Radar Detectors

Randonneur

I have been reading earlier posts about radar detectors being illegal here in France. They are selling like crazy at the big supermarkets and I have been trying to find out if these are NOW legal.

We were coming back from the UK early September and my husband was driving, he very rarely exceeds the limits, but when we arrived home there was a speeding fine awaiting us. It stated that he was doing over 70 KH in a 50 KH zone, as we had our satnav on with the cameras detected and knowing that he is a very careful driver we were amazed and the only thing that we can think of is that it was a roadworks speed limit. Anyway, rather than argue we paid the 90 euros. I have since found out that I cannot download up to date speed camera alerts on my Mio 268+ with MioMap V3 which is very frustrating.

Has anyone any updated information that I can call upon?

Whether legal or not, radar detectors don't work with the latest types of speed camera.

There is therefore a significant danger in relying on them. I assume that, since the French are fairly recent recruits to the joys of speed cameras, they may well have more of ther non-radar type.

Mel E

====

Archived