DIY 'Expedition' trailer

Martyn Ward.

I've put this one on the caravanning forum but for some strange reason, there's been no reply.

To start with, the irony of this thread isn't lost on me .

My winter project is making an "expedition" trailer to carry my diving gear. It will be of walk-in design with opening rear doors and a side door, fitted out with racks and storage for all my precious underwater life support kit. I've acquired a twin axled Adria which I'm in the process of stripping out the interior. My original plan was to use just the chassis and fabricate a box on top of it. However, the more I look at the 'van, the more I wonder about using it "as is" , shortened by a couple of yards, the windows removed and filled and the outsides clad in GRP sheeting, new racks fitted to hold the gear and possibly some extra bracing inside. The work is no problem for me to do, the question I have is what will be the effect on the integrity of the structure when I've removed all the internal fixtures and fittings?

Has anyone attempted this before or am I safer starting from scratch from the chassis upwards/

Thanks all.

Martyn.

Martyn,

It might be more beneficial, if you were to obtain a medium sized box trailer, or even an old catering trailer, There are plenty of them on ebay and they will be a lot better suited to your needs.

If cost is a big factor, then can I suggest you buy perhaps an old 8 x 4 trailer and weld up a frame to turn it into a box, use exterior ply for the sides etc, and you will have a trailer big enough to not only carry your dive gear, but also big enough to get inside it to change.

Whoops, just noticed you already had a twin axle van, still, best bet would be to rip the body off, sell the ally, and build a frame as I first suggested. You can then do it to your own size, you dont really need it to be too big. It will be much safer and will look tidier.

Fit a frame inside at the front to secure your tanks , and bars across the top for BCD, wet/dry suit.

For a quick way of removing the bodywork from a caravan, tie a strong rope round the outside and secure it to an immovable object, hook the van to your car and drive away. It comes off soooooooooooo easy. :D

p.s. Im selling my diving gear if you know of anyone who may be interested.

Anyway, good luck with the project.

Guest Tracker

I once made a good camping trailer out of the back end of a BMC Mini Van.

It had suspension, lights and cable operated brakes (ex handbrake) already fitted and working and all it needed was a strengthening frame at the front and a large sheet of aluminium (ex scrap caravan) to make it water tight.

The draw bar from the same old caravan with over run brake and handbrake and jockey wheel was bolted through the floor pan and because it had locking back doors it was secure too.

The sense of achievement and pride in my creation was exceeded only buy the knowledge that had it cost next to nowt, and it lasted years before half a ton of sand made the suspension collapse - on a dual carriageway - but that's another story!

Donna ... you been torturing caravans again!!!! :D

Must admit I agree that when you strip out a caravan it can become very unstable. As for shortening the chassis etc, make sure you can do it as it may not be that easy depending on how it is constructed. You'll probably have to reinforce the floor itself, not for the weight, but to give it some rigidity and stop it flexing when in transit.

As for what you are stipping out, make sure you sell it on as it can be worth a bob or two and will help fund your 'conversion'.

Just had another thought, have you checked the insurance situation regarding leaving your gear in a trailer, no point going to all this trouble if you can't then insure your stuff?

Not sure about the specific model but in coachbuilt and A class motorhomes the usual construction technique means that all of the furniture etc will be built first, and then the walls affixed thereto last. Hence, the furniture acts is significant structural component. There’s no reason that once stripped, you wouldn’t be able to fabricate a frame (the shelving could double up) to reintroduce the required integrity. I should imagine it would be up to the job if your DIY skills are OK. 

Could you be persuaded that a motorhome with built in garage would be a far more elegant solution?

Hi there,

I've only just joined and skimming through the lists saw the words 'Expedition Trailer' and skidded to a halt. I'm building such a trailer to tow behind my Land Rover based camper. I'm using an ex-military trailer as a base which wouldn't help you much.

Regarding the message from Tracker, sorry, but if you use car brakes on a trailer these days you will be in serious trouble from the guys in blue. Pity, because I could have cut a Land Rover down.

Good luck with your project, but you might find yourself better off with a serious chassis, smaller and tougher.

Right, back to skimming through the lists.

Guest Tracker
The handbrake cables were actuated by the over run brake and by the draw bar parking brake and when used in anger the trailer wheels would lock up much as caravan wheels do. Indeed without so doing the whole thing would have been unstable but as it was it towed beautifully and was very stable at quite high speeds too!

Hello again

Nicely spotted Tracker. I once had to explain it to a dedicated Dr Who fan. Doh!

As for Clive's response, you should be right, but using car brakes on a trailer manufactured after October 1982 is illegal. There is an EU directive - isn't there always - which requires braked trailers built after this date to be fitted with auto-reversing brakes. Using a minivan might get you under the 750kg gross limit, but if the brakes are there they have to work and if they work the're illegal. Catch 22 and 23 and 24 and...

H&S overload. On the other hand for every well engineered version there's probably a heap of junk waiting to bite.

The ex-military trailer I'm converting has a hydraulic braking system that is very very effective - sometimes, doesn't have auto-reverse, doesn't comply with any current laws and it was built after 1982, BUT, as it was for MoD it is road legal. Other road users might be pleased to hear that it is being made to comply with current laws for my own peace of mind.

Interesting topics on this site, now Clive - about my generator

Only kidding, honest.

Archived