weinsberg / knaus

Jasper

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Knaus Van Ti 550 and a Weinsberg 550 MD? I have only seen pictures on the web of the Weinsberg but it looks identical to me. I know they are part of the same group but is there a difference in build quality etc?

Thanks

It's all about marketing. If you have only one brand, it will only fit into one fairly narrow market segment these days. So you 'stretch' into other market segments by having other brands - either ones you gain together with their established segments by acquisition, or ones you create for the job.

For example, Pilote, an established French mid-market brand, acquired German Frankia, which moved them both up market and also into Germany in one swoop. More recently they acquired Le Voyageur, one of the top two French up-market brands. Though they produce very low numbers, the idea is that their superior build quality and design 'rubs off' on the reputation of their other marques.

A couple of years ago, they introduced Mooveo, a purely created brand, well down market of Pilote, but aimed at value conscious family buyers, a market they were not previously selling to.

They are all at it! As has been said, you pays your money, etc.

Mel E

====

Thanks folks. I've now seen the Weinsberg and it looks incredibly similar to the Knaus. Although the internal fitments are almost identical I'm not sure if the workmanship and finish is quite to the same standard. Some of it may be that the glitches, such as uneven cupboard doors, have not been fixed yet but I don't remember seeing so many bare screw heads etc in the Knaus.

I guess it's decision time now - Knaus / Weinsberg/ Hymer or Rapido?

We have a Weinsberg Imperiale 670 LD - it is the same van as the Knaus Sun Ti. As you say Weinsberg are part of the Knaus Tabbert group and they are built in the same factory. Build quality and equipment levels are basically the the same as far as I can tell. No ill fitting cupboards or on show screw heads in our example.

There are some differences in design details, mostly trim - for example ours has a different roof pod over the cab and a different arrangement for the built in drop down.

HTH

Archived