DAB car radio?

Tony Jones

Once upon a time, car radios were removable pieces of kit: slot-in boxes which could be swapped easily for the latest model every time someone came up with an idea for making them obsolete. But the one on my new Tranny (sorry, that's TRANSIT, not TRANSISTOR) will be the all-singing all-dancing one with CD thingy, and (wait for it) CONTROLS ON THE STEERING WHEEL.

But I haven't found anywhere in the literature that says it'll pick up this new-fangled DAB stuff - and I keep hearing people saying the old-fashioned signals will be "switched off" sometime in the next few years.

I want this next van to last me for at least 15 years, so can anyone tell me:

1) IS "normal" radio going to be phased out? If so ...

2) is the radio in my new Transit likely to be able to "do the DAB?" (maybe it's just that no-one's mentioned it?) If not ...

3) am I likely to be able to pop into Halfords in a few years, and get a DAB job that'll drop in as a straight replacement, and connect up to all those controls?

I'd hate not to be able to switch off "The Archers" anymore!

Cheers

Tony

Guest Tracker

As I understand it Tony many car radio makers are holding back on digital car radios due to poor national coverage and many complaints over poor reception from the owners of sets already purchased.

I don't know the solution but as the after market for car radios is so huge you can bet they will start off expensive, just as TV digi boxes did and quickly become very reasonable - followed by very cheap, so I would not worry at all about it for a few years yet.

Hi Tony, your tranny radio will almost certainly not be DAB compatible as it is. I have a DAB/FM/AM/CD/MP3CD radio unit in my motorhome and with a decent DAB aerial its generally very good. The only problem is when you're travelling through an area of poor signal coverage 'cos the radio will drop out of DAB to the same station on FM (if it can get a signal) and back to DAB when the signal strength is better. The problem with this is that DAB is typically 2 seconds or so behind FM (because of the transcoding/decoding to/from digital) so when it goes from DAB to FM you miss two seconds or so and when it goes from FM to DAB you get a two second or so repeat. Thankfully, with a decent DAB aerial this has rarely occurred so far on our travels.

Mind you we are not nearly as well travelled as most of you guys :-(

D.

Hi All,

If you look up DAB info you will see that the reason every is holding back is that DAB 2 comes out in 2012 as this is the system to be adopted by France Germany and Spain so DAB 1 will be obsolete.

More interestingly is that DAB 2 will be able to recieve TV as well and just to put the boot in all analogue radio transmitions will be phased out

Richard

DAB does seem to be getting better, we have a BOSE Wave system [brilliant btw :-D ] and have just got their DAB add on, station options are increasing and so is reception quality, not sure I'd want one in the car / van until absolutely necessary, also have heard that the UK system operates on different level to everywhere else - so - what do we do on our jollies :-S

B-)

Even OfCom seem unable to make up their mind as to what the future of radio is, it could be DAB2 or DRM or something new, so I wouldn't worry about it, my one proviso would be, don't choose what I get as that will be obselete in about 7 years, i.e. I have a IDTV and a DTT box, both of which will 'lose' their digital tuners because OfCom has decided to switch off 2k transmissions >:-(

As I said before I use a DAB radio in my motorhome and I find it is very good most of the time. I prefer to use what is available now rather than be overly concerned about what may, or may not, happen in the future. In five years time I might not have this motorhome, I might not keep the radio as and when I sell this motorhome. If and when the current DAB system becomes obsolete I'll buy whatever is necessary to receive any new service.

D.

Upgrading vehicle specific radios is always a bit 'hit and miss'. (The OEM may provide certain add-on bits, and it is quite often possible to pick up a CD-changer that will connect, but completely new functionality for the future is different).

In the case of DAB, however, there is already a solution that will work if you have/can get access to the aerial input. (can be a bit difficult on 'integrated' radios, but always possible). Its even better if the radio has an aux input that can be switched to.

The Digital Revo is essentially the DAB equivalent of a TV set-top box.

I've considered buying one, but not yet made the leap, so can't vouch for performance.

Not quite the fully integrated solution you would prefer, but still quite neat.

See http://www.revo.co.uk/digital-radio/in-car.php

This will end up as the same situation when FM was introduced,how long was it before FM recievers became standard in vehicles? I have never rushed out to buy thelatest gizmo because they are rushed out without refinement. Wait a while and they will not only become better but cheaper as well!!

As Richard points out, one of the problems of the BBC trailblazing DAB is that they chose a compression/ encoding system that was already obsolescent (but proven) then. It is now totally obsolete.

