Sprinter mirror

Lee1st

Hi All,

Wanted to see what the panel(?) felt about a situation that has arisen for me.

I have a Geist motorhome based on a Mercedes Sprinter 316cdi chassis. I bought it at 18 months old and soon found that the ratchet system for the driver's mirror had stopped working so that, while driving, the mirror slowly blew towards the door necessitating opening the window every ten minute to replace to a position where I could see out of it again. No problem, I thought, it's still under Mercedes warranty. Took it to a Mercedes service area, needless to say "they weren't sure that it'd be covered", but in the end they replaced it, no charge and I was pleased with the situation.

8 months later, the vehicle is now out of Mercedes warranty and the same thing has happened to the mirror. They say there will be a charge for the work if I have it carried out and that warranty repairs don't benefit from a 12 month cover.

Is this right/fair. Do you all feel that I should "argue the toss" here or am I being unreasonable and should just cough up to get it sorted (possibly an annual event it would seem)

Your thoughts would be appreciated,

Disgruntled,

Lee >:-( >:-(

Hi Lee,

I'm no expert in this area but my understanding of a warranty is that any replacements under that warranty is only until the end of that warranty irrespective of the time and any agreement to replace it again under the warranty is at their discression. However I believe that you may have recourse under the Sale of Goods Act (this is outside my practical knowledge but what I believe to be correct) which states goods must be 'of merchantable quality' and 'fit for purpose' so if you can't prove the first bit you surely can the second.

Soneone with more knowledge on the law should be able to help here.

Bas

Guest Tracker
I would be inclined to talk to Trading Standards and if they feel that you have a good case a bit of name dropping at the dealership might help?

Archived