canbus electrics and adding auxillaries

peteS

HI all I have a mk7 transit with canbus electrics same as the new Fiats etc.

My question is has anyone added a DIY reversing cam etc.

If so where did you coonect for the + and - supplies and is it ignition controlled. Any info appreciated.

Pete

Hi again Pete, i just remembered you can pick up a reverse light signal very easily under the bonnet. When standing in front of the van look to the right of the engine bay at the front and you'll see a multi pin plug and socket, the reverse signal is (if I remember correctly) on an orange wire in this plug. You can easily check it with a multimeter. Don't use this feed to power the camera system but you can safely use it for auto switching. I'm going to the sohw at the NEC today and I'll try to get a photo for you.

D.

Thank you Dave helpful as ever thank you.

While I am here I was disappointed to find out that the vehicle does not have central locking so, could you fit it for me at a later date.

I would prefer that it be linked into my alarm fob which is a Sigma S34.

It would be for cab doors only no sliding or rear doors, if it is any help the vehicle is a Hymer van 572 on a 57 plate.

A yes or no will suffice and if yes I will ring when ready to have it done for a quote etc.

Many thanks again

Pete

PS have a good show

Billbaillie:

This is the position as I understand it...

On Mk 6 Ford Transits (Year 2000 - 2006) the CANbus principle is restricted to the control of certain motor-related functions such as data transmission between ECU and fuel-pump. For non-motor-related functions (eg. operation of reversing lights, direction indicators, etc.) the Mk 6 uses a traditional multi-cable wiring loom. Consequently, an ardent DIY-er can add accessories (eg. trailer electrics or reversing aids) by hacking into the wiring loom in the time-honoured manner and be (fairly!) confident there will be no knock-on problems.

The current Mk 7 Transit (Year 2006 onwards) gained 'full house' CANbus replacing much of the traditional wiring loom. This type of arrangement complicates adding accessories as special care is needed to avoid compromising correct operation of the original system.

PeteS:

Interesting your comment about there being no central locking on your Hymer Van.

As far as I'm aware all coachbuilt motorhomes based on the Transit FWD chassis lack central locking. When I obtained my Hobby T-600 FC in 2005 I believed all 2000-onwards Transits were fitted with central locking on the cab doors as I understood this feature was standard on UK-marketed Transits. I well remember reading the Ford Owner's Guide wondering why I hadn't received a remote control for the door locks, then fiddling about turning the key this way and that in the cab locks vainly trying to get the central locking to operate. During a visit to a local UK Ford dealer I asked him to look up my vehicle on Ford's database and, sure enough, this showed that "manual locks" had been factory-fitted. (From what I recall, the database also defined the vehicle as a "modified panel van".) Can't say the omission of central-locking concerns me greatly, but I'd quite like the dead-locking facility that's parcelled in with it.

Derek thanks for the info re canbus, next question.

If I as Dave suggested try to pick up from the ignition switch am I likely to-

A) cause a meltdown

B) blow it up

C) it just won't work but damage nothing else

As for the central locking saga strikes me this is penny pinching gone too far.

Thanks

Pete

Hi everybody, this is my first post on this forum, although I am reading it frequently. I have a Ford Transit, latest model with a coachbuilt conversion (Dethleffs Globevan2). The motorhome has remote controlled central locking and no keyhole on the "copilots" door . My dealer told me, that is is because of the central locking. If this was true, then you could identify models with or without central locking by checking for the keyhole. Can anybody confirm this? Please excuse for partly hijacking this thread and any spelling mistake, but I am from Germany ,

Ollybear

Right Pete, here's a shot of the engine bay on the new Ford. To the right (arrowed) is a multi pin plug/socket connector and if I remember correctly there is an orange wire which is a feed from the reverse light switch, check it with a multi meter. You can safely use this as a switching signal for the "auto on with reverse" feature of your camera system (assuming it has such). You can take your power from the ignition switch with no worries about it interfering with the CanBus system.

Yes I can retro fit central locking but whether or not it can be connected to your alarm I'm not sure, I would expect the Sigma alarm to have an output but I'll have to check up on that. Any retro fit CDL system will not enable the deadlocking feature available with Ford's own system though.

D.

transitplug.jpg.2bb68cd82a4ac9ec0e2ff9272ff93652.jpg

Dave:

It appears from Pete's last posting that he is extremely apprehensive of using the ignition-switch wiring as a 12V power source for his reversing-camera system.

I note that Pete asked the same question on the MHF forum and the owner of a Fiat with CANbus said he had taken power for his own camera system from the vehicle's cigar-lighter as this was outside the Fiat's CANbus system. My (non-CAN-bus) Mk 6 Transit has two ignition-switched cigar-lighter/power-output sockets (10A or 20A) and I presume the MK 7 is similarly equipped. It seems probable to me that these will also be outside the MK 7's CANbus system and, because each socket will only have two wires (+ and -) leading to it, this should remove any possibility of confusion over choosing the wrong wires.

How does that sound to you?

Derek

Thank you again Dave I was hoping to have had a go this weekend but other jobs took priority. Will have a look next weekend all being well and try the ignition switch.

I want it ignition controlled because I use 2 camera's 1 as a rear view mirror.

Derek

"I note that Pete asked the same question on the MHF forum and the owner of a Fiat with CANbus said he had taken power for his own camera system from the vehicle's cigar-lighter as this was outside the Fiat's CANbus system. My (non-CAN-bus) Mk 6 Transit has two ignition-switched cigar-lighter/power-output sockets (10A or 20A) and I presume the MK 7 is similarly equipped. It seems probable to me that these will also be outside the MK 7's CANbus system and, because each socket will only have two wires (+ and -) leading to it, this should remove any possibility of confusion over choosing the wrong wires. "

On my transit yes there are 2 ciggy type connectors 1 in the driver glove box and 1 on the dash.

The one in the glove box is permanetely live on mine. As for the one on the dash I am not sure not used it yet but will check.

Thanks all for the help and info.

I'll let you know how I get on in due course.

Pete

Archived