NEC And the Itineo Mhome

sparts

We went to the NEC and saw a very nice looking A class on a fiat based 2.3 multijet engine, called Itineo did any one see this model, it looks to be pretty good for the 35K asking price for the TD610 version at 20f length. my question is has any one got any views on this van make it is part of the Rapido group i understand and the dealers are based in yorkshire, are rapido a good type of van maker quality wise.

It seems to have every thing i want includeing the garage and hymer type bed folding up to the cieling at the front.

I am bad at explaining things i know but just wondering about other peeps views if they had seen it, i know you pays your monies and bite the bullit so to speak :o)

Another point i would like to ask is about keeping a van in a compound is it really any better for insurance costs ?

If you went hope u enjoyed it as much as i did this year.

Guest Tracker

Rapido seems to be a well respected French outfit who have been around for a long time and make some lovely vans.

I would never keep my van in a compound.

Maybe I am fortunate to have a drive big enough for all our vehicles, but the thought of having to take the car to fetch the van and then bring it home to load up then take it back after unloading makes the whole idea of spontaneous breaks a lot less appealing for me.

However if you have no choice maybe a phone call to your insurers before you buy would be worthwhile?

I suspect the cost of storage would be more than your extra insurance premium for keeping it at home.

As for the Itineo itself, I've seen one, not a bad van at all, but do check that you could live in it, that the beds are big enough etc, they are not always that big in an A class I recall due to the bed mechanism. Also, check the spec as against a 'non' A class to make sure you're getting what you want in it and, if not, how much it will cost to do so.

Guest Tracker
And can you live with climbing up a ladder to go to bed , can you get in and out easily for nocturnal emissions - in the dark and half asleep, can you sit up in bed to watch TV, read, or drink a cuppa and which of these things can you live without?

Tracker -  Maybe I am fortunate to have a drive big enough for all our vehicles, but the thought of having to take the car to fetch the van and then bring it home to load up then take it back after unloading makes the whole idea of spontaneous breaks a lot less appealing for me.

We have to store ours as we do not have enough room but it does not restrict us from using it a weekends etc. We leave as much as we can in the van and just go over in the car with the essentials and leave it in the space the MH was unless we decide to take the car with us.

If we go touring then we just go and fetch the MH and load it at home. O.K. if you have the time which we do. Would not be keen at keeping it at home as more MHs are stolen from homes than secure compounds. I worry about ours when it is parked on the drive. Our insurance company gives a small discount for it being in a secure compound.

sparts:

Itineo is indeed part of the Rapido commercial organisation, but my French Itineo brochure makes no mention of this link and the motorhomes themselves are built at Beaucouze (near Angers), while Rapido motorhomes are made in a totally separate facility at Mayenne. Rapido (at least in recent years) has targeted the 'deluxe' end of the motorhome market, whereas Itineo deliberately aims at buyers who place 'affordability' high on their priority-list. What I'm suggesting is that Rapido's reputation for high quality may not automatically transfer to Itineo.

Shortly after the Itineo brand was launched in France I had the chance to inspect a number of vehicles at a French motorhome dealership. I deeply disliked the frontal treatment, but I know full well that my idea of ugliness will be someone else's vision of loveliness. I wasn't greatly inspired by the internal appearance either.

Despite my personal reservations, Itineo has apparently proved popular sales-wise and we saw several during a recent trip to France. September's "Camping-Car" magazine reported that improvements to internal furniture and décor had been made across the range, and that the TD 610's transverse rear bed had an expensive Bultex mattress on a slatted base. As Mel B advises, you need to confirm what your £35k will be purchasing in terms of specification. I believe cab air-conditioning is not standard (1400 euros was quoted in Camping-Car as the cost of adding it) and, given Itineo's large window-glass area, you'd be unwise not to have it. Photos suggest that the external mirrors are manually adjusted, but this may be a wrong impression. (In my opinion a modern motorhome really should have electrically adjustable and heated mirrors.) In France Itineo is available with 100bhp or 130bhp Fiat motors. It may be that only the 130bhp version will be marketed in the UK and that's definitely the best choice. My Itineo brochure makes no mention of vehicle weights, but you'd be well advised to confirm these as payload (even for the smaller 610 models) is unlikely to be generous.

Other than the Itineo dealers being based in Yorkshire, you haven't said who will be offering this brand in the UK. There have been instances in the past where a relatively small UK company has chosen to import a Continental motorhome brand on a trial basis, then, when sales proved disappointing, ceased marketing that make (this happened with Challenger and Karmann) raising potential problems with after-sales services. However, if one of the 'Big Boys' is involved with Itineo, there's little likelihood of that happening.

I gave it a look over, and was not too impressed. It looked like it had been built down to a price, with what may be said to be "basic" fittings. Even the loo door had hinges which made to door close proud of the frame, so leaving an obvious gap.

When I stepped into the body, the floor flexed under my 16 st. so wondered if it would last long under frequent use.

Value for money though.

ITINEO

As Derek says, Itineo is Rapido's 'affordable' branding, just like Mooveo is Pilote's. The aim is simple: cover more market segments and you get more sales. Rapido's top market branding is Esterelle, so they now cover three distinct price/quality ranges.

It may be stating the obvious, but you will not get Esterelle construction quality at Itineo prices. All the manufacturers are playing this game - even the British (Swift have their Ace range).

Only you can decide on the point on the price/quality graph that will suit you.

STORAGE

Before you put a motorhome (or caravan) into a storage compound, you need to check your insurance carefully. Certainly, the policy I had until a couple of years ago cancelled cover automatically unless certain requirements were met regarding security, lighting, access and patrolling - all of which, of course, put up the cost of storage.

But theft of caravans from such compounds is widespread. Just as you go to Tottenham Court Road for cheaper prices on consumer electronics, you go to a compound to steal motorhomes/ caravans, 'cos that's the easy place to find them.

Mel E

====

Mel E 

But theft of caravans from such compounds is widespread. Just as you go to Tottenham Court Road for cheaper prices on consumer electronics, you go to a compound to steal motorhomes/ caravans, 'cos that's the easy place to find them. Mel E ====

Bit of an over statement Mel.

Very much depends where you store it and what security there is. Ours is on a CC site with wardens next to it, a huge security fence and CC TV. I have an alarm which rings my mobile if anyone interfers with it.

If the b****rs want it I suppose they will still have a go although they haven't lost one yet!!! 

Ask your insurance company where they would rather it be stored and they will always say a secure compound rather than your property.

The other problem is a missing MH or caravan is a dead giveaway that the occupants are on holiday!

Just returend from Birmingham show, and saw the new Itinieo, although did not look into it. Whilst externally it's OK, I understand it is the 'downmarket' brand of Rapido, and is not being sold by Rapido Wokingham. Although I didn't check, there may be other specific dealers, or perhaps it's just Brownhills. I also saw the 'Cityvan', from Pilote, which I thought a really rather odd loooking vehicle, especially the front end!

Archived