Italy

alan

As a retirement present to ourselves, we are thinking of touring Italy in our campervan next summer. We've had a couple of years in France so have general experience on the Continent, but we need help. Have any of our friends in the forum experience of Italy? Do they have the equivalent of France Passion/Aires? Any websites for campsites? Has anybody any idea about security on the Adriatic as we had thought about touring down one side and up the other? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

We were in Italy this May. Be prepared for lots and lots of roadworks on the Motorways as Italy tries to deal with a massive increase in freight traffic from Eastern Europe. The Motoways are thus largely crammed with lorries. When we ventured off the main roads, we fouind the condition of minor roads to be appalling, especially in the South. I like Italy a lot, but hate driving in the place.

We have been to Italy on 3 occasions in the last couple of years.

We have combined a mixture of camping wild, with the odd night on cheaper sites and extended stays on two larger tourist sites near Rome and Punta Sabbioni (Venice).

As far as security is concerned we have never had any problems. The Italians are the Kings of the wild camp, so the rule of thumb is, if you see 'em camping then so can you! Car parks, wasteland, by the side of the road... you name it they'll do it. And so have we!

Any good guide will tell you where the cheapies are. I could name a couple of sites in Pisa and Cortina which are glorified Aires but without any risk.

The Adriatic is relatively quiet so I doubt very much whether it could be mentioned in the same breath as the South of France or Catalunya, in terms of safety.

Haven't ventured further South than Rome mind.

Thinking of two/three months in Italy ourselves next year, would be very grateful for anything about the places to visit/stay.

Will be going as far down country as Naples.

Lucky you! We went to Italy for the first time (ever) last month in our new van - towing our Smart car on a trailer. It was brilliant. We were very surprised how many aires there were too.

We had booked on the Bella Italia site on the southern shore (literally) of Lake Garda. Good facilities, friendly and a view from our van of the Lake and Dolomite mountains. We liked it so much we stayed an extra day and cut short our travel time back to the UK, but it was a good choice.

The best thing we did was to take the Smart car - very little difference in the few tolls we paid - if travelling via Switzerland you need 2 vignettes displayed on tow vehicle if using motorways (they last from Jan to Jan, inclusive then there are no more tolls!) This enabled us to travel the small, winding roads from a base site.

Within 100 metres or so of the entrance to the site was an aire - but with the trailer turning could be difficult. If using aires etc. if you find you would like to go on sites occasionally it's worth using camping cheques (£10-30 per night for van, 2 people and electric - not in high season though).

Lidles abound and "Penny Market" is similar. On the road to Verona from Peschiera Del Garda is a newish Carrefour supermarket - good directions and advertising and they are CHEAP (cheaper than the ones in France for a lot of things).

Have fun B-)

My experience is the North (alps) and Tuscany and Umbria

There are numerous aires (google on 'aree di sosta' for info and POIs for downloading to sat navs) - there is also an organisation that has agreed special overnight rates for M/Hs on some campsites.

A lot of them in popular areas (Garda, Coastal, tourist cities) are fairly expensive in my opinion (10 - 20 euros per night in mid-season - some charge around 1E an hour). Usually a 48 hour maximum stay.

They can get very crowded at week-ends and Italians like to park close.

What size 'van have you got - ours is 22foot and I wouldn't have liked to try and find overnight space with anything bigger.

No experience of campsites

Never any problems finding free fresh water and grey and black dumps.

HTH

Hi Robin and catinou

Many thanks for the info.

Maybe I should have said that I am a "tugger" with a 22ft caravan.

Got plenty of time to put together a schedule as we are not planning to go until June/July. Thought I would include the 24hr Lemans race too wich is in midish June.

We have had three trips into France/Spain this year, each time we have had bother, first time absolutely freezeing weather and robbed, second time cold and rained heavilly almost all of the time, and this last time, the best holiday we have had for years, came back with a severe case of the trots and sickness.

Anyone who has tried driving 327 miles in that condition will know that it makes you keep your foot well down to the floor between the services and that it can ruin ones underwear

Tuggers are no problem (unless they criticise the way they think my husband should be running in his new engine - but that's another tale).

Camping cheques are good for caravans too. You can add to the card at any point in your travels so don't have to buy masses in advance of a long trip. It might be worth looking at their web site for sites search if that's the way you might like to go - offers often available on site - eg stay 7 pay 5, or stay 14 pay 11 - or, even better - free bottle of wine on arrival! (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

We had a great summer trip to Lake Garda and enjoyed it so much we are returning again for a month next summer. always managed to find parking - maybe not at nearest point to attractions but always somewhere for motorhomes nearby..

food and people great, friendlier IMO then the French who tend to be a bit drab in comparison :-D

My wife insisted on a change from France and it was brilliant. we may be heading south to Puglia region. so anyone with knowledge and site recommendations, it would be appreciated.

We have made several trips into Italy, to Tuscany and Umbria, down to Naples and the Sorrento Peninsula, and this Christmas, down to Puglia.

We never plan sites, and use the aree di sosta as much as possible. Formal sites in Italy are more expensive than most other European countries. 

