Fridge part needed

Guest Manxmaid

Guest Manxmaid
Does anyone know where we could get a 'spyglass' for our old Electrolux RM212,F fridge? Our local supplier says it is no longer available. The spyglass is made of clear plastic and enables the gas pilot light to be seen. Thanks in advance.

Guest Derek Uzzell
I'd be tempted to check with Dometic whether your supplier is correct that this part is genuinely unavailable as Dometic fridges with 'spyglasses' were being marketed until quite recently. (Though I fully accept these might have used a different part to earlier models.) If a new spyglass for an RM212 can't be purchased, then you ought to be able to obtain a second-hand one from a caravan breaker. Caravanners seem to be forever having trouble with older fridges and it's usually RM212s that are mentioned as the culprits. You don't actually say what the problem is with the current spyglass. If it's just that the plastic 'lens' has failed (and you can't obtain the proper spare part), you could try replacing it with a suitably-sized watch 'face' from a watch repairer using bathroom silicone sealant to glue it in place. Can't see why that shouldn't work OK.

Guest Manxmaid
Hi Derek, thanks for info, will check with Dometic. The spyglass has broken (not sure how it happened)in such a way that it is not possible to glue it back together, its a bit like a short test tube with a flat end that actually pushes into the back of the fridge in front of the pilot light. Do you know where I could get a list of caravan breakers, just in case?

Archived