Spare tyres.

Martyn Ward.

No Missus, not the one above your hubby's belt :D

I've recently put new tyres on the Swift. I've changed the rears and the spare which were all the originals, the 'van being 8 and 1/2 years old :$ .

The new ones have gone on the front and the fronts have gone to the rear (are you still with me at the back 8-) and the spare is a new.

The original spare has never been used and has resided under the 'van all its' life, venturing out just three times if my fading memory serves me correctly.

Question: Being a bit of a "Boy Scout be prepared" type, is it worth getting hold of a rim and keeping said tyre as a "spare-spare"? While I appreciate that my life is priceless, or so She Who Must Be Ignored keeps telling me whilst smiling wryly 8-) , I hate throwing things away that have never been used.

Thanks all.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn, The previous owner of my 'van put a new tyre on the O.S.F. and the unused spare onto the N.S.F. The dealer who was selling it for her delivered it to my house about 150 miles, and arrived with the tread breaking away from the tyre in big hard chunks. My tyre-man who fitted a new tyre said it was age that caused the problem not U V Rays from the sun. So it may not be a good idea to keep the old spare.

Guest Tracker

All tyres carry a manufacture date on them and I personally would not use a tyre more than 5 years old - and especially not for long runs in hot climes.

Not only that but I would only ever buy recognised top quality branded tyres, having a preference for Michelin or Dunlop (part of the same company now!).

I have yet to experience a blow out on a van but I have seen the aftermath and after experiencing a puncture on a very busy M6 some years ago it made me realise that changing a van wheel on the motorway hard shoulder in the dark in the rain was not somewhere I really wanted to be!

What price safety and peace of mind?

Guest Tracker

With the proviso that buying two tyre at a time is more wallet friendly than buying four?

That said it would probably take longer than five years to wear out a pair of rear tyres so we may well be safer changing all four in one go?

Martyn Ward. - 2007-10-26 6:44 PM

No Missus, not the one above your hubby's belt :D

I've recently put new tyres on the Swift. I've changed the rears and the spare which were all the originals, the 'van being 8 and 1/2 years old :$ .

The new ones have gone on the front and the fronts have gone to the rear (are you still with me at the back 8-) and the spare is a new.

The original spare has never been used and has resided under the 'van all its' life, venturing out just three times if my fading memory serves me correctly.

Question: Being a bit of a "Boy Scout be prepared" type, is it worth getting hold of a rim and keeping said tyre as a "spare-spare"? While I appreciate that my life is priceless, or so She Who Must Be Ignored keeps telling me whilst smiling wryly 8-) , I hate throwing things away that have never been used.

Thanks all.

Martyn.

In a word Martyn, NO! It is not worth keeping the tyre as a "spare-spare". You've only used the existing spare three times so how often do you think you'll need to use the "spare-spare" and how old is it likely to be if you ever do need it?

Bin it, its had its chance to be useful.

D.

After rereading martin's post I am adding the following

This is my view on replacing tyres.

Usualy from new a fwd vehicle will wear out front tyres first, when replacing these I move the rears to the front and put new tyres on rear, there are two reasons I do this, firstly its usualy better to not have rears lock up under haevy braking, secondly you don't end up with an acient set of rears, if I can get the spare used on rear and put part worn front as spare (only getting one new tyre) so much the better, and on subsiquent changes I put least worn front as spare.

colin - 2007-10-27 7:46 PM

After rereading martin's post I am adding the following

This is my view on replacing tyres.

Usualy from new a fwd vehicle will wear out front tyres first, when replacing these I move the rears to the front and put new tyres on rear, there are two reasons I do this, firstly its usualy better to not have rears lock up under haevy braking, secondly you don't end up with an acient set of rears, if I can get the spare used on rear and put part worn front as spare (only getting one new tyre) so much the better, and on subsiquent changes I put least worn front as spare.

Colin,

I've just replaced all four tyres on my 4 year old Timberland after nearly 50,000 miles they had worn evenly all round.

I've never swapped the tyres around on any of my motorhomes, never found the need for it.

Don

Its a minefield this one.

I should have said, if I could safely use spare, I would not advocate using say a 5 year old spare with brand new on rear axle.

A current example is my Suzi, it requires the first tyre replacements on front, the rears are 1/3 worn these will be put on front, the best of worn fronts will be spare and the 18month old spare and new tyre will be put on rear. At next change, in 18 months?, (if I keep it), rears go to front, best front goes to spare and worst front and spare are replaced and put on rear. I should also say that I usualy replace my tyres well before they reach the legal minimum, having had a couple of scares in my cash strapped youth I'm now a great believer in qualitity tyres with plenty of tread

Don Madge - 2007-10-27 10:23 PM

I've just replaced all four tyres on my 4 year old Timberland after nearly 50,000 miles they had worn evenly all round.

I've never swapped the tyres around on any of my motorhomes, never found the need for it.

Don

Trouble is Don you are just treating your van too lightly, may I sugest the following.

1- When leaving trafic lights, always try to lay down 10 yrds of rubber.

2- If you have ABS always ensure it is working, if brake pedal is not vibrating try braking harder.

3- Always corner fast enough to ensure understeer, and if possible lift a rear wheel.

With the above advice you should be able to wear front tyres first and also ensure you change all tyre more frequently. :D :D :D

colin - 2007-10-28 12:09 PM

Don Madge - 2007-10-27 10:23 PM

Don

Trouble is Don you are just treating your van too lightly, may I sugest the following.

1- When leaving trafic lights, always try to lay down 10 yrds of rubber.

2- If you have ABS always ensure it is working, if brake pedal is not vibrating try braking harder.

3- Always corner fast enough to ensure understeer, and if possible lift a rear wheel.

With the above advice you should be able to wear front tyres first and also ensure you change all tyre more frequently. :D :D :D

Colin,

I've been trying to do that for the 55 years but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. :$ :$

My 24 year old grand daughter has been giving me some tips but I still can't crack it. :$

I'll have to reset the "Speed Limiter" to 45 instead of 40mph, that might help. :-D :-D

Don

In my younger, cash strapped days I would replace one tyre at a time as and if required. Now I replace tyres in pairs. Not just because I can afford to but because I don't want different aged (and probably different manufacturers) tyres on the same axle. My life, and those of my loved ones who travel with me, are worth a lot more than the cost of a tyre.

D.

Guest Tracker

Me too Dave.

I might moan a bit (all right then, moan a lot, at the cost) but our lives and my peace of mind are worth far more than the cost of a tyre or two.

Archived