Dave Newall's Satnav

Vernon B

I missed this original post but caught it in this month's MMM. Do I take it that the latest Satnav's might not give you driving speed, distance travelled etc?

I've a first generation Garmin Steetpilot with no voice directions but a whole raft of useful stats including max speed, av speed, driving time, stopped time and altitude (very useful if you're trying to escape flooding in the Rhone area).

The Steetpilot has got me out of a lot of problems and kept the marriage on the road over the last 7 years. But sadly the mapping is getting out of date particularly in Spain and Garmin don't offer updates on this model. So I'll be looking around for a new model.

I'm not looking for a complete run down on the pro's and con's of the current offerings but if there's a Satnav anorak out there who can tell me if I'll have to forgo these features when I trade up I'd appreciate it?

Guest JudgeMental

you will miss the ability to plan and download routes to GPS unit as none of these new types seem to offer this facility, while the earlier Garmin, units did.

I have the 2610 and was thinking of the garmin Zumo as I believe this still allows PC mapping - but is expensive as primarily designed for bikes....

The new TomTom's allow downloadable upgrades as well as you being able to upload changes and errors for correction and download other peoples verified alterations. This seems to be the one to go for now as it should make the mapping the most up to date.

Bas

Vernon B - 2007-10-27 5:16 PM

I missed this original post but caught it in this month's MMM. Do I take it that the latest Satnav's might not give you driving speed, distance travelled etc?

I've a first generation Garmin Steetpilot with no voice directions but a whole raft of useful stats including max speed, av speed, driving time, stopped time and altitude (very useful if you're trying to escape flooding in the Rhone area).

The Steetpilot has got me out of a lot of problems and kept the marriage on the road over the last 7 years. But sadly the mapping is getting out of date particularly in Spain and Garmin don't offer updates on this model. So I'll be looking around for a new model.

I'm not looking for a complete run down on the pro's and con's of the current offerings but if there's a Satnav anorak out there who can tell me if I'll have to forgo these features when I trade up I'd appreciate it?

"The Steetpilot has got me out of a lot of problems and kept the marriage on the road over the last 7 years."

Jeez Vernon - what an amazing piece of kit!

So it can both lie for you when you come home late and drunk, and your wife can use it as a sex-aid too??

Fantastic! They really should advertise these hidden features more heavily.

:-D

I couldnt find a mug to buy my aging Pilot 3 so I mounted it on my motorbike.It is a bit slow to reroute if I miss a turn I admit but is much better than having to keep refering to a map especialy if its pouring with rain.Ive bought the Garmin Nuvi 660 for the M/H ,touch screen is so easy to set up & much smaller to slip in my shirt pocket when I leave the van.I reckon the pilot really give too much info for most of the journeys we make.

Hi Vernon, to reply to your actual question, I don't know if any of the current portable devices offer the trip computer features you've mentioned. I still have the VDO built in unit (although I usually use it as a portable powered from the cigarette socket) and use it occasionally like when we went to Dussledorf because my newer portable (AytoBe from Maplin £100 with UK and ROI mapping, Western Europe is now availabe on SD card for £70) unit does not currently have the European mapping. The AytoBe doesn't have the trip computer functions you are looking for though.

D.

Lidl have the Becker coming on 1st and seems pretty good but I am not impressed with latest garmin - many unfavourable comments on web but Tom-Tom are'nt perfect either but have best maps and facilities. Sony look good bur latest are recalled at moment because ETA screwed up. Will probably wait until nearer the next long trip before getting another.

davenewell@home - 2007-10-28 3:55 PM

But do any of these have trip computer functions? That was what Vernon was looking for.

D.

Thanks for the comments and "assistance" Dave. The thing is this forum's a bit like a Satnav system - it often goes down a dead end but eventually takes you where you want to go!

PS The mods to the reversing lights work a treat.

V

Hi Vernon

Cannot help you with standalone sat nav devices, but I run Tom Tom 6 on a PDA and that gives me Distance Traveled, Distance to go, and ETA.

As I understand the software is the same on TomTom standalone devices I would assume they offered the same features.

Doug

Slight digression but I can't help every time I read the 'title' of this posting thinking that Dave has produced a Sat Nav ... can you imagine his deep voice barking out the commands ... and if you don't do as you're told, instead of 'turn around' etc, the insults and swearing that would follow ... oh, and the name calling of muppets on the road ... (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Sorry Dave ... but I have been in a motorhome whilst you've been driving and some of the 'comments' have been very choice indeed! :D

Report on Nuvi 360T cut short must have hit the wrong button or wrote too much. Cont.. Nuvi - points; not as flexible as my 2620 cannot download routes, I do like to plan my routes for abroad on the pc at home so I'm in control. I can see why my 2620 cost over double the nuvi.

I've used sat navs now for over 6yrs (when collegues in the bike club used to give me stick but they all have them now!) and although the nuvi is quite new to me and I've not used it extensively yet I am very immpressed with it and can recomend it. (lol)

1st half of message:

Now I've looked on the forum the 1st half of my message has dissapeared goodness knows where, any the gist: I have a Garmin 2620 (bulky no inbuilt batteries) its in for repair at Garmin locked up (fixed £145 charge and they replace it, 6wks is the estimate as this model is no longer available) Anyway just bought a new nuvi 360T has all the trip info you require, the routing page is limited with info (arrival time and distance to next turn, all othe info is on the next page) speed cameras built in with free updates for 30days then £30.yr bluetooth can dial out with voice and a quick phone home button, includes traffic though not tried this out yet. annouces street namse as well as turns and if you receive a text will read it out to you. (dependent on phone of course). Son has a top range Tom Tom it has more menus than the nuvi but it's bulky.

nuvi + points: small, very quick routing/rerouting, clear mapping and speech, very easy to use. excellent touch screen warns of speed camers and shows speed limit also warns if you are exceeding the limit. (Better halfs comment "dont speed - no problems")

Alan

Mel B - 2007-10-30 7:44 PM

Slight digression but I can't help every time I read the 'title' of this posting thinking that Dave has produced a Sat Nav ... can you imagine his deep voice barking out the commands ... and if you don't do as you're told, instead of 'turn around' etc, the insults and swearing that would follow ... oh, and the name calling of muppets on the road ... (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Sorry Dave ... but I have been in a motorhome whilst you've been driving and some of the 'comments' have been very choice indeed! :D

Cheers Mel, I could record a set of voixce instructions for your sat nav if you like but you ought to know its Dex does the barking not me :D .

As for the muppets on the road, you were there and saw them too, you just couldn't get a word in with me berating them :D :D

D.

Archived