Motor Home Servicing finally

THe Munchkin

Sorry about that the text disapeared into the ether.

What I wrote was that, after a trip around Europe of some 3,000 miles I came back home and booked an MOT and service. On the way from the MOT station to the dealers showroom and drven by a mechanic (some 3 Miles) the rear discs caught fire. The dealer replaced them without telling me and attempted to take the van for a valeting once again. Unfortunately the rear brakes locked up again. The warning light was on and the engine management system warning light came on reducing the auto box to first gear only.

The dealer then phoned me to say I had to arrange to get the van to a Mercedes workshop to have a diagnostic carried out. I did this and now I ask myself who is responsible for the vehicle when this fault occurred?

Any ideas where I stand?

Can you give us a bit more info please, like what is the van, is it still under warranty etc.

I'm a bit concerned, however, that the dealer did work to the van without informing you first. My second concern is that they then don't appear to have sorted out the fault so the replacing of the discs could've been in vain if they have been damaged by the second occurrence.

My questions are:

1) What are Mercedes saying IS the actual fault? This may determine the following questions superfluous or help to answer them.

2) Was there a fault on the brakes before it went in for service/MOT?

3) Was the fault caused by the way the driver used the vehicle?

4) Was the fault caused by the actions of the MOT station?

5) Why didn't the dealer tell you of the problem and their proposed actions before carrying out any work? In the event they shouldn't have done any work unless you approved it though.

6) What is the dealer trying to charge your for? If they are trying to charge you for the discs that they fitted without your permission then they need to prove to you that you actually needed them. Did they keep the old ones?

Assumption:

The RAC recovered your vehicle to the Mercedes dealers without cost to you, if not then you'll need to consider where to recoup your recovery costs from.

Mel B

Thank you Mel for the questions. We have never had any problems before so we are at a loss at the moment.

However, I am still awaiting a report from Mercedes to know what they believe caused the brake problem. Hopefully they have managed to fathom it out.

Thank you again.

Bob

Archived