We use the book "Camper Stop Europe" to find them...

http://www.camperstop.co.uk

Hi Catinou

I was interested in your implication that you can get camping cheques whilst on your travels instead of getting masses of them in advance. Surely this is only possible if you can provide a forwarding address. This is probably alright for caravanners who tend to stay on the same site for some time but not for motorcaravanners who are on the move more often.

I agree that camping cheques are the way to go but it is a bit of a guessing game as to how many you need to order before travel.

Whilst in Italy throughtout September (4 different camping cheque sites) I was discussing with another Brit the matter of having sufficient c chqs. He said that the organisation ACSI allow members to pay site fees at the same discounted rates as c chqs. The difference is that you do not require cheques/vouchers in advance. Anyone else heard of this?

John L

JudgeMental - 2007-10-25 9:10 PM

We had a great summer trip to Lake Garda and enjoyed it so much we are returning again for a month next summer. always managed to find parking - maybe not at nearest point to attractions but always somewhere for motorhomes nearby..

food and people great, friendlier IMO then the French who tend to be a bit drab in comparison :-D

My wife insisted on a change from France and it was brilliant. we may be heading south to Puglia region. so anyone with knowledge and site recommendations, it would be appreciated.

We were in Italy (Without the Motorhome) in May and stayed at Limone sul Garda on the West coast of Lake Garda.

All I can say is DO NOT TRY TO DRIVE YOUR MOTORHOME/CARAVAN UP THE WEST COAST OF LAKE GARDA!

It is a hellish twisty affair that narrows and dives through a labyrinth of assorted tortuous tunnels that I would challenge anybody to get their motorhome/caravan through without ripping something off it!

All the buses have damage to their mirrors and other extremities! The East coast road is cosiderably better.

Be warned....

Jimmy

I would add to get the Caravan Club Caravan Europe 2 sites guide, which includes Italy.  The entries are written by caravanners, and give a very fair indication of what is on offer.  Sites are all over Italy so no problem with finding one near most places.  Our own experience of arees di sosta was that they are pricey and not necessarily very good value - but then we prefer campsites.  I also have a feeling that trailer caravans are not, strictly, entitled to use these.

I'd add that campsites aren't really that much more expensive if you go out of season and use the ACSI card whenever possible.  However, Italian campsites are a bit of a mixed bag, and cost does not generally relate to the quality of the site, just to what the site operator thinks he wants to charge.  The CC guide will generally help you to avoid the real lemons.

As stated above, the Italians do park very close.  They also travel late, so a van parking six feet away at 11:30 pm isn't that unusual.  The difference with sites is they still arrive at 11:30 pm, but usually park on the next pitch - so a bit further away!

If you want a good general guide for the country, I'd suggest the Rough guide.  If you want a guide that focuses a bit more on the culture, try the Michelin Green guide.  Oh and don't do as we did, and assume the Appenines that run down the spine of Italy won't be much more than hills.  They are a branch of the Alps that turned South, and are fully fledged mountains with snow on top even summer!  One campsite we used wasn't that far below the snowline in May!  Van heating is such a comfort, isn't it?

Driving?  Well, you have to get used to it.  The Italians generally become more impetuous as you go South, but are seldom aggressive drivers.  They are not greatly attentive, and tend to do things on the spur of the moment; like following you down two miles of empty straight, and then overtaking you round the first bend that comes along.  It's all a bit chaotic and very different for us reserved, disciplined, Brits.  Even the French seem reserved by comparison.  When they do silly things, Italians rather expect other road users to help them out, which is generally what happens without any protest.  Our hard nosed "Protestant" attitudes, that you should suffer the consequences of your own actions, can be interpreted as a bit unsympathetic, or even murderous, so you have to be much more forgiving of the fallibility of others - if you see what I mean.  There are various laws about speed, phone use, lights, indicators, and what side of the road to drive on, but Italians generally regard these as merely general guidance.  However, it is probably unwise to join them at this game with too much gusto, as they are far better at it (being more practiced), and seem to have a sixth sense for where the Carabinieri will be!  Just be prepared, take it in you stride, don't get mad, treat it as fun (it can be hilarious), look, learn , and let them get on with it.  You'll be fine!

Regarding country guides, Cindy and I are exclusively Lonely Planet Guide users. LPG tells things as they are, and in the area of restaurants, usually include some real gems, especially if you are after those tourist-free, local food places.

On Italian drivers, Brian, "well said"!!! Here is an exerpt from my regular updates to family and friends back in Australia. Most Aussies don't get a chance to drive on the other side of the road. I have always enjoyed comparing cultures!...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It struck me as we motored around Northern Italy that we have spent the last 5 years driving in Europe, and we have adapted to many different styles and approaches to road etiquette. Here follows a list of pointers that may be of interest to any of you driving in Europe for the first time, especially on highways/motorways/autoroutes. Contrasting Portugal, France and Italy with Britain will probably suffice...

You will of course keep in mind that everything for the mainland European countries described below is happening on the other side of the road and everything is backwards. And if you are driving a British car, sitting on the right and driving on the right, then everything is backwards twice!!

