Solar Panels/Reversing Cameras

Paul M

Nice to be back on line with brilliant forum and thanks the administrator for helping me one computor dumb head out!!! :-D :-D :-D

Solar Panels. I am thinking of buying a solar panel, but not sure what size I need. I have two 90a batteries and use all the fancy bits e.g satilite tv etc in my Rapido 7087F. we like to camp wild as much as possible and like all the creature comforts. If I use say a 100w panel can get rid of one of my batteries.

Reversing Cameras. Also thinking of buying a revering camera. What should I look for? angles,night time viewing etc etc. One thing I am concerned about is that we always carry two cycles on the back, will the the camera see over/through them safely. Or should I go for reversing sensors.

Thanks everybody

Paul ;-) ;-) ;-)

Hi Paul and welcome, This whole business of Solar panels etc. depends on the type of camping you do, If you are on the move most days you will not need one as your van will keep your batteries charged, But if you stay in one place for any time, yes they are good, but don't do away with a battery, You cant rely on a solar panel to drive assessories direct, you use them in conjunction with the batteries, and unless you are really pushed for wieght problems, keep as much reserve power as you can.

Reversing camera. keep it above or below your bikes so as not to obstruct vision and so that you do not hit it when mounting the bikes on your rack.

Happy camping. Trev.

Paul M - 2007-10-29 9:17 PM Nice to be back on line with brilliant forum and thanks the administrator for helping me one computor dumb head out!!! :-D :-D :-D Solar Panels. I am thinking of buying a solar panel, but not sure what size I need. I have two 90a batteries and use all the fancy bits e.g satilite tv etc in my Rapido 7087F. we like to camp wild as much as possible and like all the creature comforts. If I use say a 100w panel can get rid of one of my batteries. Reversing Cameras. Also thinking of buying a revering camera. What should I look for? angles,night time viewing etc etc. One thing I am concerned about is that we always carry two cycles on the back, will the the camera see over/through them safely. Or should I go for reversing sensors. Thanks everybody Paul ;-) ;-) ;-)

Hi Paul

Can't say anything about solar panels as we've not gone down this path yet. Others on thgis forum will be able to give you more advice.

However re the reversing camera, we've had one fitted, which is both colour and has sound should her who must be obeyed be out giving directions.!!

It's mounted rather high up so gives a "bird's eye" view when we reverse. Also verey handy as I leave it on, so I can see who is travelling close to me.

Hope this info helps

Thai

Agree with Brian, Cameras are far to usefull to be only used for reversing. Ours too is high mounted on a bar poking out over the top of the van and very handy for reversing the trailer as well.

Look at http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/REAR%20VIEW%20CAMERA.htm

for details on ours.

Solar Panels. I love them. However it very much depends on your style of camper as well as your style of camping.

For instance if you do a lot of non hookup camping the last thing you need is a compressor fridge and a diesel heater. These both eat battery amps and should be avoided at all costs.

If you have a 3 way fridge and a gas heater then you will do well with a solar panel. 100 watts is a good size, ours is 80 watts. But it also depends on how long you run the satellite TV and the lights of an evening.

Do you know how many amps your evening entertainment takes and how many amps the lighting takes and how long each are used each evening?

From this we can estimate the average ampere hours taken each day and see if the panel can keep up with it.

If you have two batteries I would retain them both, it gives you more latitude for dull days.

Keep smiling.

C.

:-D :-D :-D

Many thanks everybody, where else could you get unbiased comments ONLY on the MMM forum.

All I have do is find the money. As everybody is so help full where can I get the best price on Solar Panels & Reversing Cameras???

Many thanks

Paul :-) :-) :-)

Hi Clive,

I would not be without my reversing camera. There is no rear window in my van for a start! Mine is fitted high up and acts both as reversing camera and "rearview mirror" while on the move. The colour picture helps me to pick out detail but I guess that's personal preference. It's supposed to work at night but in pitch black its difficult to make out sufficient detail so the Boss very, very occasionally has to get out and check the last few inches of movement.

I've linked a 100W solar panel with 2, 110 amp hour batteries and even use it to charge an electric bike via a 700W mains inerter. We virtually never use mains hook up and have not run out of power yet - but we don't usually stay put for longer than 3 nights. We use the standard fit halogen lights and TV/DVD for several hours each night, plus blown air gas heating.

I'll know more once we have got through the (first) winter but so far I'm very pleased with the set up. If weight is the reason you want to dump a battery have a look at Elecsol Carbon Fibre leisure batteries they are much smaller and lighter for a given capacity than others I have seen.

Bob

Archived