emissions

locovan

Hi, Graham

You are correct ours is 2.8JTD 2004/5 4000kg and we get the same answer as you but we get a third line that states from 2012 its non-compliant ?

After 2010 it may be worth people re-plating down to 3500kg if they already meet the euro III standard

Do you know how you find out if your vehicle is rated as M1 or N1 as I can't see it on the V5 not that it will make any difference

GJH - 2007-11-13 6:38 PM

What happens in January 2012 is that the standard for certain vehicles, including Motor Caravans heavier than 3.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight, is raised to Euro IV. If your van is less than 3.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight it simply has to meet the Euro III standard by October 2010.

Full details are on the TfL web site Here.

You can also check your vehicle on-line Here. Entering the details of our van (which is under 3.5 tonnes GVW) brings up the results: 04/02/2008 Not subject to LEZ; 04/10/2010 Compliant. I assume that for a van heavier than 3.5 tonnes GVW the system will give details based on the January 2012 date as well.

Graham

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Specific information, regarding abatement equipment for your vehicle can be obtained by e-mailing

info@cdti.com

with you vehicle details.

This is a manufacturer called Clean Diesel Technologies who are one of the approved manufacturers that now number four rather than three on TfL's list.

Incidently I noticed that the LEZ warning notices have gone up on the A2 heading into London warning that you will be entering LEZ in five miles just before the QE2 crossing.

Bas

Edit P.S. According to their advertising their Euro IV equipment is available for all Euro I, II, III and good condition earlier vehicles and seems to be a 'muffler' replacement, lets just hope the cost becomes affordable!

See http://www.cdti.com/lez/e4.html

enodreven - 2007-12-10 2:10 PM

After 2010 it may be worth people re-plating down to 3500kg if they already meet the euro III standard

Not sure if re-plating will get round the restrictions Brian - it may well be based on the vehicle as manufactured (which is the reason given by GLA/TfL for treating motor caravans the same as others with similar bases). Certainly worth checking in advance

enodreven - 2007-12-10 2:10 PM

Do you know how you find out if your vehicle is rated as M1 or N1 as I can't see it on the V5 not that it will make any difference

It isn't on our V5 but I think that is because it has been registered with a Body Type of Motor Caravan (which is stated on the V5).

Graham

latest info from the Forum of the MCC

Hi, I dont know how many of you are aware of the new legislation concerning diesel.

As of Jan 08 a new 10ppm diesel compared with the 50 ppm diesel we buy now is being implemented, so surely the powers to be will have to recalculate vehicles emissions, as with 10ppm diesel we will all be producing lower emissions.

Only snag with the new 10ppm diesel is it wil cost about 2p per litre more, as it takes longer to refine, to remove the excess sulphur, this along with the proposed duty increase in March could see us paying another 4p per litre. Later on next year they will be implementing a 10ppm unleaded petrol.

For technical information on the above visit

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9014507&contentId=7027516

Now Read this a letter to One of our COM at the MCC and see what you make of it as one minister is telling me to get the M1 on my V5C and this says we are not M1 but that M1 is exempt or am I reading it wrong

11th December 2007

London Low Emission Zone (LEZ) - L1657776 / LR

Thank you for your recent enquiry received on 10th December 2007, about the LEZ Scheme.

Vehicles classed as M1 are not subject to the LEZ.

All diesel-engined motor caravans that are greater than 2.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight are

subject to the LEZ Scheme.

As the Scheme will have a phased introduction, only diesel-engined motor caravans over 12

tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight will be subject to the Scheme from 4th February 2008. These

vehicles will be required to meet an emission standard of Euro III to be used in the Zone without

paying the daily charge.

From 7th July 2008, all diesel-engined motor caravans weighing between 3.5 and 12 tonnes

Gross Vehicle Weight will be required to meet this standard.

From October 2010, all diesel-engined motor caravans weighing between 2.5 and 3.5 tonnes

Gross Vehicle Weight will also be required to meet the Euro III standard.

From January 2012, all diesel-engined motor caravans weighing over 3.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle

Weight will be required to meet an emission standard of Euro IV.

If the vehicle has been classed as N1 it will be subject to the LEZ. Vehicles classified as M1 are

cars. Motor caravans will not be classified as M1.

