Wifi McDonalds in France

derek500

Recently returned from our UK trip and was well impressed with the 'free, unlimited' wifi at the 'drive-in' McDonalds in France.

No need to buy anything, you just park in the car park and log on.

We got connected at about 70% of outlets.

On our first night in the Auchan (St Martin, Boulogne) car park we parked up about 100m from the McDonalds and had a connection all evening. VOIP (we use Voipstunt) software worked brilliantly as well, so lots of free calls to friends and relatives.

derek500 - 2007-10-14 11:50 AM Recently returned from our UK trip and was well impressed with the 'free, unlimited' wifi at the 'drive-in' McDonalds in France. No need to buy anything, you just park in the car park and log on. We got connected at about 70% of outlets. On our first night in the Auchan (St Martin, Boulogne) car park we parked up about 100m from the McDonalds and had a connection all evening. VOIP (we use Voipstunt) software worked brilliantly as well, so lots of free calls to friends and relatives.

The company is rolling this out in the U.K. according to a report I read in the D.T.

Guest Tracker
tc102 - 2007-10-14 11:56 AM

The company is rolling this out in the U.K. according to a report I read in the D.T.

My understanding is that you need a BT or similar open plan subscription to access all the McDonalds wifi points as indeed you theoretically do for all official wifi points in the UK?

I would be delighted to be wrong (just on this single occasion!) and wouldn't it be great if all wifi access became free? WOW!

As I said, the report in the D.T. was that, as MacDonald's refurbishes its stores, it is installing free wi-fi.

The company is currently in the process of revamping its outlets with a new brighter look.

tc102 - 2007-10-14 5:11 PM

As I said, the report in the D.T. was that, as MacDonald's refurbishes its stores, it is installing free wi-fi.

The company is currently in the process of revamping its outlets with a new brighter look.

You're correct!!http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/oct/06/internet?gusrc=rss&feed=technology

Guest Tracker

I sit corrected.

This is wonderful news and must be considered the door opening start to countrywide free wifi.

The breaking of BT's near monopoly on charging for wifi access has to be good.

We're not great lovers of McDonalds 'food' but I guess the dog would eat the odd burger or two if she really had to just so we could show willing and be a customer!

I wonder if it will work in their car parks?

I wonder if the clubs will follow on their sites?

Archived