Loudspeakers

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

Does anyone have any experience of wireless speakers please?

Our lounge is so big that we sit a long way from the TV and sometimes struggle to hear it clearly.

We don't like trailing wires and wondered if cordless remote speakers sited behind or beside us and giving quasi quadrophonic sound might help us as our hearing's acuteness fades over the coming years?

Hi Richard, although we don't have a large living room that puts us so far away from the TV we do have a surround sound system connected to the Freeview box and the DVD player. Whether you go for wireless or wired speakers should not make any difference (except for cost of course) but you will gain a whole new listening pleasure to go with your viewing. We keep the TV speakers turned right down and only use the surround sound system and its blooming great :-) you don't have to spend a fortune on one either, ours was £50 from Asda a couple of years ago, probably cheaper now! I did use some larger and better speakers with ours than those that came with it though.

D.

Guest Tracker
Mike Parke - 2007-10-14 10:54 PM

Do not mean to appear rude or flippant but could you not move your chairs nearer to your television set???

Regards , Mike

Could do but then the dog would have nowhere to play.

Guest Tracker

Thanks for that Dave.

It grieves me to say it, but cost is not so much the issue as effectiveness - and I really do hate trailing cables and cables round the skirting boards.

R

Tracker - 2007-10-15 10:37 AM

Thanks for that Dave.

It grieves me to say it, but cost is not so much the issue as effectiveness - and I really do hate trailing cables and cables round the skirting boards.

R

Then go for a wireless system, no reason why decent quality equipment should be any less effective than wired, but I would urge you to go for a proper Dolby surround system, it makes the listening experience so much better. We also use our DVD player and surround system for CD playback and digital radio via the Freeview box. Just don't be fooled into thinking you need a high wattage system, ours is about 40 Watts (RMS) total output including the subwoofer and it is more than capable of providing excessive levels of loudness.

D.

Guest Tracker

Agreed - we don't need loud but we do need clarity.

I'm not too worried about CDs DVDs etc as we don't use them a lot but poor TV sound is a real issue for us in our old age.

Loud gives me a headache - and please - no one misinterpret that!

Tracker,

Just food for thought, but faced with a similar dilemma we opted for wireless headphones.

The sound quality is awesome, you won’t disturb the neighbours, and there’s little hardware to clutter up your lounge. You can also go and make a cup of tea and not lose the thread of a show.

The downside? You’ll look like a pudding with them on.

Guest Tracker
crinklystarfish - 2007-10-15 11:02 AM

Tracker,

Just food for thought, but faced with a similar dilemma we opted for wireless headphones.

The sound quality is awesome, you won’t disturb the neighbours, and there’s little hardware to clutter up your lounge. You can also go and make a cup of tea and not lose the thread of a show.

The downside? You’ll look like a pudding with them on.

Thanks Steve - the idea does have some merit, but not for us I think, but thanks for the thought.I just ought to say before anyone else does that I look like a pudding anyway!I really don't fancy headphones as we do like to spontaneously talk to each other during the boring bits and adverts - so we do a lot of talking - and taking head phones on and off would not aid that process!

Guest Tracker
crinklystarfish - 2007-10-15 1:36 PM

No probs, if you knew my other half, you might see why they work so well for me!! I love her and all, but boy can she tell a tale...

Oh what a lucky boy you are then to have your very own Jackanory talking library!

Archived