How many miles

michele

On a set of Michelin can you expect to get our camper has done 18,000 and the tyres at the front are not looking as good as at the back .

Can anyone provide me with a little insight it has been looked after and we often rotate it on the drive as well as we are always using it .

What is the best website to look at to see for cost of new ones and where do we go if we need them .

Thank you all.

Good question Michele, sadly I don't have the answer as I don't use Michelin tyres at all but, this morning I had a three and a half year old motorhome in for hab inspection and on checking the tyres (Michelin XC camping) the fronts were down to just over 3 mm tread while the rears were showing 7mm+. I suggested to the owner that it might be a good idea to swap them front to rear to even out the wear a bit. Sorry I didn't notice how many miles the 'van had done.

D.

Dave can I just ask if I do that would it be silly because then I end up with the two at the front that have been removed from the back going down more so then I end up with 4 all the same .

Actually I supose it is best becuase that way I buy all four new together

I dont suppse anyone knows the cost please.

Guest Tracker

Given what the front tyres have to do on a three and a half ton van it is maybe surprising they last as long as 18,000 miles but I bet the smaller engined vans will generally see a lot more miles than that?

Putting all that torque from a 2.8 down on the road with so much weight on the back end must lead to wheel spin even if we can't hear it?

Add in the wear caused by over light power steering making the wheels feel so light when turning in tight spaces and cornering.

Add on the effect of weight transfer when braking given that the front wheels do around 80% of the braking and you have most of the reasons why I only ever buy premium tyres for my vans.

Sure they do not revolve as fast as many cars but they do work a lot harder in every other way.

Must nip out and check mine in the morning as after 10,000 miles they might now be about ready to swap round!

Guest Le Thou

I seem to have read somewhere that it is unusual for anyone to literally wear out a set of tyres, although Tracker is partially correct the important factor is that the tyres on your motorhome are very different in composition to those on you average car.

They are specifically designed to sustain greater stresses over longer periods and usually have heavier load perameters.

I think that you will probably expect to change your tyres due to age rather than mileage as I am thinking that they have to be changed at 5 years of age regardless of the amount of tread left.

Hope this helps

I have just traded in a Peugeot based nuevo with 14000 on the clock over 18 months and the tyres still had loads of tread left. Both front and rear.

Michelle: don't forget you may be able to get the VAT off on any new tyres you have.

Pete

Archived