Dometic fridge and Autogas

davoscar

We have a fixed tank gas supply which I fill up at the Garage, mind you we don't use that much so its usually only once a year! Read a piece in Practical Motorhome this month which says that Dometic don't recommend using autogas for their fridge. Now when we are out all day thats the one thing we DO use the gas for to keep the fridge going. It seems Autogas can contain a smidgen of oil - 'our Dave' replied that it was probably true but not everyone has probs - but to buy from a local gas supplier rather than the Garage forecourt. Good advice but we are now full so that's for the future. My question is if there are problems,('sooting' was mentioned) how easy is it to sort out and is it a job for a technician? Has anyone had problems thanks David

Hello David,

You may like to search under author "Robin" and key words "Dometic" and "Autogas". There was an extensive discussion of this subject following Robin's post in July, I think and you may find some useful comments there. One of my posts contained a direct answer I had from Dometic's Tech Dept. I resolved eventually to have the 'fridge serviced at each annual habitation check and to go ahead and install refillable cylinders. It's been 3 months and no problems so far.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Hi David,

I agree with Bob we have been using Gaslows for three years and filled up at home and abroad on many occasions (the cylinders are now in profit) and we have had no problems whatsoever. I carry out my own habitation check and servicing and there has been no change at all.

I'm inclined to think it is another one of those 'scare' stories in the same vein as being gassed abroad in Aires! (does Dometic have shares or an interest in Calor by any chance?)

Bas

Does'nt matter where the gas comes from, propane is propane and that is it. we did have one customer with a duff new cyl, unfortunatly he worked for the supplying company,(we delt in larger domestic systems), but its very unusual. autogas, calor, shell, just a red herring, if you have a problem its just bad luck, go for it, and have fun.

Cheers

Archived