If you have any questions regarding the Scheme you may find it useful to visit our website, just

log on to www.tfl.gov.uk/lezlondon. You may also telephone our Contact Centre on 0845 607

0009, Textphone 0207 310 8999 (if you have impaired hearing), where a member of staff will be

more than happy to help.

Thank you for contacting Transport for London.

Daljit Mahal

Operations Manager

Yours faithfully

London Low Emission Zone

MAYOR OF

>:-( >:-(

locovan - 2007-12-11 10:16 PM

latest info from the Forum of the MCC

Hi, I dont know how many of you are aware of the new legislation concerning diesel.

As of Jan 08 a new 10ppm diesel compared with the 50 ppm diesel we buy now is being implemented, so surely the powers to be will have to recalculate vehicles emissions, as with 10ppm diesel we will all be producing lower emissions.

Only snag with the new 10ppm diesel is it wil cost about 2p per litre more, as it takes longer to refine, to remove the excess sulphur, this along with the proposed duty increase in March could see us paying another 4p per litre. Later on next year they will be implementing a 10ppm unleaded petrol.

For technical information on the above visit

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9014507&contentId=7027516

Been in communication with Locovan separately and she asked me to post this:

I have now done some Googling and see that, as far as this country is concerned, this isn't actually new. The link to the BP web site in the message above is to the BP Australia web site.

As regards this country, details are given Here - it appears that the requirement for the sulphur content of diesel duel not to exceed 10 ppm had to be reached by Tuesday last week (4th December). Therefore, any effect is already with us. It would appear that the person who posted to the MCC web site got their wires crossed somewhere :-)

Graham

Vehicles classed as M1 are not subject to the LEZ.

All diesel-engined motor caravans that are greater than 2.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight are

subject to the LEZ Scheme.

. Vehicles classified as M1 are

Seems quite unequivocal to me, motor caravans have to pay.

If the vehicle has been classed as N1 it will be subject to the LEZ. Vehicles classified as M1 are

So Red Ken and co are reclassifying motorhomes to there own standard then, surely this must infringe some EU policy??

Bas

Basil - 2007-12-13 11:45 AM

So Red Ken and co are reclassifying motorhomes to there own standard then, surely this must infringe some EU policy??

Bas

What they have said is that they are basing the emissions criteria on the base vehicle rather than the body type.

As the letter from Rosie Winterton states:

locovan - 2007-12-08 3:22 PM

I have noted Mrs Nye's concerns but, following the creation of the Greater London Authority. Transport for London (TFL) (under the Mayors jurisdiction) is now responsible for the day to day management of the transport services in London (with exception of the National Railway at present.)

Parliament gave the Mayor of London the powers to introduce road charging schemes in Greater London in the Greater London Authority (GLA) act 1999 which created the Greater London Authority.

The aim of the scheme is to improve air quality for those living, working or studying in London, as well as to help London and the UK move closer to achieving national and EU air quality targets.

The Government remains committed to improving air quality and the Department for Transport supports the aims of the LLEZ

Rightly or wrongly the decision is one for the GLA/TfL to make so UK national and EU policies are not infringed.

Graham

And interestingly enough, Red Ken is doing a deal with Venuzuela to swap their oil for techno know how for traffic management.

Only propblem is, their oil is THE most sulphurous in the world.

It has the properties of corroding structures made with aluminium or copper, and perpeates soft stone, such as limestone, which is what has been used for the majority of London's landmark buildings, hastening the flaking of the lime and disfiguring it, as happened when coal fires were in use in London. >:-(

• 2 weeks later...

Just an aside really, but it might be of interest...

During 2007, full-page LEZ-related announcements by Transport for London appeared in French motorhome magazines. The rules for diesel-fuelled motorcaravans were stated as:

Vehicle weight above 12t - from February 2008 must conform to Euro 3

Vehicle weight from 3.5t to 12t - from July 2008 must conform to Euro 3

Vehicle weight from 2.5t to 3.5t - from October 2010 must conform to Euro 3

Vehicle weight above 3.5t - from January 2012 must conform to Euro 4

The options offered to French owners of motorcaravans that failed to meet these rules were:

1. Keep out of the LEZ.

2. Have your vehicle modified to reduce its emissions.

3. Replace your present vehicle with a more recent model.

4. Pay the daily charge.

• 3 weeks later...
locovan - 2007-10-17 8:25 PM

We all travel on the M25 and if there was an accident and we were diverted off the Motorway in our older vans (pre 2002) we could all end up paying the £100 in and £100 out and if we do not pay within 28 days it is £1000 a day until we pay.

