skiing

panagah

OK happie Chappie.

About Aires. Lots of Aires in the skiing resorts but as I said in my previous reply you will have to take pot luck when you go as the french will be out in force and who can blame them. My best advice is to google Campingcar Infos. It's a great site and you will be able to get nearly 80% of the French Aires. You will get locations based on the individual departments. Then click on the places near to where you want to go. You can zoom in and it will give you detailed maps. pictures of the sites and now you can get satellite images of the Aires themselves. Don't go to Chamonix as it is over rated and you are 8km away from the lifts into the main skiing area. Les Gets has a good aire. Sammoands also has a good campsite and aire close to the lifts. The Megeve, Notre dame de Ballecome road has a number of places for stopping. Just ask in the Ski shops. Go south into the three valleys Bourg St Maurice area but beware you are getting into expensive country for your ski passes. Finally look around La Tania. If it's raining go into your travel agents and scoop up the skiing brochures and browse. Finally, just look at you prefered area and google up the tourist information they will give you loads of fun and webcams as well. anything else just ask. Oh by the way! if you find a space stay on it if the skiing is any good as you might not find another so easily

ned

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats alright HChappi. Always willing to help a fellow traveller. Don't forget to get your insurance sorted before you go and take out the 'slope insurance' at the Telecabine ski pass. It will then be printed on your ski pass so when your rolling in agony when you have been mown down by the visiting German Burghers the rescue service can see that you are covered to take you down. Another thing whilst you are airlifted off the slope, is that you can sue the German under french law and he can be arrested. It's true! but I only mentioned it so you could have a laugh!!!!!

Ned (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Hi 'Chele

The replacement set came this morning (they sent the 9mm the first time). They seem to be ok, look easy enough to fit, in saying that, I have never used chains before. Came in a hard plastic case with a pair of those disposable gloves you get at diesel pumps and some spare links.

My mate will be glad they are not as big as the chains that driver had to use on "ice road truckers" last night

8-)

What ever you do try fitting them in this country. You do not have to drive on them here, but try fitting them.

When you need chains in the snow you want to be sure of what you are doing. Nothing worse than trying to fit them for the first time with cold hands in driving snow and icy winds.

Another tip, anticipate the road conditions, don't leave it until you are stuck before having to fit them in anger.

Some roads have special laybys for fitting chains

Snow chains are compulsary in some mountain areas. Road signs indicate where these are.

Another tip.

Electric hook up cables get warm and the heat melts the snow/ice surrounding them and the cable sinks in and gets frozen over in the course of a few days.

Lift the cable off the ice two or three times a day and move it slightly. This will prevent you having to chip the embedded cable out at the end of your stay.

donna miller - 2007-11-16 1:34 PM

Hi 'Chele

The replacement set came this morning (they sent the 9mm the first time). They seem to be ok, look easy enough to fit, in saying that, I have never used chains before. Came in a hard plastic case with a pair of those disposable gloves you get at diesel pumps and some spare links.

My mate will be glad they are not as big as the chains that driver had to use on "ice road truckers" last night

8-)

Mine have arrived, the only way I can make them fit is by adding an extra link?

I have only tried briefly to fit them and will try again tomorrow when I use the van to go on my skiing lesson

Anybody see the Channel 4 programme this morning

Solden & Reiteralm in Austria recorded from friday & Saturday.

60cms new Snow in the last 24hours (Friday to Saturady) and more forecast for the next 3 days.

Hope the temperatures keep low and it should form an excellent base for the season.

!Come on!! - looks like we could have a bumper season

(lol) :-D

Archived