A Clandestine request

Geoff Bell

Can somebody help me, I'm Geoffs wife and I've just worked out how to work this forum (He left it on) He spends hours days and weeks even months working out places to go ,routes looking at sites and planning trips away and sometimes quite frankly there not as good as they could be,if you know what I mean. But dare I critisize. So I thought there must be a book I can buy him for Christmas that will have pre-planned long and short breaks detailing routes, sites and places to overnite complete with places of interest and tips on where to park up in the local towns. Not forgetting places to avoid.

All you guys have a wealth of knowledge, somebody must have written a book. I need to know. We like travelling in England and France mainly but are quite happy to venture further.

Any books please reply and if you know publishers or where I can buy them I will be very grateful.

I will just have to take a chance hoping he won't read this and spoil the surprize.

I don't know of books of routes but I would recommend Alan Rogers books of sites. We have used them all over the continent, but mainly in France, and I have always found their descriptions are accurate.

We usually buy the books at shows but they do have a website. No doubt local book shops can order if they are not in stock.

The book on France includes sites from municipal to four star.

Not a book, but the 'out and about' magazine usually has articles on trips. as does the caravan club magazine if your a member.

how about a subscription to out and about, assuming you don't already buy it.

I typed motorhome into amazon books and there are a few detailing peoples trips, but they do seem to be longer ones e.g a year around europe.

Another useful source are peoples blogs of their travels.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ralphdot/index.htm

http://www.caravantravels.co.uk/

Jules

Can't remember the name of the publication and it's too wet to go outside and get it from the van (sorry) but a couple of years ago I bought a book which detailed routes around France which could be done in 3, 5 days etc depending on your whims and desires. I bought it from Waterstones, in their foreign travel section.

Whenever I plan to visit a another country. I buy an Eye Witness Travel guide. The guides are a wealth of information regarding places to visit and will ensure that you won't miss a few "gems" on your travels.

Any good book shop will stock them..... £14.99.

PS

Naturally, the title of the thread will ensure that he has a "butchers".

Well, Mrs Bell (or Geoffess, if you prefer) what you didn't say was what aspects of the trips you don't feel come up to scratch.  Is it the places you visit, the countries, the sites/aires or what? 

My suggestion, for what it is worth, would be to take a more active role in the planning yourself.  If you do that, you will be able to influence the choices, so you'll either get more of what you'd prefer, or share responsibility for the duffers.

If the sites are duff, try the Caravan Club "Caravan Europe" books.  The sites are described by users, not inspectors so, once you learn to read between the lines, you do get quite a good feel for them most of the time.  In response to the suggestion of Alan Rogers guides, I can only say my own experience has been very variable and accordingly I have ceased using them.

If the countries are duff, you definately need to get involved!  We have found the Rough guides very good for general impressions, but tend to use the Michelin Green Guide as well for the detail.  However, the latest series Green guides have been seriously "dumbed down" so they have lost much of the value of earlier versions.

If the aires are duff, remember thay are mostly glorified car parks, so consider using camp sites for more comfort and improved ambience.

Does he want a book with it all set out for him?  I doubt it!  I suspect the lion's share of the pleasure lies in the planning challenge, which the book would either negate if used or, more probably, cause a hurt outburst on receipt because of the implied criticism of his efforts to date.

At the risk of seeming impertinent, why not just talk to Geoff, and dare to gently comment (constructively of course) and add suggestions rather than to criticise?  Criticism is seldom welcomed, but positive alternative suggestions, gently and sensitively expressed, must surely be taken on board without causing terminal hostilities?  :-)

The sheep gave it away, the secrets out, but loads of useful info,thanks Malc, Jackie the Go motorhoming is probably the book I will get him,thanks Shaun, Julie the caravantravels was very interesting to read, Thanks Irene I would be interested in the name of that book when it stops raining. Thanks Robert isn't it great living in the 9th best town in the UK (Official) 2nd last year. Thanks Brian the trips really arn't that bad but I take your point and will get more involved.

Archived