Poland

wynmax

Fit an alarm with a tracker. My brother in law drives for a living in Krakow. He's twice had his alarmed van stolen. The first time it was ransomed back to him. The second time it disappeared.

The roads are much the same as Greece, Belgium or rural France, which I find generally better than in London or much of South east England.

Many of the Polish campsites I've stayed on have been a bit like traveling in time, - viz back to the fifties, which is when the last improvements were made or the place painted.

In Warsaw and Krakow traveling by tram and bus is very cheap. But buy your tickets from the kiosk before boarding and punch them in the machines.

Gdansk is beautiful - as are the Mazury lakes (about half way down and to the East.) You can take a canoe out for a day, week or fortnight camping en route though it might be a bit chilly in Spring.

Don't miss Krakow. Allow enough time to just BE there. Wander around, take a horse drawn carriage ride (best to team up with another couple for best value). Enjoy a Zyviec beer in the square. Listen to the bugler. Explore the Wavel.

Near Krakow are the Wieliczka Salt Mines and of course Oswiecim (auschwitz). The former is glorious. The latter ... very sobering. Be prepared to cry.

On the southern border is the mountain retreat of Zakopane where everyone's in a good mood all the time.

Just rearead the thread and noticed Chas's comment about them all being here. It's a real problem for the folk who ARE left behind, - like my wife's family who can't find a builder!

We were there a couple of years ago and yes the roads were rough and that included motorways. There are some new roads going in though. We picked up our brand new 'van and went straight there - what a good way to find out if all the bolts had been tightened properly

Worse though were the driving standards - they don't know the meaning of give way! If you are going in a right hand drive 'van make sure you have plenty of valium for the passenger!

If you don't speak the language make sure you take a good phrase book as there are not as many english speakers there as you will find in other countries like Germany.

Take a look at Michael Palins New Europe repeated Saturday BBC2 @6.20pm a fasinating insite of Poland  especially seeing a boat being towed overland from one stretch of canal to the next no locks there to allow passage . I would like to take a tour of Poland myself ,but my other half is not so keen ,still theres all winter to try and persuide her..;-)

A very big thanks you to all of you for your interesting & helpful info re-trip to Poland. Those roads sound a bit offputting...we haven't got a tracking alarm....and the 'driving habits' of the Poles are scaring me already...the nice bits make for happiness BUT ...I wonder...do you think we should go somewhere else ??? It's in debate. Again thanks from Wyn

Summer before last we went to the Baltic countries, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.  We travelled to Berlin, then headed north and east, into Poland and up across the north Polish Baltic coast.  As mentioned in a previous post, Gdansk was trully beautiful.  We had been warned of the bad polish roads, but the north coast road is great.

If you wanted to venture into Lithuania and then up through Latvia and Estonia, you won't regret it.  So far, in the area of motorhoming, this has been our best holiday yet.  It is such a long way across Germany and Poland, though, that we came back on a ferry from Klaipeda to Kiel, simply to rest us and the van!

But wow!  What a trip!

There is a Travel Consultant in the MMM magazine for this region of Europe.  Send him an email and he will send a eaflet with all you need to know about the roads, camping, do's and don'ts.

Archived