Those white lines on the road...

Britain: These lines mark out the "lanes". The aim is to keep the vehicle between the lines unless overtaking or turning off.

Portugal: These lines mark out the "lanes". The aim is to keep the vehicle between the lines unless overtaking or turning off.

France: Ignore all lines, position the car exactly in the middle of the road and drive very fast. Try not to drift and take up a position between the lines. That would be how the British do it, and it is completely inappropriate for the French to copy the British.

Italy: The lines perform no known earthly function. They are probably there to assist landings from Outer Space.

Overtaking...

Britain: Check the mirror to make sure the adjacent lane is clear, signal and then carefully move into that lane and overtake. When past the slower vehicle, signal and return to your original lane.

Portugal: Drive at high speed up to the rear of the slower vehicle. Position your car 4 inches behind the car in front and stay in this formation for at least 5 miles. Then, for no reason understandable to man or God, pull out and overtake at extremely high speed.

France: Move from the centre of the road to the outside at 100 miles per hour. Signal only if the correct song is playing on the radio. After the manoeuvre is complete, return to the centre of the road.

Italy: As described previously, there are no lanes, so this makes things easy. Just swing your car randomly from side to side, varying your speed till you are well ahead of the other car. For a fraction of a second, pause to consider what on earth those silly white lines are for. Return to whatever part of the road is most comfortable.

Roundabouts...

Britain: Approach the roundabout with decreasing speed, consider which lane you should be in, signal if you will be exiting left or right, enter the roundabout after giving way to the cars already in the roundabout (they will be approaching from the right), negotiate the roundabout, exit smoothly and join your selected carriageway.

Portugal: Si.

France: Do not alter speed. Consider whether this is the old style or new style. If marked "Vous n'avez pas la priorite", then give way to traffic already in the roundabout (they will be approaching from the left); if not marked this way, or you simply missed the sign, drive straight into the roundabout at high speed without checking for other cars. Choose the shortest path within the roundabout and exit without signalling.

Italy: The absence of lanes makes roundabouts easy. Just swing your car randomly from side to side, as if this were a normal straight piece of road, and exit at the very last moment. This is important. It must come as a complete shock to yourself and others on the road that you chose this exit over any other.

Parking...

Britain: Select an appropriate parking space in a designated parking area. Always park exactly alongside someone else, never leave a car-space between. If there is only one car in an otherwise empty 5 acres of car park, drive over to that car and park alongside it so closely that the door hits the other car when you open it.

Portugal: Select an appropriate parking space in a designated parking area, making sure that those around you will have room to manoeuvre if they leave before you.

France: Select a completely inappropriate parking space in a designated parking area. Make sure that others are extremely inconvenienced by the position of your vehicle.

Italy: Ignore all designated parking areas. These must be for tourists. Place the car at a strange angle, with one wheel on the pavement and the back of the car completely obstructing the car next to you. Make sure you keep well away from those pesky white lines. Whilst manoeuvring the car into position ensure that at least one other car receives a dent in the process. If there are no places park close to the pavement, simply park in the centre of the road, or better still, on a Pedestrian Crossing.

Pedestrian Crossings...

Britain: Drive carefully in the vicinity of a crossing. If someone is trying to cross, slow to a stop and allow them to cross safely. Drive away with care.

Portugal: Drive carefully in the vicinity of a crossing. If someone is trying to cross, slow to a stop and allow them to cross safely. Drive away with care.

France: Continue through the crossing without altering speed. Only stop at the crossing when it is the only place left to park in the street.

Italy: Increase speed. Again, pause for a moment to consider what on earth those white lines are for. If feeling a little devilish, stop at the crossing and motion to the pedestrian to cross. Cherish the expression of absolute shock and confusion on the pedestrian's face. Monitor the pedestrian's progress closely, ready the engine, then accelerate past at the last minute missing the pedestrian by inches and causing them to lurch forward in fright.

hi Alan,

We travelled quite a bit around northern italy mainly in the mountains. Googling aree di sosta brings up quite alot of info, one needs to know roughly where one wants to visit otherwise there's just too much info.

Many of the ski lift car parks allow overnight parking, or often somewhere close. Sometimes they are organised with facilities some not. There are some horrendous large camper parks in the mountains where there are lots of vans, and parked close together, Misurina near Cortina springs to mind. In some places, Val Gardena for instance there's only one spot at Graba and we've seen Vans moved on elsewhere in the valley (protecting the hotels!).

Italian driving is quite fun, just stay cool give them a little bit of extra room, then use the horn as they do! Quite amusing descending some passes when italian sunday drivers on holiday don't know how wide their cars are. have also been faced with a car reversing on the autostrada when they'd missed their junction and no hard shoulder but 4 lanes of traffic going our way. Thats why the lorry infront of me swerved!

Once away from the bigger cities it all seems quite calm.

Campsites are often cramped in high season, vans and campers close together, no 20 ft rule here! Pick up a few words of italian for the important things and get away from the crowds and its a wonderful country

alan

Archived