pocket surfer

jes

I looked at this at the NEC and had a demonstration. It proved to be chronically slow, my laptop with my mobile phone as a modem and a half strength signal loaded my websites front page in 25 seconds the pocketsurfer still hadn't completed it after well over a minute. The screen is too small at 640X240 (aproximately 5" X 2") and the keyboard is absolutely terrible. If you need mobile internet access and own a laptop and mobile phone then use them instead of this. At £180 its about five years too late in my opinion.

Here's a link to the unit.

http://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_detail.aspx?prod=POCKETSURFER&id=1005

D.

Thanks for that Dave. I said on another forum that I'd like to see the thing in action before parting with 180 quid. I too use a mobile phone with laptop or PDA when travelling so it's nice to know how it compares.

Graham

The one I saw at NEC was a lot quicker to load, although the demonstrator did say that it depended on how long the gadget had been on battery power.

I don't see these as an alternative to a laptop, after all it's called a Pocket surfer because it's intended for carrying around on a more permanent basis.

Hi All,

It should be remembered that when comparing to a laptop and mobile phone the pocket surfer is FREE to use for up to 20 hours per month and costs £5.95/ month for unlimited usage. Subsequent years cost £39.95/ year for the standard use package.

Also, as always, RoadPro charge maximum price and it is available on the net for less.

Bas

PS Also the manufacturer quotes 7secs per page download on normal strength signal, which suggests something was wrong at the NEC or the manufacturer is breaking some advertising standard!

I bought one a couple of months ago and find that it's ideal when away for receiving/sending e-mails and checking news/weather sites etc.

Generally pages download between 5 and 10 seconds.

I take Daves point about the keyboard, but it's best if you type similar to how you would send a text on a mobile phone, ie, type with your thumbs, sounds weird but it's easy with a bit of practice. 

I agree-bought one a few weeks ago and it is excellent for my requirements and the pricing deal is very good. Typing with the thumbs is definitely the way to go and becomes very easy. There are some bugs in the system which I have raised with Datawind (the manufacturer). They assure me that these are known problems and solutions are coming soon.

Thanks for the info

also found this while searching, looks like a discount to me

"Nonetheless, I appreciate that we need to be competitive. So, for all you lovely MHF people only, if you order a POCKETSURFER from us (until November 10th) on-line, we'll send you a £25.00 RoadPro voucher for use with a future order. Just mention this offer in the order comments field at the checkout.

I wonder if it would work for others or is this some sort of clever marketing by road pro to enhance other forums memberships.

Does not the mmm have special offers from road pro, come on mmm we are being left behind

Hi (lol)

I had a long chat with the guys at the NEC who told me that it will work abroad on expensive roaming rates because it works like a mobile phone. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive so can't say any more. It will work anywhere you can get a Mobile phone signal! To me it's better than setting up the laptop to do the same and it also just fits in your pocket.

Apparently they are made by the same firm who made PSION gadgets

regards

richard :->

richardoakley - 2007-10-27 4:57 PM

Hi (lol)

I had a long chat with the guys at the NEC who told me that it will work abroad on expensive roaming rates because it works like a mobile phone. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive so can't say any more. It will work anywhere you can get a Mobile phone signal! To me it's better than setting up the laptop to do the same and it also just fits in your pocket.

Apparently they are made by the same firm who made PSION gadgets

regards

richard :->

Now that last point is very interesting Richard. I've had a PSION organiser for years and wouldn't do without it. It's beautifully designed and the software is superb. Do I take it that the surfer also has "organiser" capabilities?

Vernon

Hi :-D

I do not know any more than I have written which was gleaned fron the chaps at the show the only other thing was that they said that the firm was Canadian. I must admit I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one because it will answer my E-mail problems and I will not be tempted to eat too many Macs!! see http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/communications/other/free-mobile-internet

and http://www.pocketsurfer.co.uk/htm/News%20Letter.htm

regards

richard (lol)

I don't believe that the Psion comment is accurate, i.e. made by, however the man who was the CEO of Psion and still owns the Widget Company has just been made the European CEO for Datawind Europe.

The pocket surfer 2 has no PDA facilities and is only a web browser, therefore you can get e-mail via web based accounts and surf but the tool has no other use.

I very much like the gadget and would get one tomorrow but for one thing. The whole working of the machine rests on Datawinds (who??) servers and the machine has no life with no Datawind it cannot be used to surf without connecting through Datawind. The press has made comment and Datawind has not yet convinced the business world that their model of free, followed by low cost GPRS connection, is sustainable and indeed will only be successful if the user take up is high volume which in turn could cause traffic problems via their server.

Hate to be a harbinger of doom but I have bought into enough lame ducks in the past, however I really do hope this is a success as I really like the concept and low cost and would like one.

Bas

Archived