If I were told to divert off the M25 (my van is affected) I should simply refuse, on the grounds that I did not wish to pay the £100.

There is enough food and water in my van to live for week - and by then they should have re-opened the motorway.

How would this stand in law?

Also, if you demanded written instructions from a policeman before moving (even in the Army you are entitled to demand your orders in writing) would a court accept this as sufficient reason for entering the LEZ without paying?

Ventoux - 2008-01-12 10:59 AM

I have just read all the posts. Is it the case that I will have to pay £100 every day I drive in London from next month? (1989 Ducato based).

The timing depends on the weight of your vehicle. Only those motor caravans exceeding 12 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight are affected from next month. Motor caravans between 3.5 and 12 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight are affected from July. Vehicles weighing between 2.5 tonnes and 3.5 tonnes are not affected until October 2010.

You will find full details Here.

Graham

The story is on the BBC News Web Site. It appears that the LEZ will still start on 4th February but in the first 28 days "Failing vehicles will be issued with a warning letter the first time they are seen in the zone".

Whether that means that if a failing vehicle enters the zone more than once it will be charged for every time except the first remains to be seen

locovan - 2007-12-10 10:37 AM

I found this last night are we fogetting it is also in Europe

why cant we do it like Germany

From 1 January 2008 a total of 33 German cities will require all motorists to purchase a "Pollution Badge" in the form of a windscreen sticker in order to enter city centre ‘Umwelt Zones’ (green zones).

Just to clarify this. As a visitor you will need to produce details of your vehicle (I believe you can do this on line) just as for London. You will then get a badge (for a fee €10 or so) which denotes your compliance or not. If your vehicle doesn't comply you may not enter the controlled zones. Failure to stay out or display a badge will mean a daily fine of about€40.

my latest email from the ministry I asked for a fairer system like the Germans

Mavis Nye

By e-mail

Our ref: RLTD 4/7/04

Dear Ms Nye

Thank you for your e-mail of 6 January addressed to the Minister of State for Transport, about the London Low Emission zone (LLEZ). As you will appreciate, the Minister receives large volumes of correspondence from members of the public and is, unfortunately, unable to answer each personally. Therefore, I have been asked to reply.

I would like to explain that Parliament gave the Mayor of London the powers to introduce road charging schemes in greater London in the Greater London Authority (GLA) Act 1999 (as amended by the Transport Act 2000), which created the Greater London Authority. Therefore the legislation being used to implement the LLEZ has already been through the Parliamentary process.

Following the creation of the Greater London Authority, Transport for London (TfL) (under the Mayor’s jurisdiction) is now responsible for the day to day management of transport services in London (with the exception of National rail at present). The LLEZ is the responsibility of the Mayor of London and is being taken forward by TfL on his behalf. The aim of the scheme is to improve air quality for those living, working or studying in London, as well as to help London and the UK move closer to achieving national and EU air quality targets. The Government remains committed to improving air quality and the Department for Transport support the aims of the LLEZ.

I would also like to explain that all affected vehicles operating within the LLEZ must be registered with TfL, although most vehicles registered in Great Britain will not need to register as this will be done automatically. Registration with TfL only needs to be done once and is free. Only vehicles that are going to be driven in the zone need to be registered. However, a vehicle that is not registered with TfL (London) and driven in the zone will be liable for the daily charge of £200.

If you require further details regarding the proposed operation of the LLEZ, you can call the LLEZ helpline on 0845 607 0009 or write to Low Emission Zone Contact Centre, PO Box 4544, Coventry, CV6 9DW.

I hope this is helpful and that it explains the position.

Yours sincerely

Gordon Rolfe

London Transport Division 5

Department for Transport

Zone 3/26

76 Marsham Street

London

SW1P 4DR

Tel: 020 7944 8824

Fax: 020 7944 6011

Archived