Fiamma Bike Rack

kelly58

No a Compass Suntor 115 the local dealer are Compass (Explorer Group) dealers so no problems with warranty issues. They will also do my habitation service more than £100 less than Brownhills not that I have any problems with Brownhills but lets face it every penny or pound in this case counts.

No experience of the Fiamma model I'm afraid - our aged and venerable MH came to us with a 3-rail Camping Gaz bike rack ready-fitted.

Despite it having three rails, there's no way in practice that you can get more than two pushbikes on it - so do ensure that whatever rack you end up with, that your two bikes will actually fit on it.

But in all other respects it's absolutely fine.

I suspect that the brand name on the rack doesn't matter too much - they all do basically the same job, and the engineering really ain't rocket science.

Just make double double sure that (if they are drilling to install mounting bolts) that they do put the bolts through the bracing spars on the rear wall of the MH body.

we were lucky that iur van came with fixings already there to fix a bike rack too.....bought a fiamma rack new off ebay and fixed it myself...dont know how good it is for bikes as we use it for a back box...dealer quoted hundreds to fix a bike rack on....you guessed it a fiamma (lol) (lol)

Kelly

I've got a drill and I'm not afraid to use it!!!!! >:-)

Seriously, I put a bike rack on the rear of our Rapido 709, wasn't difficult, I just identified the support under the window and secured the top brackets there, drilling right through the bodywork and into the interior, then put bolts through into a board and metal plates to spread the weight across the interior of the van - the board was hidden by the bead head. The bottom brackets I put through and secured again through a board and metal plates but they didn't go through any wooden support as the top was well able to take the weight and the backing board made sure the bolts couldn't pull through the van wall. The only other thing I did though was to make sure I didn't over tighten the bolts so that the wall wasn't squished, if you decide to do this yourself you might like to put some tubing in the holes, the same depth as the wall, to put the bolts through so that you can't squish the wall to be safe.

Go on ... be brave!!! (lol)

Hi Kelly,

Can I suggest you consider the Omnistor Plus carrybike. This has a better spacing for the bikes and generally better methods of securing the bikes to it. I got mine fromRobsons of Wolsingham cost £120 and quite simple to fit (v good instructions) once you locate the correct points.

PS dont confuse it with the ordinary Omnistor Carrybike as this has the same spacing for the bikes as the Fiamma model.

Hope this doesn't confuse the issue too much!

Mike P

Archived