Carrying spare bulbs etc.

Charlieme

Hi Mike,

I once had a 1951 Armstrong Siddley Whitney (cost me thirty shillings) which had warning lamps on the dash board that illuminated when side lamp bulb failed.

I have no idea how this worked, but our RAF auto electrician seemed the think there was nothing magic about it.

OT...it also had an electric fuel reserve switch, which quickly blew its fuse if switched on. The cure was replace the fuse with a 1/4"BSF bolt....that didn't blow, but it got very hot.

Mike Parke - 2007-11-28 5:23 PM

Slightly (?) off topic. My late uncle once owned an A.S. 'Sapphire' Brilliant car I thought, well I was about 10 at the time. If only I could buy one today for thirty bob!! (£1:50 in modern money!!!)

Regards Mike

eeee takes me back, my ist job as an apprentice at bristol siddley was to machine conrods for the sapphire

I have a Ministry of Transport Form, covering defaults that my drivers have to fill in every morning and sign off at close of business. This covers everything from lights to mechanical, and this,, then makes the driver responsible for his own vehicle and if stopped by police or involvolved in accident and any defect is found, driver is held responsible not company or owner, maybe we should carry one in Motorhome. (?) but I hasten to add my husband checks most things daily during our journies, and I personally think thats enough for any-one.

Hi,

My wife was required to hire cars for travelling to and from a detached posting. The hire company wanted her to sign that she was resonsible for the condition of the tyres. She refused.

Something somewhere states that a driver can be convicted and fined for defective tyres, but if the tyres are the responsibilty of somebody else, then the driver can avoid an endoresment....provided he claims the exemption (by name) at his trial. Sorry, I don't know where to find the details, just something I read many years ago.

I also read somewhere that you can drive on sub-standard tye provided you do not exceed 20mph.

Anybody know anything more about the above?

All a bit theoretical, this, but I think the answer is yes, which partially explains why the French never adopted sealed beam units.  Are they allowed?  If they are legally fitted to a UK registered vehicle, so far as I know, yes, they will be legal to use in France.  At least, I and quite a few others must have covered thousands of miles in France on sealed beams (all with pretty little yellow plastic covers!), and I never heard at the time of anyone being nobbled just for that.  Not totally reliable, of course.

But sealed beams in 2007?  Must be a collector's car, so I'd guess there may even be an entitlement to exemptions under the current regs? 

Notwithstanding, if you did lose a headlamp while in France you wouldn't find driving a RHD vehicle with only one working lamp much fun, so taking a spare would seem a good idea.

Hi Brian,

What I had was a 1957 Land Rover, but I've just sold it. Sob!

Presumably, only ROUND head lights are likely to be sealed beam, so if you drive something so equiped, it may be worth finding out if they are sealed before you set off for France. Replacements and alternative non-sealed are easily available....in UK. You can even buy RH dip for not a lot of money.

(?) dont quite understand Mike....we are responsible for fortnightly inspections' recorded' there after the driver must check his lights, tyres, etc each morning and evening, signing, timing and dating the form, as issued by M>O>Transport, therefore a bulb out would be his responsibility.

Margret, I have been retired for ten years now, maybe regs have changed but back then if a company driver was caught for a 'Con & Use ' offence the company secretary was liable as wellon behalf of the owning company. As I say, ten years 'down the line' things may have changed. I will bow to you more 'up to date' knowledge.

Regards Mike

Brian Kirby - 2007-11-27 4:40 PM

As to whether the requirement is nonsense, I disagree.  I wholeheartedly wish our police would be instructed to enforce our UK vehicle lighting regulations.  At this time of year particularly, the roads round here are full of cars with one or other headlamp out, foglights permanently on, headlamp dip beams set for bird-watching, and continental trucks trundling around with right dipping lamps and no masks.  A few on the spot fines for defective lights seems a pretty good idea to me!  It would do no more than enforce already existing regulations, which seems to me generally desirable in a number of areas.

Sorry Brian,

Talking at cross purposes here, I don't believe carrying spares to be a nonsense, but I was reffering to my comment about carrying spares for the spares being a nonsense. I agree with you that it should be enforced over here as well the growing number of 'one lighters' is becoming of epidemic proportions around here.

I am also pleased to learn that my 'scenario' of concern has been covered by the laws, clearly they thought carrying spares for spares would be a nonsense as well!

Bas

Archived