Self-repairs to bodywork

tar23

Hi all,

We bought a four month old MH for a very reasonable price. One of the reasons was it had a little damage on the top rear corner where someone backed it into a tree branch (it was LHD in the UK and I don't think the driver could cope with it very well).

My OH is very good with repairing all sorts of things and is sure he can do it himself with the right materials.

What do you use to repair bodywork and where do you get it from? Also, the paintwork is 'Arctic White', anyone know where to buy a supply of paint from?

Many thanks

T

Depends on what type of construction the motorhome is. If its aluminium skin then you need to use aluminium sheet but its very difficult to add a patch without it looking rough. Usually best to replace an entire sheet which can be a huge job.

If its GRP skinned then you can repair it with a fibre glass repair kit but again it can be difficult making a good "invisible" repair. Best bet for a paint match is to find your local commercial paint supplier, if they're any good they should be able to match the colour if you take either a small sample (locker door for example) or the whole 'van to them.

D.

Thanks for the quick response :-D

I think the body is ABS? Does that mean anything to you? Its not fibreglass, but OH thinks its glueable with epoxy resin type stuff. Luckily the repair is right at the top left hand corner of the van and is not very visible so a completely invisible repair is not vitally important, although we would of course want to get it as good as possible.

T

totally agree with dave, a good paint match will be readily available at you nearest motor paint supplier. the best thing to do would be take the MH to them and let them match the shade. they will also put it into an aerosol for you and have all the matching products and primers etc that you will need. just a tip though, when rubbing down, always use a good quality tacky-rag to get rid of all the minute dust particles that you wouldn't otherwise be able to see until you spray!!

tar23 - 2007-10-31 8:45 AM

Hi all,

We bought a four month old MH for a very reasonable price. One of the reasons was it had a little damage on the top rear corner where someone backed it into a tree branch (it was LHD in the UK and I don't think the driver could cope with it very well).

My OH is very good with repairing all sorts of things and is sure he can do it himself with the right materials.

What do you use to repair bodywork and where do you get it from? Also, the paintwork is 'Arctic White', anyone know where to buy a supply of paint from?

Many thanks

T

Try visiting a UPVC window workshop there is usually one on Trading Estates that will sell you a repair kit that works like apoxy kits, you mould it like putty and when it dries it dries rock hard. We first bought some for the shower tray in our caravan and it worked a treat, so when we had a slight accident with the guttering on our bungalow my BH used it to repair it, that was well over a year now and you cant see where the damage was ! he finished it with a paint spray that he got mixed from a paint workshop as long as you can get the number of the shade.

Archived