2008 AUTOTRAIL MODELS

Wills Wagon

To our great disappointment the very useful shallow cupboard shelf below the two shelf wall lockers has been done away with. An Autotrail factory man said most people didnt want them but for us they were brilliant and stored lots and lots of bits and pieces that were easy to find. I have written to AutoTrail but would be interested in Forum members reaction?

Guest Le Thou

Hi Wills

we are now on our 2nd Autotrail and to be honest the shelf you are referring to was in my opinion a rubbish collector, and everything used to slide around in them and also it made the van look untidy,

You did ask.

Anthony H

Hi Wills,

On our third Autotrail (Cheyenne 634) and like you think the small lockers are brilliant (maybe I like lots of junk around!). We were disappointed on ordering a new Cheyenne 630 that they had been omitted. The space is still there though, so a low shelf just allowing access with the locker door open should provide adequate junk, literature etc storage. More disappointing though is the omission of the low level fog/driving lights, particularly since the new Ducato headlights are much higher. I've only had reason to use these low level lights on a few occasions but every time they were a godsend.

Other niggle is the use of dark laminate for the worktops; this coupled with the salubrious wood panelling makes the inside a little bit dark.

No doubt the contributors to the "Why buy new?" thread will be asking why the heck we're buying it then. Simply because we still think it best suits our needs and nothing in this world's perfect; only nearly!

Mike P

We took delivery of our new Dakota on 1st September this year and were also surprised the low level fog lights were "missing". We checked the same model at the NEC show this month and they were on that one. When we asked the Autotrail rep. about it he explained that as Fiat were only supplying the base vehicles including cruise control (which Autotrail has had to absorbe the cost of...) they had decided not to fit the "extra" lights (presumably a cost cutting exercise but IMHO a tad "mean" on a £50k + vehicle!) :-( especially as they were in the spec when the order was placed at the beginning of the year *-)

Yes we were VERY surprised when we saw our new motorhome recently (only collect it this Fri though).

It had changed quite a bit from when we placed our order at the NEC in Feb this year.

We like the cupboards under the lockers as they had a flap to close and keep contents safe and not just a shelf where things can fall out when travelling.

So we are VERY disappointed about this! However we do realise that the actual space is still there but not as accessible if you have the locker full on the shelf above.

We also saw a large underneath storage area midships so to speak and that has disappeared!!! All there is now is a space for the leisure batteries and that is another concern. On my current Cheyenne 660 the batteries are protected in the nearside locker (also inset in this locker) so cold weather won't affect them. BUT now they will be VERY prone to the cold/freezing weather!!! A step backwards I think. I suppose we should be grateful they haven't sited them RIGHT at the rear end as in the past where the voltage drop was great due to the distance from the charging unit.

Some changes we did like and we still like this layout but not making adequate provision for viewing TV in the lounge section is bad in my opinion. Looks like we will have to have the tv at the foot of the fixed bed!!! We don't like to watch tv here and the flip down tv at the front is a bit small and i have heard not particularly good, although I have yet to try this out. I would much prefer to be able to watch my 15" flat screen tv in the lounge!

Trouble is the manufacturer is allowed to change the specification but you are given NO WARNING that yours will change!! Especially after seeing the van you want and then receive something different.

zulurita - 2007-10-31 11:44 AM I would much prefer to be able to watch my 15" flat screen tv in the lounge! Trouble is the manufacturer is allowed to change the specification but you are given NO WARNING that yours will change!! Especially after seeing the van you want and then receive something different.

We have put our TV in our Miami on the wall by the door as you go in. Much better than watching the one in the front and more comfortable. I brought the wires through from the bedroom area. Although this is mains only we can still use the TV in the front if only on 12 volt.

I won't order at shows and will only buy the MH I see. Would rather travel a distance to find what I want than wait for delivery from the manufacturer and then get a vehicle that is not quite what I ordered. never had the lower shelves but see that they could be useful.

Hi Zulurita - great that you are about to pick up your new van - always a great feeling! :-D A note on the new positioning of the leisure batteries - in our van last year we had a problem when the battery was on charge, "boiled" and filled the van with toxic fumes - long story, but had to return the van, due to the extensive damage. We were really pleased to see that ours are now in an "outside locker" on the new van (different model) but hadn't thought about the cold effect - will ask husband to check re insulation - thanks for pointing that out. Enjoy your new motorhome - we were Italy within 4 days of collecting ours - brilliant.... B-)

catinou - 2007-10-31 11:18 AM

We took delivery of our new Dakota on 1st September this year and were also surprised the low level fog lights were "missing". We checked the same model at the NEC show this month and they were on that one. When we asked the Autotrail rep. about it he explained that as Fiat were only supplying the base vehicles including cruise control (which Autotrail has had to absorbe the cost of...) they had decided not to fit the "extra" lights (presumably a cost cutting exercise but IMHO a tad "mean" on a £50k + vehicle!) :-( especially as they were in the spec when the order was placed at the beginning of the year *-)

Mmmm.... But didn't Autotrail put the price up as well!

Mike P

Guest Tracker

I can think of several good reasons not to buy a van on advance order and this thread only serves to reinforce my view that I would never do this no matter how tempting the deal at a show may seem to be.

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware is as relevant now as when the Romans first coined the phrase!

Little old cynical me reckons that if I can't see it, feel it, try it, drive it, before parting with my hard earned - then I do not want to part with said hard earned!

Archived