Beam Benders New Fiat

kelly58

Hi kelly

I was lookinng at the Headlight Guards in this month's MMM from CDC Truck (page 290) www.truckstuff.co.uk

They have them for the Ducato from 1994 to 2006, it might be worthasking if/when they will have them available.

The price for 2006 is £45.00 + £8.00 carriage,(VAT included) so similarly priced as Fiat.

Does anyone have any experience of these ?

Although not cheap, they are still less than replacing the Headlight Unit.

I bought a set of headlamp covers/ convertors for my new Peugeot off e-bay. They simply click into place and come with black stick on patches to fit on the already marked areas. They are for the Fiat as they have a small Fiat marked on them. Around £50 if I remember.

Paul

Surely there's some confusion here - the part referred to is a headlamp cover, not, as far as I am aware a 'beam bender. Unless they have changed both the function and style, these are simply plastic clip- on covers which protect the headlamp 'glass' from being broken by flying stones.

A Beam bender is something which is used to change the direction of the beam when travelling on the Continent, and still needs to be affixed to the headlamp cover.....

I did have a pair of headlamp covers on an earlier motorhome, and then used the standard Lucas stick on benders. With the new model Fiat, I could not obtain these at the time I needed them so bought the stick on 'orange' benders...although there was no indication of whereabouts on teh headlamp to stick them on! They worked Ok as far as I'm aware, but what a job to get them off.

Perhaps it's back to the clip on covers and sticky tape!

Guest Tracker

I found that warming the stickies by leaving the headlights on for a few minutes (engine running advised) or using a hair dryer makes them easier to unstick, and the residue that remained on the headlight could be easily removed with white spirit.

I then used double sided tape to restick them next time and following the same removal procedure am able to use them again and again.

Be careful not to get any white spirit on the sliver markings of the stickies as it will remove them too.

My understanding was that the 'beam benders' were stuck on the plastic 'headlamp protectors' which meant that whenever you went abroad you clipped in the headlamp protectors which had the beam benders already attached to them.

The benefit, as I understood it, was that once you'd bought the clip on headlamp protectors, and one set of beam benders, you never had to worry again about buying further sets or aligning them as you just clipped in the headlamp protectors . . . . . is that right? . . . . or have I misunderstood?

W2G

Guest Tracker

Yes but it does mean you can only use the expensive headlight protectors to protect your expensive headlights whilst abroad and not in the UK?

Maybe due to to heavier traffic your expensive headlights maybe more in need of protection in the UK than abroad?

True enough but the only time I've ever heard headlamp protectors mentioned was in connection with beam benders.

I fully agree those large lamps would probably cost a fortune to replace so it might pay to have 2 sets?  I guess £100 is a bit steep but not compared to having them replaced I guess, and you get a set of in-built beam benders :-)

When I picked up our new Ducato back in March I asked the dealer if the all-singing-and-dancing wing mirrors were expensive to replace should I twang a tree with one.  He went ashen and said, you don't want to replace one . . . . you really don't want to replace one.

W2G

Way2Go - 2007-10-21 3:14 PM:-)

When I picked up our new Ducato back in March I asked the dealer if the all-singing-and-dancing wing mirrors were expensive to replace should I twang a tree with one. He went ashen and said, you don't want to replace one . . . . you really don't want to replace one.

W2G

they are £178.95 fitted,some idiot just destroyed one of mine

bigal55 - 2007-10-21 3:21 PM
Way2Go - 2007-10-21 3:14 PM :-)

When I picked up our new Ducato back in March I asked the dealer if the all-singing-and-dancing wing mirrors were expensive to replace should I twang a tree with one. He went ashen and said, you don't want to replace one . . . . you really don't want to replace one.

W2G

Struth I'll bet that was a sickening noise Alan but a better price.  Did he stop and offer to pay for the damage . . . . .

Keith T - 2007-10-20 6:39 PM

Surely there's some confusion here - the part referred to is a headlamp cover, not, as far as I am aware a 'beam bender. Unless they have changed both the function and style, these are simply plastic clip- on covers which protect the headlamp 'glass' from being broken by flying stones.

A Beam bender is something which is used to change the direction of the beam when travelling on the Continent, and still needs to be affixed to the headlamp cover.....

I did have a pair of headlamp covers on an earlier motorhome, and then used the standard Lucas stick on benders. With the new model Fiat, I could not obtain these at the time I needed them so bought the stick on 'orange' benders...although there was no indication of whereabouts on teh headlamp to stick them on! They worked Ok as far as I'm aware, but what a job to get them off.

Perhaps it's back to the clip on covers and sticky tape!

Sorry folks

Reading back it looks I like caused the confusion :$

The thread started with Beam benders and then went on to quote the price for the Fiat Pt. No. for the headlight protective covers, which was my interest. 8-)

Way2Go - 2007-10-21 3:24 PM

Struth I'll bet that was a sickening noise Alan but a better price. Did he stop and offer to pay for the damage . . . . .

surprise, surprise, yes he did but no money has been forthcoming yet,it,s amazing how many pieces those mirrors can break into

Guest Tracker

Be careful with black stickers as opposed to silver.

The black absorbs heat and can mark the plastic covers or headlights with a sort of crazing and/or blurred patches.

It won't affect the lights a lot but it might affect the MOT and resale values?

bigal55 - 2007-10-21 3:21 PM
Way2Go - 2007-10-21 3:14 PM:-)

W2G

addendum; if you do not have through vision, try driving with the mirrors folded, the new cab seems wider than the old one and leaning out of the window to see whats along side is impossible,i taped the broken glass on which gave a very limited rearward view and then bought a tugger mirror and taped that on, this now stays in the van and hopefully will never be used again

Good point Alan and I agree.

The cab is wide and there is quite a distance between the seat and window.  We have the no-view-through fixed bed version and can fully understand that without the wing mirrors it must be awful trying to drive.

Hope everything is OK now.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived