Using Reverse Camera Screen For SatNav Display

catinou

We have an Autotrail with flip down screen for the reverse camera / TV/DVD player and use Autoroute 2007 to assist with navigation and route planning - especially in Europe. Does anybody know if it is possible to connect a laptop to the screen please? This would mean the laptop won't have to sit on my lap (I navigate and rarely drive, and of course the screen would be turned for passenger only to "read").

At present the screen can only be used if the engine is running, when reverse gear is chosen. My husband is convinced there is a "gadget out there somewhere *-)

If your laptop has a composite video "TV out" facility then yes it could be connected to the flip down screen. I see no real reason why it would have to be turned toward the passenger to "read" though. My only reservation is that in the Autotrails I've seen this screen is quite large and may obscure too much of the driver's view forwards. I believe there is a selection in the menu system of these screens to enable them for vieiwing all the time.

D.

Guest Tracker

I use my Autotrail reverse camera as an internal rear view mirror because the kitchen window is too high and too small to allow any benefit from the original internal mirror which now resides in a box under the bed just in case it is needed.

An added advantage is that the windscreen pull up blind is much easier to use!

Just switch the screen on and reverse the picture from the menu and it will work whenever the engine is on.

You should be able to input the laptop screen signal in the same way that the screen accepts the TV and digibox signal but I do not have a clue how!

Thank you Rich,

Hubbie will be pleased to read your input as he has mentioned (more than once) that the rear bedroom window is just a little too high for him to keep an eye on the trailer when we tow the Smart car! We will certainly be checking the connections (re laptop) but I for one will not hold my breath - the radio supplied is stated to be "ipod ready" or similar wording, but when we purchased the additional part to use the ipod, the fitters found all the connections at the back of the radio were already used for DVD etc.

At the NEc we purchased a little wireless gizmo that will play to any radio, when tuned to the same radio frequency from up to 30 metres - no more trailing wires - great! We paid £15 for the gadget so took the £49+ radio addition back to Halfords for a refund! Maybe something similar exists for the laptop? :-S

Guest Tracker

Jenny,

I don't understand ipod - the only pod I understand is one wot holds peas (or dolphins)!

I am not overly impressed with the radio either although a longer wing mounted aerial has helped.

But I am fascinated by the thought of your wireless gizmo, if you will excuse the familiarity, can you explain to the technologically challenged (me) what it does please?

Maybe if you unplug either the DVD or TV inputs you might be able to plug in a computer input in it's place?

I don't know about you but I find the cab TV screen too small to comfortably watch from the lounge and we get a much better picture from our separate digital / analogue LCD TV / DVD.

For ipod, read mp3, read - stop carting loads of CDs about by loading music onto said ipod -whoops, you were teasing me I think! :$

The wireless "gizmo" - can't remember the correct name - runs on 2 small batteries and plugs into the "earpiece" socket on the ipod. Just switch to the desired FM wavelength (marked on the side), tune the radio to said frequency and switch on and play - hey presto! your entire music collection at your finger tips and the gadgets can be shoved in the glove compartment out of the way! It works well at home too - every radio in the house can play form the ipod at the same time if you want it to (parties, I'm thinking!)- unless your house has rooms more than 30 metres apart of course *-)

We have found the screen too small for DVDs etc too but a good reverse camera screen!!

Guest Tracker

Far too technical for me Jenny!

The reversing camera as a mirror works well although limited on rearwards range, but it is OK when overtaking and would be great for trailer watching.

Archived