HELP

tamworthkamper

HELP  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi got 14 days holis starting next weekend .Thinking of heading down to the south of france. Two things looked on the net last night and the sun we were looking for is nt there any ideas on the temps.The route we going to take is Dover calais to Remis first night down to Macon on to Orange and on to St tropez .I think this should be comfy 4 day drive in our compass 120. About 1400 mile from home. any ideas on how much deisel we will use .We have 1.9 and go along between 60 and 70 mph. The route looks to be mainly motorway.I recon about £700 in fuel for the round trip this seems a hell of alot of money and would live a big hole in the buget I work on 20 to the gallon.So we now thinking of late deal and fly somewhere .

Also looking in the AA site book of France not mainy sites open. Help what should we do would spain or portugal be better but which parts The navergator wants some SUN

Hi Andy- IMO the cost for just 2 weeks, with all the driving is just not worth it. We have considered these options and the winter sun package beats it hands down. Check out some of the deals on the net, 2weeks for 2 persons half board, £750 aprox Costa del Sol. O.K you are in one place for 2 weeks but a small car on hire works out quite cheap. Save the van for when you can have more time at your disposal . You know it makes sense . B-)

Dont forget you may get stranded due to the strikes in France !

The faster you drive the more fuel you will use

Remind your navigator its tiring driving whilst he/she only looks out the window and is free to nod off whenever !

Its going to be good weather here till the end of month and new moon

Cannot help with South of France but some say very wet!

If you manage to achieve some brown colouring from the sun's rays it will fall off as your skin grows through again. Have fun.

Looks like you have one hell of a thirsty camper £700 for 1400 miles works out at 2 miles costs you 1 £. Great free beacbfront camping on Antibes side of Nice near train station. Buy loads of cheap booze and food ready for the long cold winter.

Our 'old' 1.9 'Wanderer' averaged 26.9 m.p.g. over 56,000 so £700:00 is a lot. Agree that the drive is part of the fun. Why do you not take turns at driving? Swop every 2 hours ish will make the journey easier and you can take turns at looking out of the window!!

Regards Mike

Guest Tracker

If 400 of those miles are in the UK at £4.50 a gallon and the rest is down to the south of France, which is about 650 miles from the Channel ports, and at about 4.50 EUROS a gallon that comes to about err.................................£300 if you include an extra 100 miles for navigational errors.

Not bad for two weeks holiday I would say?

If you land with not a lot of fuel in the tank (as long as it is not midnight or early hours when all the garages are shut) and fill up at the French port on both trips the cost will be a bit less.

Hi I was working on the mileage given in our RAC road atlas of europe which say that London to Marselle is 1210 miles. We are roughly 100 miles from London . Reading these coments you all think our pug should be doing 26 to the gallon . Tracker are you sure it only 650 miles? Do you go the same route as we intend to go? Your millage would give us 1660 for the round trip.Some what less than my 2800. Which I get to be £415 so even with a bit of floating around say another £100 for getting lost and days out we could do it .

We went to Provence & Marseilles in May. Came back along the RN which runs beside the Auto route (peage) via Lyon, Dijon, Reims to Calais, I am sure it was not much more than 700 miles Med to Channel. We treated it a a 'two stopper' in relation to overnights.

Regards MIke

Try using the Michelin route planner at:

www.viamichelin.co.uk

You can set it up in various ways to get the best route for you including setting it to quickest, fastest, economical etc, and also whether you want it in miles or km, and also set the fuel cost to £ or euros and how much it costs per litre. The only problem is that you can't set the miles per gallon (or per litre) to match your exact van. If you want to have a totally over the top figure for fuel you can set it to a luxury porche as that's the most fuel hungry vehicle. You can also get an idea of the toll costs but as again you can't set it to motorhome this is just a rough guide.

I've just done it for Calais port to St Tropez port as an example and it came up with (one way) 733 miles. For ease, 5 miles to a litre of fuel, this would equate to 146.6 litres of fuel, at 70p a litre, that's £102.00, so £204.00 return.

You can do the same for the UK part of the journey, so 100 miles would be roughly 20 litres of fuel at £1.00 a litre, so that's £20.00 each way, £40.00 return.

Minimum cost of £244 for fuel.

You then need to add in the cost of the ferry/chunnel to/from France and you've got an idea of what you're going to pay.

Guest Tracker
tamworthkamper - 2007-10-19 5:29 PM

Hi I was working on the mileage given in our RAC road atlas of europe which say that London to Marselle is 1210 miles. We are roughly 100 miles from London . Reading these coments you all think our pug should be doing 26 to the gallon . Tracker are you sure it only 650 miles? Do you go the same route as we intend to go? Your millage would give us 1660 for the round trip.Some what less than my 2800. Which I get to be £415 so even with a bit of floating around say another £100 for getting lost and days out we could do it .

We drove by car from Dunkirk to Narbonne in April in just over 14 hours including several stops and the car clocked 680 or so miles - 1088 km. There are parts of the South coast of France that are not quite that far so it depends where you go but 700 miles - 1120km - each way should cover it.

I would expect most vans to do around 25 to 28 mpg depending on speed but it is a lot of constant speed which is when a modern engine is at it's best.

Archived