emoticons aka smileys

twooks

early I posted a reply to someone - Mike?? on how to get his smileys to work, I think it was on a thread that has disappeared in a puff of smoke.

so, if you missed it then - here it is again,

If you don't have the option to click on smileys on the left hand side when you are preparing input,

go to your -Control Panel- see _welcome- box above right,

ensure the box that gives the option to use Rich Text edit is set to -NO-

don't forget to click on the -submit- button

B-)

this is my sole contribution for tonight, I'm off to beddy byes - got an early start tomorrow, see you in a couple of days - can't wait to see what else will happen in that time *-)

Guest Tracker
Will all respect to you Jackie and I'm not having a go at you, I see emoticons as just another sign of the dumbing down of the nation and I hope I never reach the stage where I can't say what I mean without the help of silly faces.

Yes & No . I was lightly chastised the other week for a post on Nobel Prize thread which was thought to criticise Ronald Reagan. It was tongue in cheek from me but without an emoticion to qualify it it was misunderstood. That said, I put numerous exclaimation marks in at what I thought were appropriate places. Some you lose and other times you come second!!!

Regards Mike

Guest Tracker
Mike Parke - 2007-10-16 7:30 PM

Yes & No . I was lightly chastised the other week for a post on Nobel Prize thread which was thought to criticise Ronald Reagan. It was tongue in cheek from me but without an emoticion to qualify it it was misunderstood. That said, I put numerous exclaimation marks in at what I thought were appropriate places. Some you lose and other times you come second!!!

Regards Mike

I just tried to find the Nobel peace prize thread but that has gone too?

What on earth is happening as that one seemed pretty harmless to me?

Tracker - 2007-10-16 6:12 PM

Will all respect to you Jackie and I'm not having a go at you, I see emoticons as just another sign of the dumbing down of the nation and I hope I never reach the stage where I can't say what I mean without the help of silly faces.

Rich, you don't need them, as we've all seen, you've already got a silly face.

Now without any emoticons showing .. tell me - am I teasing or am I serious? Not the best of examples, I admit, as you know me too well, but others don't and that's part of the problem. Not using emoticons means that you don't get the full picture. When speaking on the phone, or face to face, you can tell the 'meaning' of what is being said by the way they are speaking, ie the tone, speed, volume of their voice - you can tell if they are smiling even! Face to face you can see and hear how something is meant, you can also see the body language. Unfortunately on here we don't have that so we have a very one dimentional 'image' to try to determine exactly how something is being 'said'.

Guest Tracker

I don't mind being teased Mel, I don't even mind being told I'm wrong and I only ever over react when someone is downright rude or insulting to me for no good reason.

So in conclusion as long as you have a good reason to be rude it is OK then I guess!

east yorkshire rules OK!!

incomers and natives alike

just trying to be helpful

I quite like smileys, fairly obviously if you check my posts, partly because some of them are quite cleverly done, partly because they can show the humour / state of mind / intent of the poster.

I seem to remember being on a training course years ago about 'Doing Presentations' and was told that verbal / written content gets about 10% of the message across

the rest of the message is carried by tone of voice and non-verbal signals.

As Mel sez - can't do that on here so we have to resort to something else.

I [unfortunately probably] have a rather flip sarky approach to life the universe and everything - so I can either spend a lot more time reconsidering / editing / and double checking what I've written to ensure I don't offend anyone

or

I

can

do

this

:D :D :D :D :D :D

It's all right for Howie - he posts his funny face as his avatar, this is an old photo I believe - when he was a lot more good looking

[{xx} - to Howie]

Incidentally the post wasn't intended to encourage the use of smileys - just passing on info *-)

B-)

Archived