Most other European countries will be introducing DAB with a later form of MP compression which gives much higher quality. DAB on BBC actually gives very bpoor quality - but it's OK for most purposes. Try comparing classical music over half-way decent speakers against the Bose system playing DAB and the difference is very noticeable. But if all you want is POP with lots of bass or speech, current DAB is fine.

Unfortunately there seem to be no current plans to switch the UK transmissions to a better system.

Mel E

====

Tony

I think your Tranny will probably have the same radio/CD as ours.  It is a good unit, but does not do DAB.  However it interfaces somewhere with the instrument cluster, so the dash also lights up when the radio is turned on.  It automatically switches off after an hour, and I am presently being told by Ford there is no work-around for this.  However, it seems from ours it is only necessary to press the radio "on" switch again to get another hour.  Irritating therefore, but not so irritating as having to find the ignition key! 

Becaues the radio interfaces with the instrument panel it also interfaces with Fords all singing CANBUS, which means that a Ford dealer has to do any fiddling with the radio.  Swapping to an alternative unit, I'm told, must be carried out by someone who can tell the CANBUS about the new radio.  Whether they whisper to it, or just shout, I've no idea!  However, I gather it gets the sulks if no-one tells it, and then makes your nice new Tranny misbehave in various unspecified ways!

Thanks for your responses, everyone.

Since I'm not over-bothered about getting "DAB," my main concern was whether there was any plan for a radio equivalent of TV's "Whitehaven Turn-off" (Junc 36 if I remember rightly!).

It doesn't sound as if that's imminent, so I'll stop worrying about it. No doubt when (or if???) the time comes there will be an answer of some sort. I'll "let the days own trouble be sufficient for the day."

Since this thread ISN'T called "Tony Jones," let's wrap it up now & let it fall off the bottom, unless anyone comes up with brand-new info.Thanks again

Tony

Since I'm not over-bothered about getting "DAB," my main concern was whether there was any plan for a radio equivalent of TV's "Whitehaven Turn-off" (Junc 36 if I remember rightly!).

Hope this classes as "new info".

See the BBC web site Here

No date has been set for switching off analogue radio in the UK. The decision about the future of analogue radio will be made by Ofcom and the Government once a full review has taken place taking into consideration the best interests of listeners and the radio industry.

Ofcom has so far recommended there be a review of AM transmissions in 2009 and in FM transmissions in 2012.

Graham

Is this like the wind-down of analogue TV, where the BBC has just been refused permission to use some of the freed bandwidth to offer an HD terrestial channel? This is because one HD channel uses the same bandwidth as 6 to 10 ordinary digital channels (some are more compressed than others) and so - wait for it - would leave less bandwidth available for their sell-off.

Unfortunately, the Governement has its eyes glistened by a new pot of gold like it got (£28 billion) for 3GL mobile phones.

Mel E

====

GJH - 2007-11-03 6:26 PM

No date has been set for switching off analogue radio in the UK. The decision about the future of analogue radio will be made by Ofcom and the Government once a full review has taken place taking into consideration the best interests of listeners and the radio industry.

Ofcom has so far recommended there be a review of AM transmissions in 2009 and in FM transmissions in 2012.

Graham

Cheers Graham, that's reassuring.

A few years before they even think about it, and they'll have to give a few MORE years "notice," so by the time analogue radio goes off-air we'll probably all have micro-engineered implants or something equally frightening!!

Tony

Tony Jones - 2007-11-05 10:44 AM

Cheers Graham, that's reassuring.

A few years before they even think about it, and they'll have to give a few MORE years "notice,"

Tony, I think the point is that there are a heck of a lot more radios in use than TVs so they would find it harder to get away with - but that's only the cynic in me (lol)

Tony Jones - 2007-11-05 10:44 AM

so by the time analogue radio goes off-air we'll probably all have micro-engineered implants or something equally frightening!!

Micro-implanted Wogan - now that is scary (lol)

Graham

I dont know whether the following applies to car radios, but seeing they use the same technology I would imagine it would.

I have a FM/ DAB windup / rechargeable radio with mains unit ouput 9V . (That what it says on the box)

When I got to the instructions I found that 24 hours charging gives 36 hours on FM, but only 6 hours on DAB.

Using the wind up for 60 seconds gives 1 hour on FM but only 3 to 5 mins on DAB.

My conclusion is that:

a) To use the windup for DAB, I would have to be continualy winding, (Why bother to put it down ?)

b) If it were a car radio, it could flatten a battery before the 20 mins cut off time came into operation. :$

Hardly an eco friendly piece of kit (?) I just wonder if other digital equipment is just as power hungry.

Rgds

Archived