Leisure Batteries

michele

Our Leisure Battery is only one & a half years old (Obviously we dont know how long it stood around for at the dealers).

Anyway it behaved perfectly last week in Brugge and most of the time in France until Wednesday night and that was it 13.1 good dropping instantly to 10.6 bad . We never use it much as we tend to plug in .

Do you think that we need a new one or would we get away with topping it up ? If we do need a new one how much are they ?.

The last night we stayed at the Aire in Calais Docks we were in bed by 9.20 we run the engine but for some unknown reason it did no good .

I thought that they lasted alot longer than this :-(

Maybe its a case of if you don't use it you loose it (?) What ever the problem we need to get it rectified ASAP.

Hi Michele, there are two possibilities here in my opinion.

1/ By continuously using hookups your leisure battery has been overcharged and run somewhat dry. you could try topping up the electrolyte although I doubt if it will bring it back fully.

2/ Your split charge fuse has blown or more likely the charging fuse at the battery (if there is a separate one) has blown menaing your battery is not being charged form any source.

Whichever is the case I'd suggest you check all fuses and check/top up the battery first. If it comes back to life and gives a decent amount of use then you're ok. If not then you'll need a new battery. Probably not covered by your warranty if you've not kept up with the maintenance requirements.

D.

Hi Dave ,

Books all fully stamped and up todate . Full service history available I think we will do as you suggest and check all fuses and top up lets see what that does . Failing that I suspect its cheaper all round if we just buy one even if it is covered the all round trip up to Brownhills would cost us far more I suspect than just popping out and getting one.

Thanks

Guest Tracker

Gotta be worth a phone call to Brownhills surely?

If it is duff maybe they will cover the cost of a new one bought locally, as long as this can be confirmed by a local auto electrician or caravan repairer who might also be happy to supply the new battery for you in return for their expertise?

You might also like to consider whether it has enough capacity too, as there may never be a better time to upgrade?

Guest Tracker

Not sure Michele but a 130ah might fit in the same hole - depends where it is and how it is fitted?

Might be worth a measure up before buying?

Hi Champstar,

I always check the electrolyte level each month, make sure the electrolyte covers the plates, there is usually a level indicator just above the plates, top up with distilled water so the indicator is just covered.

I find my batteries take up to 500 ml each per year, need topping up especially during the summer (solar panel fitted), and particularly if you keep the charger switched on whilest at home or on site.

I usually run off the battery during daylight hours and switch on the charger at sundown when using the TV etc.. off of 12 volts.

Regards Terry

fred22 - 2007-10-28 10:05 PM

Hi, purchased a new 110 at Brownhills in Cannock last week, cheapest around here at £52.99 with a two year warranty.

Well if you got a 2 year waranty mines can't of run out then ?

My vehicle is a year and a half old now . Still long journey to Newark cheaper to buy one . can anyone tell me if it actually is worth topping now that its kapoot ????????????????????????????

Guest Tracker
michele - 2007-10-30 7:51 PM

Well if you got a 2 year waranty mines can't of run out then ?

My vehicle is a year and a half old now . Still long journey to Newark cheaper to buy one . can anyone tell me if it actually is worth topping now that its kapoot ????????????????????????????

Told ya so - yaboo - I wuz right ahter all.

Hi Michele,

If you'd like to lose some size and weight - the batteries of course! You might like to look at Elecsol Carbon Fibre batteries. They are a bit dearer so worth shopping around on the net but for a given capacity they are much lighter and smaller than any others I have found. See www.Elecsol.com.

Bob

Guest Tracker
But with respect Robert why lose weight if it costs more and the van carries the weight anyway - unless you can get two batteries into the space occupied by one?

Tracker,

Yes, size was very much an issue with my Knaus. With the Elecsol, two fitted neatly into the under floor storage drawer whereas 2 ordinary ones were far too big. Also, thanks to this forum, as a relative newcomer, I am very mindful of weight so wherever I can reduce fixed equipment weight to gain payload, I do. For example I fitted a single large MTH refillable gas cylinder and gained sevral kilos extra payload and a half a storage locker.

Bob

Guest Tracker

Fair enough then it makes good sense.

We are fortunate enough to have payload to spare in our Tracker - unless the weighbridge at Brecon is kaput - so weight matters little and the two 130ah conventional batteries sit happily together!

Hi Michele,

The Elecsol Carbon Fibre model I have is the 100ah and it's 277x175x190 mm and weighs just 19.6 Kgs. The manufacturer makes impressive claims as to the deep cycle punishment their batteries can take.

I noted that there is also a 110ah in the range but its a lot bigger at 352x175x190 and 25.2Kg. The 125 and 220 ah models are bigger still but I think they are all smaller and lighter than conventional wet batteries of comparable capacity.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I am finally getting to the bottom of my trouble with the help of Derek Uzzel . Looks like we do not need another one at present .

At the moment it is now unplugged on the drive and we are seeing how much it drops by . Fingers crossed .

Thank you everyone for the help appreciated.

one question how often should you top up with the water stuff.

Archived