Sogs is it any good

laikaman

Guest Tracker

Never used one but I am tempted to get one if only to extract nasty niffs when ever the loo blade is open.

I guess the 'gasses' are lighter than air because they sure do seems to rise pdq!!

I understand from those that have a SOG that it does indeed work and the only noise is a small 12v motor running in the outside hatch cover to create a positive 'inside to outside' airflow - although what happens in a gale or when the cassette is nearly full and airspace is limited I don't really know?

Because there are no nasty chemicals you do also have more scope as to where you empty but this may have more value for the 'off site' campers amongst us who still remember the old method of digging a hole and burying it well away from any water.

Perhaps someone can enlighten us please?

I think it breaks the waste down more quickly, the noise from the fan is minimal, and i usually empty the toilet every day as there is no cost (chemicals) involved.

and as for the smell when emptying it, it's not to bad, some waste tanks that i have had to empty into on some cl's have been a killer.

as judge say's; best £80.00 i have spent.

pete

Guest JudgeMental
breakaleg - 2007-10-14 4:37 PM

Hi Carol, i think more noise is mad when you open and close the blade than when the fan is running, you must have the blade open when you use it, or am i stating the obviouse

pete

Yes, fan only operates when trap open and is quiet. you will not hear it with bathroom door closed. emptying is a bit smelly but it is still better then using nasty chemicals

Hi, We have a SOG and we love it, trouble is for us we have a little one who has a tendency to leave it on and because it is so quiet we don't hear it for ages and therefore using the precious leccy.

Having said that at least when she forgets she isn't letting the pong out that she would if we didn't have the SOG.

No problem with emptying, not wanting to sound too gross but if someone who generally needs the proverbial stick to clear the system you may want to leave it a while before emptying, otherwise the shaking to empty could put your shoulder out as I have found to my cost, (no I am not saying which one of us it was, as we may have to meet you one day) Will also mention here the magic yellow button I have discovered lately on the tank that saves the glugging and just flows so smoothly straight down the drain .

Just got a new filter (£8.48 + VAT) for ours but they last around 18 months apparently I presume that is with the standard 2 persons, I think with 4 of us we will do it 12 monthly.

Had ours fitted as part of the deal when we got the van, we didn't want the aerial as we don't take a TV with us.

We have a great game now on camp sites and Aires of who can spot the first SOG , we look like the nosey neighbours but it keeps us amused.

Oh yes did I say, we love it and would recommend it to anyone.

Mandy

Guest Tracker
Hymer C 9. - 2007-10-14 2:20 PM

Don't know a lot about them, but when we were asking around about it we were told that they could make a lot of strange noises, put us off a bit. Although I am sure some one will point out if this is right or not. Carol. :-)

Maybe the fan makes a noise if anything gets into it?

Can't think what might - can you?

Or maybe if the fan blades are rubbing on the fan casing as they do need a very close fit to work effectively?

Guest Tracker
breakaleg - 2007-10-14 4:12 PM

I think it breaks the waste down more quickly, the noise from the fan is minimal, and i usually empty the toilet every day as there is no cost (chemicals) involved.

I would imagine that vehicle movements do most of the 'breaking down' of solids?

We have had SOGs fitted to all our 'vans and they are the best accessory we have ever bought. And boy have we bought!

We have also been to the SOG factory to have one fitted to a 'van - they are as efficient as you would expect from a German engineering company.

The systems soon pay for themselves if like us you use the 'van a lot (Chemical saving) and you can empty where others can not - (septic tanks don't like chemicals). And the best bit - no toilet smells in the 'van!

They actually do help to break down the contents of the cassette but I do carry a small (trial size) of the Green chemical as the only time it failed to adequately break down was whilst heading south through France in freezing conditions in winter. It must prefer to have warm air through it. Having said that I have been carrying the same bottle around for 4 years as there has not been a repeat of the problem

laikaman - 2007-10-14 1:43 PM

We are going up to the nec next week,one of the things we are looking at is having a sogs type system put onto the thetford, has anybody used or got this system. Is it effective and as good as the advertising says it is.

Thanks.

In a word. Brilliant!

Had one for 2 years. The fan only operates when the trap is open so no smells inside the bathroom. It makes sense to leave the trap open a bit longer than usual so it can suck fresh air into the tank to aid decomposition.

Slightly more audible noise outside the van.

Only problem is that the tanks are smellier when emptying as there is no masking chemical added. Best not to stand in the middle of a queue!

Mel E

====

no not until you empty it, to be honest i have a walking disability that is painfull to put any weight through my left leg, and i use a walking stick with my right hand, so i empty it every morning as a routeen, so it dosent smell to bad at all, some cesspits that i have used over the 25-30 years have caused me to wince a bit when emptying the cassette. :-S :-S

pete

Guest Tracker
breakaleg - 2007-10-15 10:56 AM

no not until you empty it, to be honest i have a walking disability that is painfull to put any weight through my left leg, and i use a walking stick with my right hand, so i empty it every morning as a routeen, so it dosent smell to bad at all, some cesspits that i have used over the 25-30 years have caused me to wince a bit when emptying the cassette. :-S :-S

pete

If ever I see you struggling on site I would empty it for you old friend as I seem to spend my entire live getting myself out of the sh1t.

Archived