Fiat or what?

Charlieme

When deciding on a new M/H two years ago Fiat were right at the bottom of my list.

So why do people buy them?

They seem to be discussed on this forum rather a lot and not for their good points?

Is it because Italy has a warm climate where water dries off easily?

As you may have read earlier I have bought a Fiat, I have never been a Fiat fan hence my request for info on Niggles and Faults on Fiat,s, I wanted a Bessacarr Bodywork /interior Layout , and it seems Bessacarr come on Fait chassis, Bessacarr may get the Chassis cabface & engine cheaper than other models , who knows ,I take consolation in the fact Bessacarr being one of our (British ) top Caravan / motorhome makers wouldnt risk thier reputation by building thier motorhomes on a Duff Engine Chassis combination, only time will tell ,I,ll certainly voice my opinion if I find them unreliable, You see enough of them on the road so they can,t be in for repair all the time. ?

In spite of the spate of problems on the new Fiats (others too) the performance of the new Ducato engine - we have the 1.6 (3 litre) - is terrific. Fiat appear to have a very good customer base and the power alone makes up for the few niggling teething problems, in our opinion. They are not afraid to admit to a problem and come up with a solution - in our case anyway!

When we drove up a long steep incline, towing a Smart car on our trailer, in 5th gear using cruise control in the Alps last month - we were mighty pleased. B-)

I would think that a lot of people choose the motorhome first, i.e. space,layout, kitchen,comfort etc, and then choose from the vehicle makes available.

As so many motorhomes are based on Fiats it seems reasonable that there is more discussion on them than others.

malc d - 2007-10-21 11:12 AM I would think that a lot of people choose the motorhome first, i.e. space,layout, kitchen,comfort etc, and then choose from the vehicle makes available. As so many motorhomes are based on Fiats it seems reasonable that there is more discussion on them than others.

Good point Malc, but I bought mine the other way round.

After working with Fiat cars for a number of years I was determined not to purchase anything with the Fiat badge.

Eventually decided on the Renault (which has been excellent) and then searched for a long, long time to find a suitable layout.

we had a talbot express years ago, we sold it after five years from new, (we normally keep a van ten years) next we had a vw (clubman) so when it came time to change the only van that suited our needs was a auto sleeper nuavo on the peugot, so with doubt's we changed, but havent regreted it yet (one year next month)

pete

Firstly I don't understand why you put them at the bottom of your list!

Whilst ours is a Peugeot it is still a Sevel as are Fiat and Citroen and it is the best Motorhome we have ever had. Yes they are discussed a lot but as they are in the majority I would expect that, MB are also discussed but as they are probably in the minority I would not expect to see so much discussion on them but they are certainly not without their own unique problems (e.g.sprintshift) as are other makes. Some swear by VW, that has been the only make we have owned that I detested and would not ever have another, so there you go, its horses for courses.

Our Sevel has done 79000miles now with only regular servicing, cambelts, a new exhaust, tyres and headlamp levelling control, it has been completely satisfactory taking us all over Europe without any drama, so what is there for me to complain about? All vehicles need servicing, tyres and exhaust changes.

Personally I have never, and would avoid, being the purchaser of any new design vehicle, I have no desire to 'keep up with the Jonses' so tend to buy as late a model as possible after all the flaws and design faults are ironed out (you tend to get improved equipment levels then as well) and then keep it for as long as possible, I see no reason to throw away money on what is just a tool. Mind you the likes of 'Red Ken' might help to scupper that philosophy!

The truth is that people normally only create and make a fuss when they have a problem or feel that they have been hard done by, laws of averages say that the more of something that is made or sold the higher the possibility of complaints.

Bas

A newly designed model of any make can certainly have teething problems.

I worked in an industry that was constantly modifying parts for 'just new' vehicles, I guess M/H's are no different.

Perhaps owners of other models don't shout so loud, or perhaps its as suggested that there's more of them.

We have had 2 SEVEL (Peugeot) chassis'ed M'homes. The first for 9:6 years & the newer one since Jan 07. Found them both to be problem free and a good vehicle to drive. We took a test drive in a V.W. M'home once but turned it down on being told by the salesman that 'it drives just like a car'. I wanted a M'home which drove like a van and had a 'presence' on the road!! Each to their own though. you pay your money on your own choice.

Regards, MIKe

Archived