Breakdown Insurance

michele

Guest Tracker

RAC Arrival via the CCC do a foreign cover extension but another alternative is to see if your insurers do?

I believe you might be able to extend the 12 month vehicle warranty Europe wide recovery but it is expensive (or my last Peugeot one was) and you might need to do it at the end of the first year?

Michelle,

Many motorhome insurers include it as part of the motohome policy, either built in or at extra cost. I know Comfort offer it at extra cost and Safeguard build it in. Worth asking your insurer as my impression is that it's cheaper this way.

Also worth checking that the company carrying out the cover can handle your weight and length of vehicle - a lot have quite low limits.

Mel E

====

Guys thanks for that .

Mel E I 'm with Safgaurd so i will give them a call sometime and check it out . We were just talking about it and wouldnt like to be without it .

I know it comes with the van just wasnt sure what happened once the warranty died . I know lots of people think that they will be automatically recovered and they are in for a big shock we have recently found out that most only recover 3.5 ton and wont or can't touch a 3.8 ton which ours is.

Once again thanks

Guest Tracker

A lot of people do not realise that whilst Fiat and Peugeot vans come with a three year warranty the RECOVERY part of that is only for one year.

I don't know about Ford, Renault and Merc - but if I had one of those vans I sure would check!

Ivys - 2007-11-02 4:08 PM

Michele, having spent some time on the phone today I also discovered that RAC can't help me (at 4500Kg and exceeding 7m). Green Flag can do it, but the price is pretty steep at £161.

Rog

Thats funny Rog because I was told differently basically they didnt want to know . When I asked why they said that their biggest was 3.5 ? I think sometimes its a case of the left hand does not know what the right is doing . I tried this some months back I think it was terry traveller who gave me the link . Anyway good luck please check and double check because when you need it thats when you MAY get a fright . Good Luck ;-)

Michele

Mel mentioned Comfort.  We are insured with them, and I can confirm that there is UK recovery etc with RAC and also a full European recovery service via RAC Insurance Services.  This cost us just £55 extra in July this year, and the details are all included (and clearly set out) in the basic insurance policy document.  There is no restriction as to size or weight for motorhomes.  However, there is a limit on total costs for any one incident of £2,500, above which cost you pick up the tab. 

Best way to get all the details, of which there are inevitably quite a lot, will be to get a quote and ask for a copy of the policy document.  Oh, and they're based in Dagenham, and usually very helpful on the 'phone.

Brian ,

have just renewed our policy with Safeguard again in Oct now firstly if I was going to change that would of been the time to do it but we didnt we are happy paying a little more but knowing that we get 's what we pay for .

I know the van is still in warranty and it came with Full breakdown European cover as well as home But as I said before warranty dont last forever and I know its covered with Safeguard .

We have used it before in France safeguard were excellent sending someone to the campsite but then we only had a temprture problem .

I will do as Mel suggested and I will phone them to make sure that we are totally covered in any event . The other thing Brian is I dont think I could change my policy now to comfort also not sure that I want to as I have had a good deal from Safeguard..

Its just something(For everyone )to bear in mind I need to know that I have the correct recovery in place just incase I need towing .

The timing belt went on my Vw the other day had to get the RAC to tow it home that was hard enough and its only a VW Caravell .

Its just that alot of the ones that I have phoned looking for quotes don't do 3.8 and or over ..I bet there are lots of people on here thinking they are safe and finding out they are not ????Think on people .

Cheers guys. *-)

michele - 2007-11-02 5:23 PM

Ivys - 2007-11-02 4:08 PM

Michele, having spent some time on the phone today I also discovered that RAC can't help me (at 4500Kg and exceeding 7m). Green Flag can do it, but the price is pretty steep at £161.

Rog

Thats funny Rog because I was told differently basically they didnt want to know . When I asked why they said that their biggest was 3.5 ? I think sometimes its a case of the left hand does not know what the right is doing . I tried this some months back I think it was terry traveller who gave me the link . Anyway good luck please check and double check because when you need it thats when you MAY get a fright . Good Luck ;-)

Hi Michelle,

Most recovery companies have limitations on length and weight. RAC will only cover over their stipulated sizes if you get your cover through the Caravan and Camping Club for instance.

Green Flag will cover up to any weight and length (for a very reasonable £68 in my case for UK), this is definate I have the book in front of me now, but only if you join through the Caravan Club Mayday scheme. But then you have to take out the Red Pennant scheme either for each journey or for multi journies for full European cover. AA also have restrictions but I don't know who you have to join to get there lengths and weights increased!

Bas

I phoned green Flag Basil to be told No sorry only 3.5s allowed ???

This is frightening as you are now the second person who has said that Green Flag can do it ? what worries me is can they ? Do they ?

If they do then I could of been sold a policy if they dont you and the other Rog I think will not be being recovered to a place of safety if you're over 3.5 ..I wonder if Green Flag know that they give out conflicting information .

Worrying indeed.

I had this myself with the RAC. I had been a member for over 30years and when I got the motorhome I realised that it was to long for their size requirements, so I \phoned them only to be told that they could not cover the motorhome unless I joined the Caravan and Camping Club. So there ensued a long and protracted 'discussion' on how they could not recover my van with my existing policy membership but could miraculously if I had joined the Caravan and Camping Club. I got absolutely nowhere and joined Mayday through the Caravan Club of which I was already a member and that is operated by Green Flag who state in the book I have here 'Any size or weight', so the RAC lost a long time member and I would not ever use them again out of principle.

Bas

P.S. The cover I have with GF covers both myself and my wife in any vehicle plus one named vehicle for any driver.

What gets me is when you buy a policy I dont remember them asking us what the weight of the van was. So how do they know that its not 4 tons and how do they know that they can recover it ?.

How do they put these things in place or do they have it on screen when they type in model numbers .

Link for Britannia:

www.britanniarescue.com

For policy details, click on the list on the left and you can view the full document in pdf format, item B7 (page 3) states:

"Motorhomes - must not be more than 8 metres in length and must be a recognised make and model which has been coach-built for that precise purpose. We will only cover vehicles over these limits if we have specifically agreed this with you in writing, before your cover began. If appropriate you must always carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel."

They also say under 'Vehicles' B4 (page 3) that there are restrictions, however, they again say they may cover vehicles over this size and weight with prior approval. Best bet is to give them a ring and/or email.

Worth a try.

Archived