years, but they still insist it is given yearly.

My own vet still insists two yearly and got out all the books etc whilst I was there for a consultation.

The problem isn't here, it's when you try to come back. The French officials seem to like it to be yearly. To be safe even though our vaccine is for 2 years we always have it done yearly as we'd hate to have to start the rigmarole of injection, blood test etc all over again, never mind the cost. I seem to remember this was mentioned on a thread either earlier this year or last year where someone else had risked the two year and had managed to get back safe and sound, I've never tried it though.

Thanks although that is a little worrying............I rang DEFRA and they said it was two years or other than that to ring the French Embassy...........my vet insists it is two years, we are over the year point so how do you think we would fare if we had it now.

DEFRA said it is something to do with France and you need it yearly if you are there for more than 3 months......which we wouldn't be.

Archived