DRIVING LICENCE & TOWING WITH A MOTORHOME

WILNOD

I will be 73 in December this year, my Driving Licence shows categories B and BE (this licence is due for renewal on my birthday) .What Category do I require to enable me to tow a Peugeot 107 behind my Autocruise Stardream.

I am aware from correspondence, phone calls and e-mails with the DVLA that I will need a medical (done this week) and I think I need a category C1 + E. It is this latter point that am still not certain about.

Can anyone corfirm what category I need on my licence.

BE (or B+E) is fine. This allows you to drive a vehicle up to 3500Kgs MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) or GVW as shown on the vehicle plate and to tow any weight of trailer, subject only to common sense. I believe the Caravan Club recommend that the actual weight of the trailer should not exceed 85% of the towing vehicle's unladen weight and this seems very sensible.

You are also limited to a maximum train weight as displayed on the motorhome's plate. This has nothing to do with driving licences but is a Construction and Use limitation. The sum of the ACTUAL weights of motorhome and trailer must not exceed the maximum train weight.

None of this should be taken as implying that towing a car is legal - it isn't.

Mel E

====

Archived