Wifi Hotspots and FON

enodreven

Hi, I know its not strictly a motorhome issue but i am sure a lot of us use our laptops while away and i have been reading an article regarding BT joining up with FON, from what I can gather people join FON and somehow open part of their Wifi system to allow other FON users access which sounds to me like a good idea as they say it is safe ?

The point that I am trying to find out about is it really safe and has anyone signed up or know any more about it good or bad, as I am thinking of signing up myself if it means we may be able to use the BTopenworld hot spots

does anyone know any thing about this ???

www.FON.com

I am "IN" with BTFON and already its been usefull.

First as I read it your BT Home HUB, is given two WiFi identies , your own normal one where you retain your encryption for the security of your domestic network, and a second un-secured one for other "FONERS" to use.

Also being a Foner you can now use any BT Hotspot for free, without using up your Openzone credit or even joining Openzone. I found that my laptop browser just opened up actively without entering any username or password whilst sitting in the vehicle outside the Lamb in Burford a couple of weeks ago. It's uncanny after using all the logging in necessary with Openzone.

Its reduced bandwidth was fine for making Skype calls, though I have yet to try Skype with video.

I think its potentially great.

I can get a viable signal on the road outside my house, so the range looks usable for others.

Archived