motorhome sites in the republic of ireland

creature_concepts

Hello !

We toured Southern Ireland last year and found that there are not as many touring sites as there ought to be ( quite a few 'Static' ones).

I would call into the nearest Tourist Information Centre (Falte) and get their free booklet of sites and also ask their advice. Good Luck !

:D

We're in Ireland at the moment. Very few sites open after 31st September. But there are some. Camac valley in Dublin, Tree Grove in Kilkenny, Greenacres in Doonaha (Clare) are three we have visited or booked recently.

Tourist offices are your best bet, and www.camping-ireland.ie and phone the numbers of prospective sites to check.

thanks to all of your replys. sometimes modern technology is great!

just for any of you still travelling. We found a place last night just outside Galway in Salthill. just follow the road to Salthill and turn right at the large roundabout (town centre). you will see a site on your left next to a golf course on the beach front (this is closed). The site is opposite, and seems to also have free wifi.

thanks again

:D

Killybegs, Co Donegal. Site is on the hill overlooking the town.

Called killybegs Motorhome Stopover.

Signposted from town.

I think Patsy, the owner, lives in the house at the bottom of the site lane. I'm sure if he's shut, he'd open just for you. Very nice man.

Lovely views and a quiet site. 15 mins walk into town.

Can't suggest any particular sites but you could do a little wild camping, people are generally fairly easy about it. Don't go for secluded areas as you could be a target (not likely but can happen). This summer we parked up in a few nice spots - Ballycotton village (near pitch and put) lovely place by sea south east of Cork, Island car park (close to the Spa) outside Clonakilty and the marina car park, has a large hotel opposite, just before the Hodson Bay Camp Site (near Athlone). Kinsale is another popular spot if you follow the bay round (Cork direction) and go to the right just after the supermarket. Good luck,

Col

Don't know if you're still in Ireland but if so you might want to try the beach at Inch. Huge stretch of sand you can drive the van right onto it. Pub and public loo close by, overnight parking no problem ( although it might be a bit breezy this time of year). Also parked on harbour at Dingle (free after 6pm if i remember correctly). Bang in town centre, pubs, grub very handy.

ike

ike - 2007-10-21 1:29 PM

Don't know if you're still in Ireland but if so you might want to try the beach at Inch. Huge stretch of sand you can drive the van right onto it. Pub and public loo close by, overnight parking no problem ( although it might be a bit breezy this time of year). Also parked on harbour at Dingle (free after 6pm if i remember correctly). Bang in town centre, pubs, grub very handy.

ike

The road into Dingle is a bit hairy though isnt it? never done it in motorhome ! it was bad enough in the car.

When we went to Dingle in our then motorhome, a Swift Suntor 590RS (overcab) we met many 'idiots' on the road coming the other way who thought we could leap-frog them to get by, or the best was to get as close to the rock edges as possible, they simply didn't think about the fact that we had a great big bit of aluminium sticking out at the front and it would've caught on the overhanging rocks, okay for a car but not for a tall vehicle. Oh, then the was the idiot in the van who decided to go over a narrow bridge as we going over it in the opposite direction, he couldn't wait for use to get across so made a mad dash across and clunked our mirror very hard, fortunately it just folded in and got a bit scuffed, hopefully his broke!!!!!! >:-) Nevertheless I'd still recommend visiting the Dingle peninsular, it really is lovely.

Archived