Breakdown Insurance

michele

michele - 2007-11-02 6:25 PM

Basil,

So if I have this right Mayday belong to the CC ???.

We used to take red pennant every year with the CC but since we ceased membership and left obviously we have not bothered .

Yes Michelle that is correct, but it is operated by Green Flag!!!

Bas

michele - 2007-11-02 5:23 PM

Ivys - 2007-11-02 4:08 PM

Michele, having spent some time on the phone today I also discovered that RAC can't help me (at 4500Kg and exceeding 7m). Green Flag can do it, but the price is pretty steep at £161.

Rog

Thats funny Rog because I was told differently basically they didnt want to know . When I asked why they said that their biggest was 3.5 ? I think sometimes its a case of the left hand does not know what the right is doing . I tried this some months back I think it was terry traveller who gave me the link . Anyway good luck please check and double check because when you need it thats when you MAY get a fright . Good Luck ;-)

Michele, you will be amused to know that I phoned for confirmation and was told that 3.5 is their max. It's a good thing I didn't simply buy it!

Rog

Rog not sure amused is the right word .

I am pleased to know that you didn't buy it, I tell you the right dont know what the left is doing .

I only hope that others have not got it thinking that they will be rescued especially if over the 3.5 as discussed .

I wouldn't want to find out abroad and wouldn't advise anyone to go without double checking firstly.

Anyway glad you did . ;-)

FWIW

CC Red Pennent recovery is higher but also includes for hotel bills, hire of car, continuation of holiday etc. Pays yer money Etc !

Another downside (apart from cost) is that they only cover for 31 days at a time. But you can have as many 31 days, in a year. Say 11 trips of a month each.

rgds

Mel B - 2007-11-02 6:25 PM

Link for Britannia:

For policy details, click on the list on the left and you can view the full document in pdf format, item B7 (page 3) states:

If appropriate you must always carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel."

Snipped a bit !! ;-)

Interesting thought for the newer M/homes not supplied with a spare wheel .

Rgds

Hi, BrianFor a vehicle over 3500kg - £2500 seems a little low to me, our Mercedes car was recovered after an accident in Germany and from what I was told the recover costs were over £2000 and that was only for a car.It would be interesting to know how much it would cost for say a 3850kg MH to be recovered from southern France or Spain ? When I read the documents that came with our Safeguard Policy it appeared all the recovery costs would be met, the only difference between under and over 3500kg for recovery appeared at the time to be the supply/payments for the use of a hire car or hotel expense, they appeared to not be included if the vehicle was over 3500kg.Taking all of the above into account we still felt they provided the most competitive quote including recover for us and see no reason why we won't use them again this timeHope that helpsBrian
Brian Kirby - 2007-11-02 5:51 PM

Michele

Mel mentioned Comfort.  We are insured with them, and I can confirm that there is UK recovery etc with RAC and also a full European recovery service via RAC Insurance Services.  This cost us just £55 extra in July this year, and the details are all included (and clearly set out) in the basic insurance policy document.  There is no restriction as to size or weight for motorhomes.  However, there is a limit on total costs for any one incident of £2,500, above which cost you pick up the tab. 

Best way to get all the details, of which there are inevitably quite a lot, will be to get a quote and ask for a copy of the policy document.  Oh, and they're based in Dagenham, and usually very helpful on the 'phone.

Don't know, but presumably not that much different, since I would imagine the size of vehicle is less significant than the distance.  It may need a longer transporter, and I guess it's state at the point of collection would make a difference, but all the reports of recovery via Comfort/RAC have so far been positive.  For example, someone had a very large A class recovered fron North Africa a while back, and was very impressed with the service.

As ever, the details of any particular recovery package are for the vehicle owner to check before buying.  It all goes to show how important it is to get the full details in writing before you sign up, and not just rely on your understanding of a telephone conversation. 

People in call centres etc do get it wrong, and even if the provider eventually accepts it was their mistake, the best time to find out there has been a misunderstanding is not at the roadside on a cold, wet, night with bits of your van all over the carriageway!

hi people just got my breakdown renewel through today covered for vehicles up to 4250kg, 8m length, 3.5m height, 2.5m width under £60 for 12 months with shield

ps i have no links with shield just a satisfied customer & yes i have had the misfortune to have used them

Hi, BrianWas the recovery from North Africa arranged by Comfort as Don had mentioned in another thread that they arranged travel/medical insurance but he didn't mention breakdown cover, as I assume you are talking about Morocco when you say North AfricaBrianBrian
Brian Kirby - 2007-11-06 4:33 PM

Don't know, but presumably not that much different, since I would imagine the size of vehicle is less significant than the distance.  It may need a longer transporter, and I guess it's state at the point of collection would make a difference, but all the reports of recovery via Comfort/RAC have so far been positive.  For example, someone had a very large A class recovered fron North Africa a while back, and was very impressed with the service.

As ever, the details of any particular recovery package are for the vehicle owner to check before buying.  It all goes to show how important it is to get the full details in writing before you sign up, and not just rely on your understanding of a telephone conversation. 

People in call centres etc do get it wrong, and even if the provider eventually accepts it was their mistake, the best time to find out there has been a misunderstanding is not at the roadside on a cold, wet, night with bits of your van all over the carriageway!

Archived