Battery Guard

Guest peter

WHilst not techo-minded, I cannot see how this will reduce battery drain whilst parked from the likes of any fitted alarms, or whatever current is still used by other equipment even when not running?

When we had a Compass Motorhome (Turbo Deisel 1993) and after about 3 weeks the battery would 'die', I had a battery mate/battery Master fitted which when hooked up to mains ensured a charge to both batteries, and this resolved the problem at the time.

WE are shortly moving to a property where I cannot keep the new motorhome, and it will therfore be on a storage site, where I do not think mains hook-up will be possible - certainly not on a regular basis.

I have the current battery Mate/Master fitted, but wonder whether if left for periods this will not be suffieficent to keep the vehicel battery charged up enough to start the engine. I've seen solar chargers which really sit on the dashboard and plug into the lighter socket and which claim to keep enough charge to overcome this problem. There was one recently at Maplins for about £9.99. (in fact still currently shown on their website)......Anyone with any experience of them - and would that compromise the batteryMate/Master?

There was one recently at Maplins for about £9.99. (in fact still currently shown on their website)......Anyone with any experience of them - and would that compromise the batteryMate/Master?

Waste of time, I have done some calculations and you would be lucky to get 2 Ah a month out of it. This is way less than the self discharge of a typical car battery let alone any equipment drawing standby power. To me the best option if you are laying up for extended periods is just to disconnect your battery, but of course this disconnects any alarms fitted.

The problem I have with the Battery Master is it does not disconnect automatically until you are down to 12.1 volts. Below approx 12.5 volts the battery sulphates and deteriorates.

Jon.

Archived