12v straighteners

mrs p hancox

Tesco direct internet only are doing 12volt straighteners by vidall sasson for £19.99 very good very hot and as stated 12 volt, yes I know most you men will not be interested or even know what I am on about, but I for one use them and find its not drying hair when on 12v that is the problem, but not looking like a scarecrow! I have the gas curlers but don't find them much good, these seem to be the answer to my prayers, so if your other half uses straightners perhaps the xmas pressie is in tescos!

Guest Tracker

I agree with Dave.

It had already been clearly stated that they do work and was not a request for opinions, rather a statement of fact, and I for one thank Pam for sharing her experience with us.

If only they were a bit cheaper I could get Dot some for Christmas!

Just a cautionary note. Heating devices like this generally pull a lot of current. If they are powered from a cigarette lighter style plug, just keep an eye on whether the plug is getting uncomfortably warm. I've actually witnessed the melting of a fuseholder mounted next to the cigarette style plug on a 12v hairdryer.

Make sure that the 'van's wiring is up to the load you are asking it to carry.

Seem like a good product otherwise, I'll tell my OH straight away!

Tracker - 2007-10-15 10:52 AM

I agree with Dave.

It had already been clearly stated that they do work and was not a request for opinions, rather a statement of fact, and I for one thank Pam for sharing her experience with us.

If only they were a bit cheaper I could get Dot some for Christmas!

tracker, fair enough...........but i was just saying about the hairdryer *-)

crinklystarfish - 2007-10-15 1:00 PM

Just a cautionary note. Heating devices like this generally pull a lot of current. If they are powered from a cigarette lighter style plug, just keep an eye on whether the plug is getting uncomfortably warm. I've actually witnessed the melting of a fuseholder mounted next to the cigarette style plug on a 12v hairdryer.

Make sure that the 'van's wiring is up to the load you are asking it to carry.

Seem like a good product otherwise, I'll tell my OH straight away!

My wife uses Babyliss 230v straighteners via a 300w invertor. There is a split second surge when they switch on but then they only run on 25w.

Hubby watched voltage measure when I plugged them in and said hardy any pull, think the size of the plates help, as with normal straighteners the plates are about inch and half wide by about 5 inches these are about 3/4 inch wide and 3 and half inches long, which is fine as you really dont use all the area on your normal ones. like I say the plates got very hot, but no did not touch the plug to see if that was heated too. I agree with the hair dyrer comments I tried on and ended up taking it back as sticking my head next to the van heater would have had more effect! Also I think that these are made by a reputable company helps Oh and automatic 2 year gaurenntee, which is longer than my household ones!! As for price well I sort of cheated as delivery would have been £4.95 for orders under £25 so ordered flask for £5.00 reduced from £20.00 and torch for £1.19 then got delivery for free (we needed new ones of both flask and torch ) so well impressed oh and Tesco points as well !!

Guest Tracker
mrs p hancox - 2007-10-15 12:46 PM

Hubby watched voltage measure when I plugged them in and said hardy any pull, think the size of the plates help, as with normal straighteners the plates are about inch and half wide by about 5 inches these are about 3/4 inch wide and 3 and half inches long, which is fine as you really dont use all the area on your normal ones. like I say the plates got very hot, but no did not touch the plug to see if that was heated too. I agree with the hair dyrer comments I tried on and ended up taking it back as sticking my head next to the van heater would have had more effect! Also I think that these are made by a reputable company helps Oh and automatic 2 year gaurenntee, which is longer than my household ones!! As for price well I sort of cheated as delivery would have been £4.95 for orders under £25 so ordered flask for £5.00 reduced from £20.00 and torch for £1.19 then got delivery for free (we needed new ones of both flask and torch ) so well impressed oh and Tesco points as well !!

It's not the voltage Pam. but the current in amps that matters.

Cigarette lighter type sockets are usually rated and fused at 15 amps which is a nominal 180 watts (12v x 15w).

As long as use is off the leisure battery and at a time when current drain is not an issue - like before going on the road or whilst on a hook up there should not be a problem.

Tomo3090 - 2007-10-15 10:07 AM

Easier than that Mrs. H. Just heat 2 bricks on your stove before bed time, then lie in bed and get Mr. H. to put your tresses between the warm bricks and hey presto, in the morning straight hair!

But what then for crimmy?

Great idea,

Given a good brush and a little gel, I am sure I can see the word "Ibstock"

regards

Archived